Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

check engine light on accessory mode?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blair1218
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: check engine light on accessory mode? Reply with quote

I parked my car and walked away from it only to realize I hadn't closed my sunroof. I went back and instead of fully starting my car, I put it into accessory mode and started closing my sunroof. Midway through, my car started making 2-3 sharp beeping noises and I saw a yellow light on the lower left dash. Again, the car was only in accessory mode and this happened while I was closing my sunroof.

I think it was the check engine light but it could have been anything at the lower left side of the dash. It happened all too quickly. I got scared and shut my car down completely.

An hour later, I went back in my car, started it, and had it run for a few minutes. Nothing happened. Then a few hours later, I started my car and actually drove a few miles. Nothing happened again. I'm still worried but I really want to avoid having to pay the diagnostics fee. I'm out of factory warranty although I have a third party extended warranty.

If this happened while the car was only on accessory mode, should I be concerned?
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: check engine light on accessory mode? Reply with quote

no clue as no idea year or model of car.... but why not stick key in door lock position to close it??
blair1218
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: check engine light on accessory mode? Reply with quote

Sorry, it's a 14 beetle with a push start button. I didn't start the car to close it because I didn't think I needed to. Do I need to start the car to close my sunroof? maybe that was the issue.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: check engine light on accessory mode? Reply with quote

Yes, the Check Engine Light was most likely what you saw. I would not be concerned about anything. There is little that the driver can do to turn on the Check Engine Light unless they left the gas cap loose.
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: check engine light on accessory mode? Reply with quote

wow.. your missing out... no need to open a door to roll up or down windows and to close the sunroof...

stick key in door... turn to lock and hold it... windows go up... sunroof will close...

stick key in door.. unlock and hold it.. the windows will roll down..
blair1218
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: check engine light on accessory mode? Reply with quote

Thank you all! I checked my gas cap and it seemed fine so I'm guessing it's a glitch then!

I didn't use my key because I have KESSY and in order for me to stick the key in I need to remove this cap on my door handle so it's much easier to just open my door and push start lightly for it to go on accessory mode but thank you for the tip!!
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: check engine light on accessory mode? Reply with quote

Some of the warning lights will be on in the dash if the car is on, but the engine is not running. Completely normal, and nothing to worry about. They do that so you know they are working. The beep was because the car was on, and the driver door was open. I guess it does that as an alert incase you are leaving the car and don't notice that the car is still on.

Central Jersey VW Society
blair1218
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: check engine light on accessory mode? Reply with quote

Oh my god thank you that makes sense!

I was getting paranoid I started thinking the indicator was flashing yellow while it beeped (and the loud high pitched beeps of course didn't help at all) and it was driving me crazy. I almost took it to the dealership and paid the $160 or however much the diagnostics fee costs.

So many things to learn about cars!
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: check engine light on accessory mode? Reply with quote

blair1218 wrote:
So many things to learn about cars!

That can be read in the owners manual. If only they could cut some of the legal BS in them, it would be much easier to read [and half as thick].
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: