Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp - identification and storage advice
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: 36hp - identification and storage advice Reply with quote

Hi

I picked up a 36hp engine yesterday. My long-term plan is to rebuild it to install in my '56 single cab. The serial number says it was a beetle engine, but I haven't been able to find an affordable 36hp Type 2 engine over here, or a year-correct engine, so beggars can't be choosers.

I'd appreciate some clarification though, as I'm new to early style engines and this will be the first engine I've taken on as a non-running project:-

Firstly, I'd like to know what I've got.

The engine has two numbers on the pedestal...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

From the upper number, it looks like it's an August '54 beetle engine. Is that correct? If so, what is the lower number?
What is the significance of the asterisk between the one and the zero on the upper number?
There is a further number stamped on the right hand side of the pedestal (178413). Does that number have any significance?

I've removed the remains of the manifold and it's marked 08 02 on the jacket. Searching the site I've found reference on the site to that being a 25hp manifold. Is that correct? If so, could I have 25hp heads on a 36hp case?

I'd also like to do some initial diagnosis and prepare the engine for storage.

I can't feel any end float at all, but the engine doesn't turn over by hand. Would I be able to feel end float even with a stuck engine? To free it up, should I just try a little engine oil through the plug holes and let it sit for a while, or try diesel or something else?

I need to store the engine for a while until I have the funds to rebuild it. I don't have the time right now to break it down completely, so need to store it as a long block with the oil cooler off. It has been dry-stored, with oil in it, for many years, but it is covered in oil-soaked sawdust. I'd like to clean it off before storage to stop the gunk holding moisture. Should I bother?
I'd like to pressure-wash it to do a better visual inspection but there is no exhaust and the manifold is off, so what's the best way to clean it without letting water in to the barrels and case?

Thanks

Andy

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp - identification and storage advice Reply with quote

I wouldn't clean it if the plan is to store it. Better to shoot some oil in the spark plug holes, replace the plugs and leave it alone until you are ready to tear it down.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: