Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

School me on Thing cv's
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cousineddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: School me on Thing cv's Reply with quote

Hi, I recently got my first Thing, I've had several busses,bugs,etc.Not new to Vw's but new to Things. I've built a couple class 11 style bugs and never had cv issues,always add 1 outside spline to my bugs. I did the same to my Thing,along with with adding an inch to my trailing arms and it clicks like mad.I have brand new "thing" cv assemblies from empi and I assume they might be the issue. Are Thing spring plate retainers different then bug? Allow for more down travel? I was under the impression that with type 4 cv's that they could handle 1 spline and the extra inch of length. I don't want to add the extra mass of 930's and am curious if I could get away with the "off road prepped" type 2 cv's? My spring plates are close to riding on the bottom stop of the retainer and I haven't notched them for more travel. I've searched this out and it seems that there isn't a ton of info that is Thing specific.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cousineddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: School me on Thing cv's Reply with quote

Pic
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cousineddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: School me on Thing cv's Reply with quote

Nothing? A little suprised
Cal Dez Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: School me on Thing cv's Reply with quote

I lifted my '73 thing a little too high and bounced on the stops. Hated it. I eventually lowered it a little bit with a combination of inner and outer splines. I never had my CV's clicking but it was hard on boots. I used Type IV CV's with German boots. The boots never lasted more than 6-8 months. I never had to clearance the torsion arms but that's a good idea.
90runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: School me on Thing cv's Reply with quote

I love the stance on that Thing. Is that all suspension? I wish I could find those wheels in Canada. That is the goal for my Thing one day.
cousineddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on Thing cv's Reply with quote

90runner wrote:
I love the stance on that Thing. Is that all suspension? I wish I could find those wheels in Canada. That is the goal for my Thing one day.

Yes,adjusters in the front,1" longer arms and 1 outer spline in the rear.
90runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on Thing cv's Reply with quote

What size tires are you running?
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on Thing cv's Reply with quote

4 cv joints how many are clicking ? all 4 ? both outer? or just 1 ? all 4 ? angle of the dangle is way off.. both outer? cv joint not machined enough for the angle ? just 1 ? got a bad cv joint
cousineddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on Thing cv's Reply with quote

vwjetboat wrote:
4 cv joints how many are clicking ? all 4 ? both outer? or just 1 ? all 4 ? angle of the dangle is way off.. both outer? cv joint not machined enough for the angle ? just 1 ? got a bad cv joint

Outers only, my thought is the extra inch of trailing arm+the adjustment of the torsion is the issue,I'm more curious why I've never had this issue with my 11 style bugs that were adjusted in the same manner,with type 1 cv's I never had this problem. This is the first time I've added an inch to the arms though. I thought that the type 4 cvs would easily handle that little bit of change.
cousineddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on Thing cv's Reply with quote

90runner wrote:
What size tires are you running?

7.00x15 on 4.5" rims up front and 30x9.50 on 6.5" rims out back
cousineddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on Thing cv's Reply with quote

Well,I thought that I might as well follow up with my solution to clicking cv's. I didn't want to go with 930's with my pitiful 1600 dp and stock trans,so I went with the "off road prepped" type 2 cv's from Kartek. Super stoked! No more clicking! Now to move on to the next things on my Thing list!
Mountain man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: School me on Thing cv's Reply with quote

I have the same problem with just the drivers side clicking taking hard left turns. Changed the cv's twice thinking I got a bad one in the last set but still clicking. I also re-indexed the rear for a 3 inch lift and after reading your posts I'll try the Kartek setup. They are only a few miles from my house and usuall pretty helpful. BTW, I installed Tweeds 3 inch spindle lift in front and is a very clean install, except i need a longer speedo cable now. Also went with big front tires 225x15x6.5 and a little hard to turn but good tracking. Thanks for the info.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on Thing cv's Reply with quote

Nice paint job-what color is that?
Mountain man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on Thing cv's Reply with quote

2005 Toyota fj sunburst yellow. I like how it pops in the sun.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: