Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

15º VW I4 Oil Cap, Metal engine lid.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: 15º VW I4 Oil Cap, Metal engine lid. Reply with quote

Hello folks.

Edit: Not suggesting that these caps are prone to failing in this manner just from normal use.

Since the engine lid design would be different than mine or it uses the OEM lid, I doubt this would happen to any of the 1.8T or other 15º swaps but thought I'd share.

I'd worked on my clutch lever yesterday. Today I take off the engine lid and see this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

at first I thought someone else did this and put something in the oil fill hole (I know, paranoid but it made NO sense). I look inside and see this:

The oil cap had lost its' plastic cover long ago. I think what happened was that over time, I was catching the cap with the engine lid (mine is super heavy) which in turn caused the cap to fail in this manner.

Last paragraph edited.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN

Last edited by Vanagon Nut on Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 15º VW 4 Cylinder Oil Cap Warning Reply with quote

This made me run out and check my own cap. Turns out I used a low profile Mercedes cap which has a plastic retainer to keep the metal tab in place if it becomes detached. That thing could've wreaked havoc in there if not for the oiling splash guard to protect the valve train.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 15º VW 4 Cylinder Oil Cap Warning Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
....Turns out I used a low profile Mercedes cap which has a plastic retainer to keep the metal tab in place if it becomes detached. That thing could've wreaked havoc in there if not for the oiling splash guard to protect the valve train.

Truth! It was dumb luck in several ways. I mean the cap could've ended up on the ground

The spare cap I found (Austria) has that plastic part you wrote of. I did just wonder if the broken cap had that plastic bit and that bit is now floating around on top of the splash guard.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 15º VW 4 Cylinder Oil Cap Warning Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
....Turns out I used a low profile Mercedes cap which has a plastic retainer to keep the metal tab in place if it becomes detached.

.... I did just wonder if the broken cap had that plastic bit and that bit is now floating around on top of the splash guard.

Yes.

Lucky. "plastic bit" ended up just beside the oil fill hole. (upper RH of center in image) But....

not so lucky. And me w/o a new valve cover gasket on hand..... Rolling Eyes Getting new parts up here is a drag. RTV red to the rescue.....

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 15º VW 4 Cylinder Oil Cap Warning Reply with quote

I can honestly say that I've neither seen nor heard of that particular failure mode before.

y u rune klassik?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 15º VW 4 Cylinder Oil Cap Warning Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I can honestly say that I've neither seen nor heard of that particular failure mode before.

I agree Casey. I quickly modified my initial post yesterday to reflect what you point to but will edit out the last paragraph. Regardless, I was clear about what I thought had happened. Truth is there's probably less than 10 vanagons in the world with this type of 15º setup. LOL. Twisted Evil

Thinking further, there's two more factors that enabled this issue:

my I4 is mounted at the air cooled vanagon position; the oil fill cap is ~ 2" closer to forward lip of the engine lid.

I measured my '88 plastic engine cover V.S. the '81 metal cover in question. Measuring from inside face of sealing edge that meets rubber seal on body, to end of lip as it sits in the engine bay:

'81 = 1"
'88 = 5/8"

That added depth on my engine lid was a big factor. Well, that and the added weight of "tubbing" it.

A comedy of errors, tears of a clown. Thankfully, after removing the valve cover I was able to retrieve all but one tiny broken piece of plastic.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 15º VW I4 Oil Cap, Metal engine lid. Reply with quote

Gotcha, so as you were periodically removing the engine lid it was catching on the cap and tweaking it slightly every time?

y u rune klassik?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 15º VW I4 Oil Cap, Metal engine lid. Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Gotcha, so as you were periodically removing the engine lid it was catching on the cap and tweaking it slightly every time?

Yes. I'm about 100% certain that's what happened.

I apologize to anyone who ran out to check their oil filler caps but it's possible someone with the same set up as mine could run into this problem. To wit (wow. I don't think I've ever used that phrase before. haha), I cut out some of the offending metal from the lid. At least all this provided the opportunity to look at my cam lobes and stuff. Things look ok. Nice and clean in there!

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: