Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil pressure
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kthullen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Oil pressure Reply with quote

So, new the VW thing here, used to mopar, finding it a challenge, my question, we just bought a 63 bug with a 1776 engine, can anyone tell me what the oil pressure should be at idle, it runs about 40 to 45 when running, but drops to 2 to 5 at idle, also the light to the left of the turn signal indicator comes on. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure Reply with quote

40-45 is good oil pressure. As a general rule about 10psi per 1000 RPM. If you idle at 800...8psi depending on the accuracy of your oil pressure sending unit, I think they should light up at about 3psi. Some are more accurate than others as is true with the gauges.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Kthullen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure Reply with quote

Thank you, sounds like we are fine here then, another question if you don't mind. Is there a preferred oil type for a 1776 engine?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure Reply with quote

Kthullen wrote:
Thank you, sounds like we are fine here then, another question if you don't mind. Is there a preferred oil type for a 1776 engine?

Read this thread if you dare. The synopsis of all the posts is in the first post. But if you try to read that thread, set aside a couple weeks at best.

Asking oil type/brand questions in a thread here will get the thread locked up quick. You have been warned.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=220755

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Kthullen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure Reply with quote

Apologies, for the faux, can I claim newbie mistake and promise never to do it again, and yes I see where you are going with this, I went there, and I do not have that much time. Thank you for the warning.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure Reply with quote

If people spent more time using lubricants for more natural activities there would be so much less acrimony on the Internet.

Welcome to the Samba!!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
40-45 is good oil pressure. As a general rule about 10psi per 1000 RPM. If you idle at 800...8psi depending on the accuracy of your oil pressure sending unit, I think they should light up at about 3psi. Some are more accurate than others as is true with the gauges.

Keep in mind your pressure gague is likely fairly in accurate at the low say 10% or high 10% of range. most gages are designed for best acuaracy near middle of scale range.

The 10 psi per 1K rpm is a low limit, wear limit at cruising speeds, at slow idle this numner can be safely per run lower, but cruising, higher rpms, you want 10 psi as a minimum.

if not, consider oil weight change, investigate oil temperature, it might be getting too hot, and also a big factor is the oil pressure relief spring(s) and plunger(s). worn ones, conterfiet ones, etc.. can cause oil pressure problems. aftermarket sells booster springs and pistons to up the oil pressure.

also consider if the oil pump was blueprinted or not, if the cover is not lapped flat, or is an aftermarket flat type (no raised edge around cover to stiffen it) the bow in the cover will open up clearance over the pump gears, and result in pressure loss. also use of other than the special .002 inch or less paper gasket under the cover will result in pressure loss, you want the cover to gear gap to be very small. an cover without raised edges (ie 3/16 inch thick steel flat cover) will bow up in the middle about .004 inch when torqued to spec. the stock vw cover with raised edges had no detectable bow. using a dial indicator you can confirm this

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure Reply with quote

Kthullen wrote:
So, new the VW thing here, used to mopar, finding it a challenge, my question, we just bought a 63 bug with a 1776 engine, can anyone tell me what the oil pressure should be at idle, it runs about 40 to 45 when running, but drops to 2 to 5 at idle, also the light to the left of the turn signal indicator comes on. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

I've found similar on my VW equipped with VDO pressure gauge (1835cc engine), tach, oil temperature. And that engine has been running like that for 31 years now, Arizona heat; I don't worry about it.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Kthullen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure Reply with quote

After reading all the replies, and talking with one of the employees at Painters here in the Denver area, I have come to the conclusion that for the most part the oil pressure gage although it serves a purpose, lies like a dog, and causes more worries than it should. I should like to thank you all for the replies, I am slowly, and I mean slowly gathering the knowledge I can, thank you for the warm welcome.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure Reply with quote

Kthullen wrote:
After reading all the replies, and talking with one of the employees at Painters here in the Denver area, I have come to the conclusion that for the most part the oil pressure gage although it serves a purpose, lies like a dog, and causes more worries than it should. I should like to thank you all for the replies, I am slowly, and I mean slowly gathering the knowledge I can, thank you for the warm welcome.

You will do well here. In three days you have ratted out the lies and deceit of the internet...

Applause Applause Applause
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Kthullen wrote:
After reading all the replies, and talking with one of the employees at Painters here in the Denver area, I have come to the conclusion that for the most part the oil pressure gage although it serves a purpose, lies like a dog, and causes more worries than it should.

You will do well here. In three days you have ratted out the lies and deceit of the internet...

Applause Applause Applause

Speaking of ratting out the lies and deceit of the internet....my own 1971 VW Convertible has four of the most common "cannot do" things of VW lore, including the thoughts of manyon this board:
1. 1835cc engine
2. External oil cooler mounted on the non-doghouse fan shroud
3. 009 distributor (partial disclaimer, it is a German one)
4. Non-1971 engine lid, and lid standoffs
and 31 years on that engine and going.....in Arizona heat....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure Reply with quote

Oil Type= I glanced over the posts, and didn't see it mentioned. With flat tappets, make sure your oil has Zinc added. If not, you may need an additive.
Kthullen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure Reply with quote

The internet is a worthy foe, I intend to concour it some day. And as far as that goes, got yelled at for asking oil type. And I would think as new as it is, only 9000 miles on the engine, and I believe a new build, got all the recipiets on the build. I know where it was built so could find out easy enough. I am guessing the zinc is like leaded gas added as a lubricant? Your car sounds like a nice ride, still getting in to this, the 63 bug is nice as it is in good shape across the boards, need the front seats reapolstered, my son got a 70 fastback a lot rougher it's gonna take a bit of work. Need to learn how to deal with dual carbs amongst other things.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure Reply with quote

Quote:
Speaking of ratting out the lies and deceit of the internet....my own 1971 VW Convertible has four of the most common "cannot do" things of VW lore, including the thoughts of manyon this board:
1. 1835cc engine
2. External oil cooler mounted on the non-doghouse fan shroud
3. 009 distributor (partial disclaimer, it is a German one)
4. Non-1971 engine lid, and lid standoffs
and 31 years on that engine and going.....in Arizona heat....

Cusser, No plastic fuel filter in the engine compartment? Just think how well it would run and how long it would last if you would just do things right. Wink

A dual carb 1776 is a nice motor, congrats.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Cusser, No plastic fuel filter in the engine compartment? Just think how well it would run and how long it would last if you would just do things right. Wink

Actually, I have an all-metal fuel filter in the engine compartment of this engine (and none on my 1600cc engine); but it's mounted on the right side of the engine. Don't let the appearance of the engine throw you; the tin will all get painted black "next time" the engine has to come out. But it hasn't been out in a decade.....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Kthullen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure Reply with quote

In my view as long as does what it supposed to then it's good enough, in all honesty the 63 intimidates me. Thinks it's a power to weight ratio thing, also the feed back through the accelorator pedal is lacking, drove it in bare feet still couldn't feel it, different spring maybe? Has a roller pedal on it, a garage special, amazing what you can do with a bolt and a socket, but it works.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: