Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

help first time removing engine from my 1973 Thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: help first time removing engine from my 1973 Thing Reply with quote

I have read a lot of the info on removing VW engines and looked at videos. I have found only two nuts and one bolt. I removed these and the engine has started to separate but still tight at the top. I don't want to crack case. Should I just proceed? I see not signs of a boss or stud. The three I removed two at bottom and top driver side..
New guy. first post
Pete
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: help first time removing engine from my 1973 Thing Reply with quote

There is one on the passenger side top you are missing. It is blind and the nut is inside the engine compartment. There is a bolt that goes through the starter and the other side comes out in the engine compartment and it threaded on there. Reach behind the engine and feel for it.
Pete VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: help first time removing engine from my 1973 Thing Reply with quote

I found it!!! I am a little slow in following instructions.
Engine is out. Body on pan is going into paint next week.
I am sure I will need more help as I go forward.
Thanks
Pete
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: help first time removing engine from my 1973 Thing Reply with quote

Good thread. I would like the opposite. I will be re-installing an engine, that unfortunately I did not remove, and I'd like to read instructions for doing that.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: help first time removing engine from my 1973 Thing Reply with quote

Not specific to a Thing, but this British guy is fun to watch:

[youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_s7x_etYgs [/youtube]

Link

Link

Link
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: help first time removing engine from my 1973 Thing Reply with quote

Getting at the bolt behind the fan shroud was fun (not).

For the install I bought an extra long ratchet wrench 17/19mm to get the needed leverage for my old arms. Very Happy
Made getting that bolt tight a much easier.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: