Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

check this out!!! 200hp 1.8t, 5 speed, Bay window Westy!!

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

Man, that's neat!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

I laughed the whole way through that video. Too fun! Congrats!

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

Thanks guys. That thing is fun! We kept it all stock looking on the outside, what a cool sleeper it makes, in more ways than one.

Andrew-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

from the pile of radiators, what one did you go with?
and any pics of said radiator install? or is it a trade secret with you and skills?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
from the pile of radiators, what one did you go with?
and any pics of said radiator install? or is it a trade secret with you and skills?

Ha! You're referring to this picture...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had everything there from a rabbit to a Ford Excursion, the winner was a Vanagon radiator. I'll post some pictures, the coolant lines fit in there like it came from the factory. I still need to do some highway testing before considering it done.
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

Love it and so tempted to do it with my bay.

Would appreciate rad set up photos.

Craig

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

HA... I've been following the H2o to Bay swap threads for sooo long
and I have a very similar pile of radiators and keep coming back to the vanagon one myself (eyeball engineering) both coolant lines point in the right direction.. the Bay guys don't usually have spare vanagon parts underfoot to compare against. so they go with custom fabbed aluminum bits.

even considered a M10 barb or banjo on the bleeder to create a purge line back to the coolant bottle loop.

if I could just get thru the mundane maintenance of 3 family vans I can get back into creative project mode and slip that SVX under my 72 bay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
HA... I've been following the H2o to Bay swap threads for sooo long
and I have a very similar pile of radiators and keep coming back to the vanagon one myself (eyeball engineering) both coolant lines point in the right direction.. the Bay guys don't usually have spare vanagon parts underfoot to compare against. so they go with custom fabbed aluminum bits.

even considered a M10 barb or banjo on the bleeder to create a purge line back to the coolant bottle loop.

if I could just get thru the mundane maintenance of 3 family vans I can get back into creative project mode and slip that SVX under my 72 bay.

I posted these on the Bay section, I'll put them here too, there is Vanagon content after all.

tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
I still need to do some highway testing before considering it done

I have a hunch you'll be just fine. Mine's been fine, but the V8 Explorer rad I'm using is like 100 sq in. larger than Vanagon. Single-speed or 2-stage fan switch? I'm using a single-speed early Rabbit switch; running this radiator setup for years with no issues.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
xoo00oox wrote:
I still need to do some highway testing before considering it done

I have a hunch you'll be just fine. Mine's been fine, but the V8 Explorer rad I'm using is like 100 sq in. larger than Vanagon. Single-speed or 2-stage fan switch? I'm using a single-speed early Rabbit switch; running this radiator setup for years with no issues.

Thanks tri'-

It seems to be just fine so far. Temps are perfectly normal, I also have the same single speed fan switch. I have a Volvo pusher fan on top the rad blowing air down. If I let it idle long enough, the fan will come on and it only runs for about a minute before the temp switch shuts it off. With the limited road testing I've done so far, the temp stays well below the temp needed to kick the fan on. The fan I'm using is made to be a pusher, not just a puller with the polarity reversed. It moves a lot of air and is very quiet.
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

I want this for my 90 MV. When will a kit be available?
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

CessnaJon wrote:

...2013? Laughing for the early-style 1.8t at least.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
CessnaJon wrote:

A couple guys got them as DIY kits, but no more. I've found it's easier just to do the complete job in house myself. I am just very small shop, I don't have the money, time, space, or desire get into production of a kit like Stephans or Bostig. I like things as simple and stress free as possible.
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
tristessa wrote:
CessnaJon wrote:

A couple guys got them as DIY kits, but no more. I've found it's easier just to do the complete job in house myself. I am just very small shop, I don't have the money, time, space, or desire get into production of a kit like Stephans or Bostig. I like things as simple and stress free as possible.

Wise man. And I say that as a guy who installed the SAH. Unless you have infinite patience and an incredible knack for technical writing, selling kits for something so involved sounds like a recipe for misery.
Some people call him Maurice...
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: "late style" 1.8t running backward! Flint European Auto. Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
A couple guys got them as DIY kits, but no more.

My mistake then -- I knew you'd done a few DIY kits, wasn't aware that you'd stopped.

After having built mine, I can't imagine doing all the work involved in putting together a kit package for others without having a full-time operation dedicated to backing it up along the lines of Bostig. And that fact has been in the back of my mind when a couple of people locally have asked if I could build one for them...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: