Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will adding adj. beam to drop spindle setup smooth out ride?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Will adding adj. beam to drop spindle setup smooth out ride? Reply with quote

1960 currently with 2" drop. (145 front, 185 rear)

Country roads are hell, every crevasse and wave in road is amplified in this car.
If I was to add an adjustable beam to this setup, then raise the car height up a bit (but not to stock height) would the ride comfort improve? Or is the presence of the 2" spindles the culprit?

Another way to put it:
Am I correct in thinking the Adjustable beam only setup is a more comfortable ride than 2" drop spindle only setup?

Thanks

I'm just dreading removing drop spindles as they are tied into the disk brakes.

Last edited by sonoma_vw on Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Will adding adj. beam to drop spindle setup smooth out ride? Reply with quote

What tire pressures are you running, front and back?
What shocks are you running, front and back?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Will adding adj. beam to drop spindle setup smooth out ride? Reply with quote

Thank you 67,

145/65 15 are @ 33 psi (guessing it should be down to 25?)
185/65 15 are @ 29 psi

Hadn't thought about the shocks. I'm all ears for suggesting on comfort oriented ones. Cant tell what brand they are, but they are black. lol
I'll get my head under there and see whats what.

I DID buy a set of what would have been stock oil shocks for front and rear, (one pair red, one pair blue), but have not tried them yet as some advice was that they wouldn't be as responsive as modern gas ones.

What are recommendations for best comfort-oriented shocks with a drop setup? And are they supposed to be shortened ones, or standard length size?
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Will adding adj. beam to drop spindle setup smooth out ride? Reply with quote

Hi. With the suspension at rest, meaning the car just siting with maybe a driver/passenger inside, can you view both the front and rear to verify how far you are from the bump stops. VW's don't have lots of suspension travel so I would look here first. If you lack space between the bump stops and suspension components this could be your issue. Modifications are available to increase this.
Another check would be to remove the shocks and verify the car will bounce, meaning you push down onto a ender and verify the car easily goes thru it travel with ease and continues to bounce, maybe a couple of times based on your force pushing down. This could verify if any binding is happening within the K&L carriers or the torsion arms into the beam.
Also, shorter tires mean less sidewall and the sidewall needs to be factored into the total suspension, especially if comfort is expected.
Hope this gives you some ideas, Bill.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Will adding adj. beam to drop spindle setup smooth out ride? Reply with quote

Adding an adjustable beam won't significantly impact the overall ride quality of your car. The black shocks sound like the oil-filled type from Brazil that're available from many sources. They should be fine as long as the rest of the suspension is in good order as rockerarm describes.

You're probably running way too much pressure in your front tires. VW recommended only 17 PSI for stock-size front tires. Not much weight up there...
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Will adding adj. beam to drop spindle setup smooth out ride? Reply with quote

Re: "King and Link carriers" and the "torsion arm into the beam"...can i get reference pics for what they should look like? Thanks.

Suspension newbie.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Will adding adj. beam to drop spindle setup smooth out ride? Reply with quote

sonoma_vw wrote:
Re: "King and Link carriers" and the "torsion arm into the beam"...can i get reference pics for what they should look like?

In the photo below, the king & link pin carrier is the component that's positioned vertically and links the two torsion arms (also sometimes called trailing arms) together on each side at their outer ends. It also contains the front axle spindle (seen here with a blue protective wrapping) as part of it. The torsion arms (or trailing arms) are the four (two on each side) slightly-curved parts between the beam and the carrier. The beam is the main component of the front axle with the two horizontal tubes.

From the gallery...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Will adding adj. beam to drop spindle setup smooth out ride? Reply with quote

Awesome. Thank you for the brilliant illustration.
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Will adding adj. beam to drop spindle setup smooth out ride? Reply with quote

Dropped spindles ride better than an adjustable beam lowered down ….. Been there and done that. No comparison as far as ride quality goes.
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Will adding adj. beam to drop spindle setup smooth out ride? Reply with quote

sonoma_vw wrote:
Thank you 67,
I DID buy a set of what would have been stock oil shocks for front and rear, (one pair red, one pair blue), but have not tried them yet as some advice was that they wouldn't be as responsive as modern gas ones.

I have 2.5" drop spindles. I run a set of GR2 (gas) shocks. The ride quality on the daily drive, Sucks.
When I aggressively drive my car on the wine country roads here. They are great. I have thought of trying a set of stockers, just see the difference.

I think about 4 months ago. We suggested that you run the stock shocks. You have them in hand. Install them and see if that improves your ride quality.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Will adding adj. beam to drop spindle setup smooth out ride? Reply with quote

drop spindles give the best ride, you got to lower your tire pressure
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Will adding adj. beam to drop spindle setup smooth out ride? Reply with quote

By drop spindles providing "best ride", is that meaning the responsiveness for turns, or the comfort level (for me, comfort means not feeling every bump in the road), cause those seem to be two separate things.

If the daily drive is bad with your 2.5" + GR2 shocks, then why is the country driving great? Maybe the handling on the windy back roads are dealt with better than daily bad freeway concrete conditions?

Will report back after I try the 3 things everyone recommended:
- lowering the psi to 17 and check ride.
- removing the shocks to check the car bounce.
- installing the 1960 style shocks to see how those ride.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Will adding adj. beam to drop spindle setup smooth out ride? Reply with quote

My wine country road driving is aggressive. I accelerate hard from turn to turn and brake hard before entering those turns. Speeds can reach up to 85-90 mph. That type of driving is hard on the running gear and makes the front and rear of the car work harder to keep grip on the road. That's where the GR2's make it work. In normal traffic at sane speeds. The front end bounces at the small imperfections on the roadways here.

Stock Non-gas shocks and proper tire pressures will make a world of difference in how your car feels on the road in calmer times of driving.

Your relatively small front tires are not helping your subtle drive that was carefully engineered many years ago. Also the small tires are kinda defeating the ability of your disc brakes to effectively stop your car.

If your getting blown all over the road in windy conditions. You need some caster shims to help stabilize your ride at hiway speeds. They work! The only issue that I have had with the caster shims, is my horn blows occasionally during parking lot navigation Embarassed

Good Luck.

sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Will adding adj. beam to drop spindle setup smooth out ride? Reply with quote

No. Rides better with proper angles at trailing arms.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Will adding adj. beam to drop spindle setup smooth out ride? Reply with quote

Trailing arm angles affect smoothness of ride? Confused
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Will adding adj. beam to drop spindle setup smooth out ride? Reply with quote

Deleted*

Last edited by 67rustavenger on Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
kokanee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Will adding adj. beam to drop spindle setup smooth out ride? Reply with quote

These cars will never ride as good as a new car add a adjustable beam and it will not ride any better it will stiffen up your best bet is some stock shocks
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Will adding adj. beam to drop spindle setup smooth out ride? Reply with quote

shane red wrote:
No. Rides better with proper angles at trailing arms.

^^^^^^^ This
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
doc73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Will adding adj. beam to drop spindle setup smooth out ride? Reply with quote

I went from a stock beam, to a 4" narrowed with dropped spindles. Drove it home from a buddies shop on the freeway and without shocks that thing was scary! Oil shocks all the way, all day. Rides much better. Not as smooth as stock but thats the price you pay for the cool factor(personal opinion).

66 Bug
66 fastback (sunroof)
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Will adding adj. beam to drop spindle setup smooth out ride? Reply with quote

doc73 wrote:
I went from a stock beam, to a 4" narrowed with dropped spindles. Drove it home from a buddies shop on the freeway and without shocks that thing was scary! Oil shocks all the way, all day. Rides much better. Not as smooth as stock but thats the price you pay for the cool factor(personal opinion).

Missing shocks alone will not cause a scary ride. There's probably something dangerously wrong in the spring to trailing arm department, or steering links and alignment. Shocked

Missing shocks just ruin your hood, bumper, apron. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: