Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanistan louvered window screen inserts
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Vanistan louvered window screen inserts Reply with quote

Some folks have already seen prototypes of my louvered window screen inserts at BBtB and Syncro Solstice. I've been productionising for weeks, it's been a complicated project. But I'm pleased with the results, they're pretty nice, I hope you agree. If you like to go up in the mountains to camp in the rain and escape the heat like we do, these will be sweet. They're available now, more details and pricing on my site:

http://www.vanistan.com/louvered_window_screen_inserts.html

Please do not PM me here, email at [email protected] for inquiries, thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for looking!

<edit: my original pics got blocked by Photobucket's sudden turn to extortion; new pics are hosted here on The Samba>

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.

Last edited by tencentlife on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:09 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan louvered window screen inserts Reply with quote

Very nice work! The T4 guys could use this feature, as well.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan louvered window screen inserts Reply with quote

Those look excellent! Very well done.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan louvered window screen inserts Reply with quote

Pimp result man! Looks dope! I was going to install Bay Window Jalousies, but these might be much easier Smile
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan louvered window screen inserts Reply with quote

Wow, very nicely engineered! (As usual...)
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan louvered window screen inserts Reply with quote

Those look fantastic. Thanks so much for developing those. Top of the list now.
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan louvered window screen inserts Reply with quote

I bought some hand made screens from Canada, but every time I open and close the slider, the screens would shift out of the slots and I'd have to slide the screens and the window forward again.

I think with your design this would not be a problem? Sounds like they fit into place with the window locked in position, so the window and the louver frame can't move around?

I see the wing nuts there and assume those clamp the louver frame in place to the sliding window.

I may have to buy these!
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan louvered window screen inserts Reply with quote

Will it fit the RMW rear slider?

http://www.rockymountainwesty.com/253847766_p/253847766.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan louvered window screen inserts Reply with quote

Nice armored car look. just need a gun port installed under it.
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan louvered window screen inserts Reply with quote

Nice design, would go well with the "black out" look I'm going for Smile

Do they seal well enough to prevent wind and water intrusion or must they be removed while driving?
Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift
Custom Bumpers with receivers
Coast Mountain Hightop - Comming Soon

1985 2wd Vanagon Pre-runner in the making
soon to be powered by 2.5L Subaru
Custom Lift
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peterT3syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Vanistan louvered window screen inserts Reply with quote

Love them mate Cool
They are on my Xmas list now - nice one Laughing
Peter

Type 3 Syncro Kombi, EJ22 Subaru
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Vanistan louvered window screen inserts Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Pimp result man! Looks dope! I was going to install Bay Window Jalousies, but these might be much easier Smile

These can be installed or taken out in about 30 seconds each, no tools needed, so yes, quite a bit easier!

It's hard to find a place to put a large square panel, so they fold in half for stowing, and the folding allows them to expand into the window tracks top and bottom. The long tintop version is about 17 x 8 x 1.5" when folded up, the Westy window version is about 12 x 8 x 1.5".

Quote:
Nice design, would go well with the "black out" look I'm going for Smile
Do they seal well enough to prevent wind and water intrusion or must they be removed while driving?

Yeah that's kinda the look I was going for (all my shots are close-up, I'll have to get you a wider shot of the van). I thought they would look boss with the black bumpers and racks and stuff everyone has. The finish I'm doing is called "oil-rubbed bronze", it's like a fine metal flake graphite with a hint of brown, nice neutral color from a distance but looks really cool close-up. It's a good base for other paint if you want to change the color, opening the louvers you can easily respray the whole exterior.

No need to take them out to drive at all, my idea was that you could install them in the spring and leave them in 'til fall. I've driven in a good rain too and no water got in with the louvers opened pretty wide (they open up to about 60º). If it's raining real heavy or blowing sideways you can always just close them enough to keep it out.

Quote:
I bought some hand made screens from Canada, but every time I open and close the slider, the screens would shift out of the slots and I'd have to slide the screens and the window forward again.
I think with your design this would not be a problem? Sounds like they fit into place with the window locked in position, so the window and the louver frame can't move around?
I see the wing nuts there and assume those clamp the louver frame in place to the sliding window.

All exactly right. The 4 wingnuts hold slotted steel strips. To install, you open the sliding glass all the way back, unfold the insert into the upper and lower tracks, slide it forward 1/4" into the forward groove, then move the glass forward a 'til it locks into its rearmost locking position. That brings the glass to almost butt against the rear edge of the insert. Then on the inside you loosen the wingnuts a bit, slide the two slotted strips back (they move about 1/2"), and tighten the wingnuts. The insert is then tightly gripping the front edge of the glass. The whole thing is solidly locked in, gripped on all four sides so the panel is quite rigid, it's like it's part of the bodywork.

They're secure enough to resist idle tampering. I wanted to be able to safely leave our dogs in the van with ventilation, or leave it in a parking lot for awhile to shop or whatever. If you felt the need to close the van up tighter, as I said they can be taken out quickly with your bare hands. Someone who really wants into your car is getting in your car no matter what you do, so if they wanted to mangle these they could get in, but if some malingerer was casually looking for an easy way to get in these present a pretty fair deterrent.

All screens make a hissing sound when driving, you can get used to it but if you don't like the noise, the inside screen panels can be removed in seconds, also without any tools. Without the screens, the inserts don't make any more noise than just driving with the window open. You can pop the screens back in at camp if you need to keep bugs out. Since there's two half-size screen panels rather than a single large panel, they're also easy to stow when you're not using them. They're made from common hardware store screening materials, so it's easy to repair or even make new ones yourself if they get torn, mangled, or lost.

Quote:

The shorter Westy window version will fit that slider, according to Mike, but I want to physically confirm that. I may go up to RMW this month, or if not I'll get a copy into Mike's hands so he can try the fit. I really want those rear sliders myself!

Quote:
Nice armored car look. just need a gun port installed under it.

Damn I wish I'd thought of that!

Thanks for everyone's kind words and comments! and happy 4th of July!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan louvered window screen inserts Reply with quote

I couldn't wait. Had to order a set!

I like where the lever to open/close the louvers is positioned...you can just reach back from the front seat to move them.

Last edited by Aryana on Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan louvered window screen inserts Reply with quote

tjet wrote:

Will the Sliding Door open without hitting the louvers?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan louvered window screen inserts Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
tjet wrote:

I took some measurements of my RMW right rear slider.

With the side door open, there's a little over 2-3/4" clearance. Note, I have a bus jalousie window on the door, and the frame is wider than the OEM window.

With the RMW window all the way open, it's aprox 11-1/8"

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan louvered window screen inserts Reply with quote

tjet wrote:

I took some measurements of my RMW right rear slider.

How do you like the RMW rear slider? Is it a good fit without problems?
Thanks.

tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan louvered window screen inserts Reply with quote

the RMW rear sliders fit perfectly and look factory. I think they are German made
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan louvered window screen inserts Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
the RMW rear sliders fit perfectly and look factory. I think they are German made

Thanks for the confirmation! The wallet is whispering again!

tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan louvered window screen inserts Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

Yes, there would be plenty of clearance, the louvers when full open only stick out about 1.5".

tjet wrote:

Well if they only open 11.25" max, the Westy version needs 12.25" opening, so it isn't gonna fit. Thanks for the measurement.

I'm not gonna make three versions, especially since there will never be very many of those rear sliders installed. My first run for Westy's won't work. I could change the next run to be short enough to fit the rear sliders, they would fit Westy's too but would need some adaptation to have the same security. If my first run sells well I'll get into another run within a few months, so I'll take a look at that than.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan louvered window screen inserts Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
Well if they only open 11.25" max, the Westy version needs 12.25" opening, so it isn't gonna fit. Thanks for the measurement.

I'm not gonna make three versions, especially since there will never be very many of those rear sliders installed. My first run for Westy's won't work. I could change the next run to be short enough to fit the rear sliders, they would fit Westy's too but would need some adaptation to have the same security. If my first run sells well I'll get into another run within a few months, so I'll take a look at that than.

Okay...Well since I just ordered the RMW Rear slider lst night put me down for a Passenger side when you get around to it. Don't blame ya for not having it or making 3 versions-we're lucky we get what we get from you!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: