Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

replacement wiring with "modern" fuse panel...any input
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
guzzirider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: replacement wiring with "modern" fuse panel...any input Reply with quote

OK my 69 DOKA is suffering for 48 yr old wiring and at some point someone let their 5 yr old loose under the dash with scissors!

So I need a new wiring system. I seems to me that it would be best upgrade to a more modern system in total, Modern fuses, some extra circuits for things like more gauges. maybe a USD and power outlet in back seat, rotating cooling fan on the dash.

I know all the die-hards are going to panic and say go with an original replacement loom. But it really is an outdated system When I did my front end I updated to Disc brakes Very Happy

So who has used what systems and how did they work? There are several available..I am looking at Rebel

[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: replacement wiring with "modern" fuse panel...any input Reply with quote

You can buy a fuse bloc and relay at any auto parts store. I have two, one that is hot all the time and the other when the ignition is on. I use it for gauges and accessories rather than splicing into the original fuse box.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: replacement wiring with "modern" fuse panel...any input Reply with quote

summit racing complete wiring harness ..
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: replacement wiring with "modern" fuse panel...any input Reply with quote

The only replacement harness that I'm aware of is the main loom from front to rear. I don't think that the under dash harnesses are available. You'll have to make/repair what you need. When I replaced the one year only fuse box in my Camper I used 2, 6 position, blade style fuse blocks from Blue Sea Systems. They are a boat electronics supplier. I fabbed a metal frame which housed the fuse blocks and mounted them to the original fuse box brackets. The relays have to be mounted individually as they don't plug into the replacement fuse box. The modern fuse boxes are flexible in that they allow you to bridge circuits like the original fuse box had, for example the bridged buss for the high/low beam circuits. If I did it again, I'd do it exactly the same. My charming door buzzer even works!

I just pulled a new harness into a 73 that had some monkey business under the dash, wrong year dash, turn signal, etc... The replacement harness was very nice and a value as far as I'm concerned, but as mentioned, all the wiring under the dash needed repair/replacement.

Good luck!
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: replacement wiring with "modern" fuse panel...any input Reply with quote

I replaced my complete wiring harness with the deluxe version from Rebel Wire. It was straight forward and not to bad.

http://rebelwire.com/rebel-wire-products.php?cat=Wire%20Kits
GfunkBus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: replacement wiring with "modern" fuse panel...any input Reply with quote

Why don't you just do what I did ... (sarcasm)...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Going to eliminate and streamline it this month hopefully.... If I'm lucky. Lots of unused elements in it lol...
It Runs! -- http://youtu.be/kT5hOtwiOgk
And drives! - https://youtu.be/rVkoAgeOop0
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: replacement wiring with "modern" fuse panel...any input Reply with quote

Impressive amount of wire... (sarcasm)

I assume there's method to the madness?
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Fez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: replacement wiring with "modern" fuse panel...any input Reply with quote

GfunkBus76 wrote:
Why don't you just do what I did ... (sarcasm)...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Going to eliminate and streamline it this month hopefully.... If I'm lucky. Lots of unused elements in it lol...

I think what you have there is 'plughetti'.
GfunkBus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: replacement wiring with "modern" fuse panel...any input Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Impressive amount of wire... (sarcasm)

I assume there's method to the madness?

After many years, I got to the "just want it to run" phase of my conversion... So I pretty much just plunked the whole jetta wiring harness in the bus and got things operational...

Now I'm finally getting back to it.... time to make it a little more streamlined............ Hopefully.
It Runs! -- http://youtu.be/kT5hOtwiOgk
And drives! - https://youtu.be/rVkoAgeOop0
guzzirider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: replacement wiring with "modern" fuse panel...any input Reply with quote

Ivese676

how was the Rebel wiring kit? complete, with instructions?

how long did it take you to do the install

Thnaks JS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: