Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

113905205AH distributor
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markj60616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: 113905205AH distributor Reply with quote

I am refreshing a 113905205AH for my friend.

I noticed in the Bentley manual (Engine section page 54) that the vacuum advance on this distributor is 2-5 degrees. That is significantly lower than any other distributor on the page. Anyone know why? Just curious.

By the way, although my friend has a 1974, the 113905205AH is the correct distributor that goes with his 34 PICT-3 carb flange number. The engine is an unknown rebuilt 1600 dual port. No engine number. I should mention that the car is an autostick.
original engine

1978 Type 2 Panel Bus
original engine 2.0L FI

2014 Beetle 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71superAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 113905205AH distributor Reply with quote

markj60616 wrote:

I noticed in the Bentley manual (Engine section page 54) that the vacuum advance on this distributor is 2-5 degrees. That is significantly lower than any other distributor on the page. Anyone know why? Just curious.

By the way, although my friend has a 1974, the 113905205AH is the correct distributor that goes with his 34 PICT-3 carb flange number. The engine is an unknown rebuilt 1600 dual port. No engine number. I should mention that the car is an autostick.

The Autostick starter has a really healthy advance curve. The AH (I learned) was the stock AS distributor for a 71, I just got a rebuilt AH myself.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 113905205AH distributor Reply with quote

markj60616 wrote:
I noticed in the Bentley manual (Engine section page 54) that the vacuum advance on this distributor is 2-5 degrees. That is significantly lower than any other distributor on the page. Anyone know why? Just curious..

Look at both the vacuum and mechanical curves as well as how much vacuum or RPM it occurs at, some have more mechanical, others more vacuum, and they all happen at different speeds and loads depending on how heavy the car is and how it's geared. Something that's heavy and accelerates slow will usually have a stronger mechanical advance and minimal vacuum to avoid detonation in the middle of a long pull until the revs catch up, light quick cars can use the big shot of vacuum advance up front that the distributors curved towards them provide. (readers digest version, it's much more complicated than that).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 113905205AH distributor Reply with quote

markj60616 wrote:

If he decides he doesn't want it for any particular reason please keep me in mind!! I have been looking for an AH for a while for my 72 super autostick.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 113905205AH distributor Reply with quote

The 205AH is a bug autostick distributor and uses the same 1237121853 DVDA vacuum canister as the 211905205Q 1971 bus distributor. The 205Q was the last Bosch distributor installed in a type 1 engine for a bus in the USA. In 1972 buses went to type 4 engines.

Both distributors provide the same exact advance at the same RPMS. So, you can use either distributor in either application. I've run both a 205AH and a 205Q in my dual port bus. No difference was noticed. Both are excellent distributors after restoration and matched to the correct German Bosch 34-3 DVDA carb.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markj60616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: 113905205AH distributor Reply with quote

All of the 1970-1979 distributors on page 54 of the engine section of the orange Bentley manual have very similar centrifugal advances...the noticeably smaller vacuum advance of the AH still stands out to me and makes me wonder why.
original engine

1978 Type 2 Panel Bus
original engine 2.0L FI

2014 Beetle 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 113905205AH distributor Reply with quote

markj60616 wrote:
All of the 1970-1979 distributors on page 54 of the engine section of the orange Bentley manual have very similar centrifugal advances...the noticeably smaller vacuum advance of the AH still stands out to me and makes me wonder why.

Yes you are correct the AH distributor and it's Q counterpart used the 07092 canister with a 2-5° advance curve- lower than any other vacuum canister rating I've seen including other DVDA autostick distributors.
I tracked down a good working 113-905-205AM distributor for a very good price which was used on the 72 non-US model autosticks and is supposed to use the same 07092 canister but unfortunately the canister on it was shot, the seller said he coud put a good 07102 canister on it instead which is the next lowest advance curve I could find (5-8°) which I suppose would work but I would obviously rather have the correct one. Too bad there was no other canister ever made with a rating this low.
You can buy 07092 canisters lots of places (even rockauto has one) but since they are used on the type 2 buses with the Q distributor, for some reason they are extremely popular and everyone wants at least $90-$100 for one-- kind of defeats the pupose of finding a good deal on the distributor itself. Sad
markj60616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 113905205AH distributor Reply with quote

I have a working canister for the AH distributor for my friend...I was just wondering if anyone could explain why that particular distributor had such a low vacuum advance compared to the others.
original engine

1978 Type 2 Panel Bus
original engine 2.0L FI

2014 Beetle 2.5L
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 113905205AH distributor Reply with quote

Because it's meant for a sluggish car.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
markj60616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 113905205AH distributor Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Because it's meant for a sluggish car.

Thanks Busdaddy...this makes sense to me as does your earlier reply. What I'm still curious about is comparing my 1970 autostick distributor (AD) to my friend's AH distributor. Both are, to use your term, "sluggish" autosticks and have similar centrifugal ranges but very different vacuum advance ranges. What made VW change this from 1970 to 1971ish is my curiosity.

Compare:

1970 single port 1600 autostick distributor 113905205AD
centrifugal up to 28 degrees
vacuum advance up to 12 degrees

1971-1973 dual port 1600 autostick distributor 113905205AH
centrifugal up to 25 degrees
vacuum advance up to 5 degrees
original engine

1978 Type 2 Panel Bus
original engine 2.0L FI

2014 Beetle 2.5L
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 113905205AH distributor Reply with quote

markj60616 wrote:
What made VW change this from 1970 to 1971ish is my curiosity.

Different carb, different manifold and ports, different torque curves and changing smog laws. Gotta keep that exhaust hot to reduce emissions.

Слава Україні!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 113905205AH distributor Reply with quote

So they actually had a reason to change the distributors every year?

That would make me assume one would need to match a distributor with the exact specifications of the engine built for that year. Is that simple to do?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 113905205AH distributor Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:

That would make me assume one would need to match a distributor with the exact specifications of the engine built for that year. Is that simple to do?

The distributor # has to match up with the carb base# at the very least, compression ratios and transmission gearing also play a part if you really want it to work perfectly.

Every car rolled off the boat with a precise combination of parts suited to that particular setup, jetting, vaccum porting, compression, advance curves, exhaust and gear ratios, the differences are subtle but you do notice it when you match all the things up as intended. Until you've driven a VW with all the correct parts functioning as intended you'll never know how nicely they really can work.

Слава Україні!
markj60616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: 113905205AH distributor Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
kawfee wrote:

The distributor # has to match up with the carb base# at the very least, compression ratios and transmission gearing also play a part if you really want it to work perfectly.

Every car rolled off the boat with a precise combination of parts suited to that particular setup, jetting, vaccum porting, compression, advance curves, exhaust and gear ratios, the differences are subtle but you do notice it when you match all the things up as intended. Until you've driven a VW with all the correct parts functioning as intended you'll never know how nicely they really can work.

Yes! I know! My recent thread about my 1970:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679355
original engine

1978 Type 2 Panel Bus
original engine 2.0L FI

2014 Beetle 2.5L
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 113905205AH distributor Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
kawfee wrote:

Busdaddy, I am down with that. I switched from a 009 to a made for my car distributor. It's really nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markj60616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 113905205AH distributor Reply with quote

Here is my friend's 1974 with the AH distributor installed and dialed in!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

original engine

1978 Type 2 Panel Bus
original engine 2.0L FI

2014 Beetle 2.5L
71superAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 113905205AH distributor Reply with quote

markj60616 wrote:
Here is my friend's 1974 with the AH distributor installed and dialed in!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On the vac can, where does the front tube connect to? I see the rear goes to the carb.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 113905205AH distributor Reply with quote

The front hose connects to the shepherds hook hard line the green and black hoses are looped through (behind the coil in that pic), it goes into the left side of the carb above the volume screw.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: