Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Built a 2" receiver trailer hitch
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Built a 2" receiver trailer hitch Reply with quote

Looks great. Nice job triangulating.

Here's mine... Uber stout.

Triangulation not needed.

1/2" plates to the third mounting hole

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Built a 2" receiver trailer hitch Reply with quote

Neil thats a stout bumper. 3-holer too!

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I intend to make the braces a bolt-on thing, so I can remove them should I need to service a muffler or access the timing belt from below.

My entire hitch comes off with 4 bolts, real easy. But if hidden behind the bumper would be more difficult I suppose.

Be sure to use a double bolt joint at top so it transmits all the tongue weight torque into forward forces at the bottom. Like my welded connection. Can use a single bolt at the bottom. Kinda wish I was starting on it today I'd hide it behind the bumper.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
UngaWunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Built a 2" receiver trailer hitch Reply with quote

Bump an old thread. Made my own this weekend.

Used the stock bumper mounts, cut a flat vertical surface on them, welded a plate to it, and then the crossbars to that plate. Not going to tow with it, just using it for a bike carrier. If I was going to tow with it, I'd brace things a little more.

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Built a 2" receiver trailer hitch Reply with quote

Cool! I have one 3/4 built that I will enter here. Ties into bumper mounts and then the mustache bar. Heavy 2" bike rack, and possibly short tows in store.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
UngaWunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Built a 2" receiver trailer hitch Reply with quote

Yeah, it was fun to make. Been a while since I welded something up. My first few welds were a little boogery, but ran them over again to clean up.

peterT3syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Built a 2" receiver trailer hitch Reply with quote

You guys in the States . . . . ? Confused

You do realize - the VW has a ball wieght limit of 100KG - at least it does here in Australia.
Not only that - any tow bar made here in Oz must be made by a certified tow bar manufacturer and each bar comes with a makers stamp and cert plate affixed to each bar.
Any welds that some novic makes on a bar could: could end up causing some accident ?
Confused
Peter

Type 3 Syncro Kombi, EJ22 Subaru
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Built a 2" receiver trailer hitch Reply with quote

Fear not , our friend.

We have the same standards from aftermarket vendors. There is a 100% fail safe test that must be built into any hitch that is from an aftermarket vendor.
Themz da rulz.

So. If an individual wants to design and build a tow hitch, it is up to them to design for required needs.

Legality? Gray area. Moot point. Comme Ci. Comme Ca
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Built a 2" receiver trailer hitch Reply with quote

Since we're all,sharing. The carat fiberglass bumper fits over these.

I box the OEM things and the plated them. They are a bit thick and fit snugly into the frame rails and utilize three bolts.

Maybe a little over kill but wanted to make sure my weld wouldn't be the failure point during the certification.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Built a 2" receiver trailer hitch Reply with quote

How would you GET a certification? If theres a certification they ask for the drawings and the welder's stamp, right? I've never heard of anyone's towhitch getting questioned for certs. And I hope mine doesn't. I tried to make mine look like a "commercial unit".

That could happen here someday -when USA welders get as bad as OZzie welders then they'll hafta clamp down on it... Don't feel bad OZ that day is coming!! Wink Wink

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
peterT3syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Built a 2" receiver trailer hitch Reply with quote

The bar here in Oz is obviously submitted (original ) for approval and then the bar carries a manufacturer's plate with details including ball weight limits, date, etc.
Its done so that Joe public don't go making bars out of 12mm square section and towing 4 tonne .. .. ?
P

Type 3 Syncro Kombi, EJ22 Subaru
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Built a 2" receiver trailer hitch Reply with quote

I'll almost guarantee that we have more strict regulations for passenger vehicle tow hitches than any other country. The USA is far and away the most litigious country on the planet and automotive safety has been a liability gold mine for the legal profession forever.

Like Oz, there are crash regulations for tow hitches that ensure the thicker plates don't cut into fuel tanks, fuel lines, or cause electrical shorts when a car is crushed from an impact.

Attention to safety is wise, and pays dividends!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Built a 2" receiver trailer hitch Reply with quote

My hitch is exclusively for a bike rack, adding color to my shins and skewering parking transgressors...not necessarily in that order. Our T4 is much better equipped to tow the big stuff

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Built a 2" receiver trailer hitch Reply with quote

Whats "big"? 2 dirtbikes on a 400 lb trailer is only 1,000 lbs. Pretty easy to keep tongue weight below 100 lbs. I'd go easy with that weight though, on a Vanagon. Shocked seldom.....

IdahoDoug wrote:
I'll almost guarantee that we have more strict regulations for passenger vehicle tow hitches than any other country.
........ ........
The USA is far and away the most litigious country on the planet and automotive safety has been a liability gold mine for the legal profession forever.

That said,,,,, I've never heard of anyone's non-certified trailer hitch getting cited (in the USA).

The American way is for the Trailer hitch manufacturers association to gather up a wheelbarrow of cash, send a lobbyist to congress, to lobby for federal legislation that withholds federal funds from every state NOT checking tow hitch certification. States with a "large hitch Mfr" get on board, then "big insurance" has access to an inspection venue and jumps onboard too.

The American Association of Trailer Hitch Mfrs would produce a windfall for their industry members, and Americans don't really mind paying slightly increased hitch costs for perceived safety. Even if its only a tiny percentage of risk. But then in a few short years, hitch prices DOUBLE and the Americans grumble a little but all is forgotten, because they can afford it.

We don't notice legislation coming from the industries who will charge us more for their services (once they get it written into law). In the USA most people think that if a mfrs association wants something of our congress, it's probably cuz its good for the country. And fun for our senators to be wined/dined and whats a little cash between friends? Anyway, trailer hitch legislation is certainly already written up, and lobbyists are hitting congress hard already. Its just a matter of time.

Add a few substandard hitches (in the news) causing deaths, and this will sail thru.

Probably the same in Oz. Sorry.

UngaWunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Built a 2" receiver trailer hitch Reply with quote

You guys crack me up... worry worry worry.... Its like the Violent Femmes song... Smile

If my hitch fails, my bikes fall off my van. Maybe at speed. My bikes get ruined. I worry about that more than anything. So I built it strong enough so that won't happen. End of story.

I'm happy I don't have to go through certification to get a bumper made. Its not like these things are certified aircraft... those things are a nightmare.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Built a 2" receiver trailer hitch Reply with quote

just offering my $.02 here,
that I don't like tying my rear bumper into my engine carrier/mounts..
too easy for a simple soft tap, to be a major engine/transmission replacement.

I like BIG BUMPERS AND I WILL NOT LIE.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UngaWunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Built a 2" receiver trailer hitch Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
just offering my $.02 here,
that I don't like tying my rear bumper into my engine carrier/mounts..
too easy for a simple soft tap, to be a major engine/transmission replacement.

I like BIG BUMPERS AND I WILL NOT LIE.

Agreed.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Built a 2" receiver trailer hitch Reply with quote

Unga - Im not worried about hitch compliance - just pointing out this is regulated for public safety. I was done posting until you mentioned your feelings about merely losing your bikes to failure. I wont over interpret your meaning but the comment reveals why SOME safety regs are important. To the rest of the motorists you share the public roadway with, they couldnt give two hoots about your bikes. They care about 100lbs of steel, aluminum and carbon fiber cartwheeling into their lane at a closing rate of over 120mph and killing them. Its that "gap" between self interest and public safety the regs are meant to address.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Built a 2" receiver trailer hitch Reply with quote

UngaWunga wrote:
So I built it strong enough so that won't happen. End of story.

Well if even one bike wheel fell off in heavy traffic and caused a death - the end of the story is a long way off, and not in your favor.

I think they story should always be "overbuilt, and no problems". Because you should "worry" (in the right way) up front. Worry is an important part of roadworthy design.

But "legislation happens" so this won't be allowed forever. I'm more than a little surprised it hasn't happened "yet". I'm thankful for the delay, cuz I've got a few good DIY projects on my list.

Last edited by Sodo on Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Built a 2" receiver trailer hitch Reply with quote

because not everyone has the same level of "Yeah that'll do"

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UngaWunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Built a 2" receiver trailer hitch Reply with quote

rmcd, nice design. I like that. Looks good and strong.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: