Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

power meter for house battery bank
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:57 am    Post subject: power meter for house battery bank Reply with quote

Here is my installation of a LCD power meter for the house battery bank under then bench seat. The rear heater was removed to make way for 2 group 24 deep cycle batteries. I wanted to utilize the defunct duct opening and came up with the idea to house this power meter.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

closeup of the meter display

Being so low near the floor I need to make a panel to tilt the display upwards. I decided to fabricate one with fiberglass cloth remnants.

first attempt using an improvised mold

no good - the compound angles did not turn out right

second attempt - i built a quick cardboard mold

this time the compound angles comes out right due to the purpose-made mold

here you can see there is not much depth because the batteries

rough out the meter opening

next i heck in a push button switch to make the meter easier to use
http://eat-drink-men-women.blogspot.com/2015/10/unzufrieden-impossible-to-please.html

i painted the fiberglass panel and mounted the meter

More detail of the construction here on a blog post:
http://eat-drink-men-women.blogspot.com/2015/10/unzufrieden-impossible-to-please.html

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei

Last edited by chase4food on Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: power meter for house battery bank Reply with quote

It looks great, it really does...but what is there aside from your own self awareness and caution to prevent something pointy hitting the lcd on the meter and putting a crack in it? Shocked You know...from a friend or kid who just isn't thinking about it!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: power meter for house battery bank Reply with quote

Very VERY nice!!! ^^^

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: power meter for house battery bank Reply with quote

Thinking you could also put another courtesy light down there.
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: power meter for house battery bank Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
It looks great, it really does...but what is there aside from your own self awareness and caution to prevent something pointy hitting the lcd on the meter and putting a crack in it? Shocked You know...from a friend or kid who just isn't thinking about it!

Thanks. The possibility of an excited passenger knocking the meter with the shoe was something that crossed my mind from the outset while brainstroming as to how to repurpose the air duct opening. My original consideration was to use the space to house an electrical utility panel. However the best location for the utility panel is vent port for the Dometic fridge hands down. Also placing the meter there is close to idea due to proximity to the battery bank and the current shunt. I also would not have to stare at the meter except when I want the information.

All good designs require trade off. To address the fear of the meter breakage, one can always buy 1 or 2 spares as it is quite cheap.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: power meter for house battery bank Reply with quote

I too pulled my rear heater...... I too have batteries under the seat (2 - 6volt golf cart) but I've yet to fill that heater vent hole .....

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: power meter for house battery bank Reply with quote

Can you provide the name/model number for the meter? This is too good of a mod to pass up! Good work!
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: power meter for house battery bank Reply with quote

WLD*WSTY wrote:
Can you provide the name/model number for the meter? This is too good of a mod to pass up! Good work!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013PKYILS?psc=1&...ge_o01_s00

scottbott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: power meter for house battery bank Reply with quote

very nice and not too expensive either
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: power meter for house battery bank Reply with quote

You could cut a plexiglass panel to fit into the opening as a cover, just make a hole to access the push button. It could also hold on with just a couple small rare earth magnets.
WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: power meter for house battery bank Reply with quote

Great work, wow! Love the custom fiberglass plate.

Just bought the same meter a week or two ago, it's working great and seems to be fairly accurate for the amp draw.

I ended up wiring the shunt between the battery ground and the negative battery post, is that what you did as well? I want to make sure I wired it up correctly.

Shunt is wired under the back seat where my aux batteries live. I installed it inside a Radio Shack project box to protect it. I ended up buying some 4 conductor wire at my FLAPS so I could run it up to the stove panel, plus put in a switch in to minimize draw when not in use.

chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: power meter for house battery bank Reply with quote

Darin wrote:
Great work, wow! Love the custom fiberglass plate.

Just bought the same meter a week or two ago, it's working great and seems to be fairly accurate for the amp draw.

I ended up wiring the shunt between the battery ground and the negative battery post, is that what you did as well? I want to make sure I wired it up correctly.

Shunt is wired under the back seat where my aux batteries live. I installed it inside a Radio Shack project box to protect it. I ended up buying some 4 conductor wire at my FLAPS so I could run it up to the stove panel, plus put in a switch in to minimize draw when not in use.

Nice clean install. Is the rocker switch for the meter too to make it easier to use?

Your wiring is correct that the shunt goes between the battery negative post and the van ground.

In my case the negative post of the battery just worked out so well that I just use it to support one end of the shunt. I didn't bother to build an protective enclosure for the shunt as the voltage across them will never exceed a few tens of mV.

WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: power meter for house battery bank Reply with quote

chase4food wrote:

Nice clean install. Is the rocker switch for the meter too to make it easier to use?

Your wiring is correct that the shunt goes between the battery negative post and the van ground.

In my case the negative post of the battery just worked out so well that I just use it to support one end of the shunt. I didn't bother to build an protective enclosure for the shunt as the voltage across them will never exceed a few tens of mV.

Thanks for the info! The rocker is just an on/off switch, I was looking over your detailed blog post and was wondering if you could post more about how you wired up your button? I'd love to be able to use a button rather then the end of my keys to turn on/off the backlight and reset the watt-hours.
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: power meter for house battery bank Reply with quote

Darin wrote:
chase4food wrote:

Thanks for the info! The rocker is just an on/off switch, I was looking over your detailed blog post and was wondering if you could post more about how you wired up your button? I'd love to be able to use a button rather then the end of my keys to turn on/off the backlight and reset the watt-hours.

I should add a note for those planning to buy this meter. It is designed to measure and calculate the current to/from the battery one way only. The wiring instruction they provide is for monitoring power being consumed. It will not measure or account for current being supplied by a charging source. This limitation is as designed to hit a price point.

Adding the external button switch is very simple. I just open the case and find the back side of the push button switch on the PCB. I solder the two wire across the internal switch terminals. There are 4 solder posts on the internal switch but if you look at the PCB traces you can tell where to solder.

in this photo, the push button is at the 4 solder posts (arranged in a square) to the very right.

EddyHendra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: power meter for house battery bank Reply with quote

In my case the negative post of the battery just worked out so well that I just use it to support one end of the shunt.
I didn't bother to build an protective enclosure for the shunt as the voltage across them will never exceed a few tens of mV.

Impedance Controlled printed circuit boards
Huxmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: power meter for house battery bank Reply with quote

chase4food wrote:
Darin wrote:
chase4food wrote:

I should add a note for those planning to buy this meter. It is designed to measure and calculate the current to/from the battery one way only. The wiring instruction they provide is for monitoring power being consumed. It will not measure or account for current being supplied by a charging source. This limitation is as designed to hit a price point.

Adding the external button switch is very simple. I just open the case and find the back side of the push button switch on the PCB. I solder the two wire across the internal switch terminals. There are 4 solder posts on the internal switch but if you look at the PCB traces you can tell where to solder.

in this photo, the push button is at the 4 solder posts (arranged in a square) to the very right.

Reviving this thread because I just got the same meter and would love to mount it with a rocker switch to completely shut off when not in use. Is there a way to wire in a switch without soldering (i.e., tapping into the + and ground connections)?

Thanks,

DJ
Italjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: power meter for house battery bank Reply with quote

I like it too Very Happy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-DC-Combo-Meter-12V-24V...o-3l_EWh5g

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: