Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

34 PICT 3 Choke Issues - Maybe Bushings?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NewTechnicIan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: 34 PICT 3 Choke Issues - Maybe Bushings? Reply with quote

Hi all, I've been driving my bug around this summer and loving it as it comes together a little bit more every time! One issue though, it seems like my choke may be having issues Crying or Very sad

So hear me out. I have a 1679, 34 PICT 3 Carb - rejetted to 55 idle and 125 main, SVDA dizzy. When the choke is fully off and the engine is warmed up, the thing ALWAYS runs beautifully. It's getting it warmed up that's the problem.

Most days it'll start right up without an issue. Sometimes it'll seem like it's coming off the choke too quickly and I need to give it gas to keep it going until the engine warms up enough to take the choke condition, sometimes it seems like it stays choked longer than it needs to, lots of gas smell and smoke.

I've adjusted the choke probably 8-10 times using the methods people talk about - Turning the choke spring until the choke is fully closed, and barely touching the choke pin.

However, it seems like the choke valve "holds up" randomly, and needs a little spring tension to move between positions sometimes. I would almost say it seems like the shaft isn't moving as smoothly as it could or as smoothly as it sounds like it should from people's descriptions.

Is there a way to grease the choke valve bushings or are there bushings that I need to replace to solve this issue? Or is this the main issue I'm having? Rolling Eyes

Anyway, thanks for your help!

My 1679 Engine build.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 34 PICT 3 Choke Issues - Maybe Bushings? Reply with quote

What brand 34-3 carb is this? Is the carb butterfly "sticking" in the housing? Sometimes they can get tweaked and the butterfly can "catch" against the side of the body.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NewTechnicIan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: 34 PICT 3 Choke Issues - Maybe Bushings? Reply with quote

wcfvw69, it's the original Solex for my engine. It does seem like it's sticking but not binding, just slow to respond. It's supposed to fall open under it's own weight, right? Because right now it seems like it needs some encouragement to move sometimes.

My 1679 Engine build.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 34 PICT 3 Choke Issues - Maybe Bushings? Reply with quote

NewTechnicIan wrote:
wcfvw69, it's the original Solex for my engine. It does seem like it's sticking but not binding, just slow to respond. It's supposed to fall open under it's own weight, right? Because right now it seems like it needs some encouragement to move sometimes.

The choke butterfly should never "catch" in it's range of motion in the carb body. I'd pull the top off of the carb. Pull the electric choke element out along with the plastic retainer behind it. Then pull the diaphragm out the front side. Make sure nothing is bent there. I've had luck in carefully bending the butterfly ever so slightly to get them to stop sticking.

While it's all apart, make sure all those parts are in good shape, installed correctly and check the choke diaphragm.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: 34 PICT 3 Choke Issues - Maybe Bushings? Reply with quote

One other thing to check, the fast idle cam is mounted on a brass bushing that is pressed into the side of the carburetor. The choke shaft passes through the bushing, and the little choke arm is mounted onto the end. That bushing can get lose and slide out of the carb body enough to press on the choke arm and make the choke stick.
NewTechnicIan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 34 PICT 3 Choke Issues - Maybe Bushings? Reply with quote

Well, I messed up REAL good on this one... Embarassed

I got the choke butterfly out of the carb and was going to pull the shaft out the side. The 10 mm nut on the end of the shaft was stuck on pretty good so I put a little more force on it....and bent the shaft Evil or Very Mad

I should have realized that without the butterfly the shaft strength was way compromised so I really buggered the thing up. I tried fighting with it for a few minutes, then just tossed it in the car and went to the local VW shop/parts yard. Noah happened to have a box full of carb parts and found an OG carb top from my same model, AND the butterfly falls open under its own weight! For $25 and a lunch time trip to see all the old aircooleds in the shop, I may have a solution by dinner time!

My 1679 Engine build.
NewTechnicIan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: 34 PICT 3 Choke Issues - Maybe Bushings? Reply with quote

Just to close the loop on this thread, I got the new carb top installed in just a few minutes last night and it seems like things are ticking over better than ever on the engine! Starts right up and warms up way smoother than it did with the old choke. I'm psyched! Just in time for a 4th of July cruise with friends.

My 1679 Engine build.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: