Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Finns doing a roadtrip in northeast USA 12-27 july
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tanhis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Finns doing a roadtrip in northeast USA 12-27 july Reply with quote

Hi,

So I am a VW enthusiast from Finland. We are doing a quite an road trip whit a rental car in Northeast USA starting on July 12 from Boston and from there to Washington DC and from there to near Cleveland and back to Boston July 26.

Here is still a rough route that we were planning to take.
https://goo.gl/maps/ajpdNWcJzFD2

Now my question would be is there something VW related to be seen on this route during this time period.

Or on the other hand is there some scenic routes etc that is a must see in this route.

Thank you for the help in advance.
-73 411 variant all metal custom
-69 typ 2, 9 seater
-89 vanagon camper conversion matkaaja
-08 3.0tdi phaeton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Finns doing a roadtrip in northeast USA 12-27 july Reply with quote

I can't speak to your entire route, but 95 South to Washington is not a fun or scenic drive. Major traffic artery, especially in the summer months. I encourage you to research more scenic routes. But, it depends on what you want to see....big cities (Boston, NYC, Washington, etc.) or the more rural (and prettier) side of our country.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Finns doing a roadtrip in northeast USA 12-27 july Reply with quote

I concur with the I95 corridor. It is almost constantly under construction, something that the average tourist does not want to deal with. Your trip will all depend on what, exactly, you want to see. If you're on a historic quest, downtown Boston and Philadelphia all have significant historic landmarks. Washington has it's museums and landmarks, of course. Living in eastern PA, you're route is taking you through major congestion and urban areas. If you alter coming down out of New York to hit Rt9 in New Jersey, you'll parallel the beach communities (and shore traffic on the weekends, unfortunately), but you'll get to see some typical eastern shore sites. Take that route all the way to Cape May, see some historic homes there, and catch the ferry with the car to the Delaware side. You'll have to wiggle your way northwest to Kent Island and across to Annapolis, but you'll avoid all the hassle of I95 to get into DC. Your trek northward through Maryland and mid/western PA should take you through some nice country in the hills. Can't say much about Ohio and northeast PA, but I'm not sure about the Buffalo to Syracuse route. Adjust a little further south and there are some fantastic mountain views to drive through. VW oriented things are few and far between unless you hit some VW shows throughout your trip. Check the show schedules listed here on the site to see if any coincide with your route and timing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Finns doing a roadtrip in northeast USA 12-27 july Reply with quote

Perhaps you could check here to see if anything lines up with your route dates and locations:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/shows/
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Finns doing a roadtrip in northeast USA 12-27 july Reply with quote

I've driven the loop you are looking at, and if you want to drive interstate highways and exist on rest stop food, which is pretty dismal, have at it.
Stop in Hartford at City Steam, some tasty beer. Skip 95 in ct, and go for rt 15 when it is the merit parkway from new haven ( owl shop for whisky and a smoke)down to ny state line and becomes the Hutchinson river parkway. If you are going into nyc it's easy over the Whitestone bridge
If avoiding nyc take tappen zee bridge and stop in Nyack for lunch, if you are into tasty treats Velo will do you right.
If coming out of nyc, via Holland tunnel run south on turnpike, and yes, take garden state parkway or rt 9 to south end, ferry to Lewes (dogfish head brew pub not far from there) and motor to Annapolis. Very boat centric, us navy academy and chock full of good eats.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Finns doing a roadtrip in northeast USA 12-27 july Reply with quote

Out of DC, take 68 through Cumberland, the route is one of the first National roads, and you can loop up to Pittsbugh, and stop to see Falling Water, one of Wrights houses on the way
If you go into Pittsburg, the entry into town via 376 is pretty cool. I admit I don't really remember my time there, or in Cleveland, it was a long, loNg ....except that the Flats in Cleveland was a pretty fun area. Running I90 east is a mind numbing jaunt, empire brewery in armory square syracuse is a nice stop, as is Dinosaur BBQ.
Closer to Boston, stop in Northampton, college town with plenty choice of places to eat, and see who is playing at the Iron horse or at the Pearl.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Finns doing a roadtrip in northeast USA 12-27 july Reply with quote

The weekend of July 15-16 will be Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix, in Schlenely Park in Pittsburgh. Probably the last Grand Prix of it's kind in the USA, run on city streets, and run with all vintage race cars privately owned. Fantastic car show on the 15th, last year we had 3200 vintage cars of all makes, manufacturers, models. Close to 100 VW's. Very cool time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Finns doing a roadtrip in northeast USA 12-27 july Reply with quote

Not really VW but lots to see and we have found VW stuff there... It is "on the way" kind of

Th 11th through the 16th there is the Summer Brimfield show. There are people from all over the world there.

http://insidebrimfield.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Finns doing a roadtrip in northeast USA 12-27 july Reply with quote

Erie sucks don't come here!

No VW stuff to do, weather is very unpredictable, no good food choices unless you like chain restaurants, summer is very short and all the Harley riders will be revving their engines at every stop light to "be seen". The roar on the shore event is during that time frame and its non stop noise for a week.

But if you want to see American iron at a show every Monday evening there is a pretty nice show on the Bayfront and Presque Isle is worth a cruise around to see the north coast of America.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Finns doing a roadtrip in northeast USA 12-27 july Reply with quote

After a quick search, I see:

2017 - July 16, 2017 - Treffen at the Track
Holland, New York

Treffen at the Track will be held at WNY's ultimate raceway. This show is free to attend. There will be concession stands for all of your food and beverage needs. Over night camping is also available for free. If you choose to take a lap around the Track with your vw or Audi you will need to pay $10 this also includes the pass to watch the races. Vendors are welcome and set up is free. There will be awards given by the Track officials. Come out and enjoy the day in beautiful Holland, NY? Just 30 minutes south of Buffalo.

And:

July 15, 2017 - July 16, 2017 - 35th Annual Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Every July, Pittsburgh's Schenley Park is the scene of one of the nation’s largest car shows. The Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix stages an International Car Show – a combined show of 20 separate displays featuring over 2,500 cars. It’s a weekend show open to anyone – no invitation is needed. All makes, all years, all countries, including the U.S. are welcome, whether or not you’re with a car club. You’ll be a part of the show with the best parking spot all weekend to watch the vintage races on the streets surrounding the Bob O'Connor golf course. Shine up your ride and be a part of the show!

The Volkswagen Car Show is one of the longest running car shows at Schenley Park. They were the first club to venture up onto German Hill at Schenley Park, which is now one of the most popular areas on Race Weekend overlooking the thrilling turn 13 of the track. Volkswagens of all years and models are welcome. The Three Rivers Volkswagen Club is the event host and has been a great supporter of our event and helped establish German Hill as a destination over a decade ago.

Now in its 35th year, The Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix is a World Class automotive festival. What started as a 1 day event in 1983 has grown to a 10 day festival of car shows, races, rallies, tours, and much more capped by two race weekends. The week finishes out with Schenley Park weekend. Over 2500 show cars from every corner of the globe take over the Bob O'Connor golf course while vintage race cars take to closed public streets for racing action the way it used to be. All event proceeds benefit charity. Since 1983, the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix has raised over $4 million dollars to benefit the Autism Society of Pittsburgh and the Allegheny Valley School.

For further information and a full event calendar please visit http://www.pvgp.org/events/volkswagen-car-show/ or email [email protected]

On the second weekend your here I see:

July 22, 2017 - CVA’s 4th Annual FROG ROCK Gathering
Eastford, Connecticut

NOON TIL 3PM. A social event for all VW’s. Burgers, Hot Dogs, Seafood and Ice Cream available at the food stand. Next we head down the road to the Tri State Cruiser’s Saturday night cruise from 3 till dark at the junction of Rt.169 and Rt. 101, Pomfret Center. For more info contact: Bill Arute (860) 395-9964 [email protected] or Brent St Louis [email protected]

I'd skip the whole DC I 95 part and head North to Vermont/N.H./Maine, but thats just me..... Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
tanhis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Finns doing a roadtrip in northeast USA 12-27 july Reply with quote

Thank you for all the tips this far. I really need to dig into it next weekend when we are doing the detailed plan.
-69 typ 2, 9 seater
-08 3.0tdi phaeton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Finns doing a roadtrip in northeast USA 12-27 july Reply with quote

Are you camping or seeking the urban experience? If I were doing the route you described it would be to visit family and friends, D.C museums, Philladelphia, Manhattan, Boston, or blow on past up to Maine and New Brunswick.

Interstate 95 is the best thing that ever came out of the Northeast Corridor though.

Post to this thread to let us follow when you get here.
tanhis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Finns doing a roadtrip in northeast USA 12-27 july Reply with quote

We are visiting friends in Boston area, Boonton NY and Mansfield Ohio.

We will not try to drive and find parking from Manhattan and were planning to take commuter train from Boonton to Manhattan or other public transport.

We will visit Boston city but as we have already been there once so we might not spend that much time there.

In Washington DC we were planning to visit the space and air museum and have quick look of the places that you normally see at the movies.

In Ohio we will visit the "rollercoaster capital of the world" at Cedar point.

And we were also planning to visit the Niagara falls. But otherwise we will just find accommodation while we go so that we are not tied to tight schedule.
-69 typ 2, 9 seater
-08 3.0tdi phaeton
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Finns doing a roadtrip in northeast USA 12-27 july Reply with quote

There is a TON of stuff to see and do in Washington DC, let me know when you plan on being in the city and where you're staying, maybe we can grab a beer.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Finns doing a roadtrip in northeast USA 12-27 july Reply with quote

Outside DC near Dulles is the 'other' national air and space museum.
tanhis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Finns doing a roadtrip in northeast USA 12-27 july Reply with quote

Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
There is a TON of stuff to see and do in Washington DC, let me know when you plan on being in the city and where you're staying, maybe we can grab a beer.

Thanks for the offer I will let all of you to know where and when are we moving.

BTW we would need a sim card for at least one of our phones that has unlimited internet. Any suggestions.
-69 typ 2, 9 seater
-08 3.0tdi phaeton
tanhis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Finns doing a roadtrip in northeast USA 12-27 july Reply with quote

Just arriwed to Salem MA
-69 typ 2, 9 seater
-08 3.0tdi phaeton
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Finns doing a roadtrip in northeast USA 12-27 july Reply with quote

I'm laid up in the Albany NY area until my knee heals, so let me know if you are driving by. Send me a pm to contact
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Finns doing a roadtrip in northeast USA 12-27 july Reply with quote

tanhis wrote:
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:

Thanks for the offer I will let all of you to know where and when are we moving.

BTW we would need a sim card for at least one of our phones that has unlimited internet. Any suggestions.

Not really keen on phone things, but, I would think you could get one at Walmart or any phone store. Have a safe trip!
tanhis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Finns doing a roadtrip in northeast USA 12-27 july Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I'm laid up in the Albany NY area until my knee heals, so let me know if you are driving by. Send me a pm to contact

Maybe we will stop by on our way back from ohio on the week after.

I will sen you contacts if we are passing by
-69 typ 2, 9 seater
-08 3.0tdi phaeton
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: