Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Acapulco Tops
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Acapulco Tops Reply with quote

Back in the 70s and 80s in Southern California, I would see the occasional Acapulco driving around with their distinctive top and colors. My memory was they always had these fringes around the bottom of the top like this car in the Classifieds:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But fast forward to recent times all of the restored Acapulco tops seem to be striped like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So the questions is, which one is original? Did dealers install the tops so maybe local trends point to which top was produced? I see TTS carries the tops in the striped version so I'm guessing this must be correct and the fringes were just a common SoCal modification.
http://www.thethingshop.com/ACAPULCO-TOP-COVER/productinfo/BAB871003/
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Tops Reply with quote

Blue White stripes is correct
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Tops Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
Blue White stripes is correct

Ron,

Did VW also produce a yellow and white along with a orange and white top as well or were Acapulcos only produced in blue and white? I see TTS sells all three color options.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Tops Reply with quote

From what I know the blue/white cars were the only colors for US cars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: