Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blew AC Hose While Stopped
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Blew AC Hose While Stopped Reply with quote

Drove up from Terrebonne, OR to The Dalles and was having lunch at a city park. Boom!. Really loud sound from LR of van. Oh shit moment as I thought; propane, coolant, tire...
It was the high pressure AC line retiring after 29 years and spewing R134 and fluorescent dye allover the engine compartment.

Phew.
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Blew AC Hose While Stopped Reply with quote

Perhaps a failed pressure switch?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Blew AC Hose While Stopped Reply with quote

One of the few failures that is fixed by rolling a joint and opening a window....your shoulder, opening the window...what did you think I meant?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Blew AC Hose While Stopped Reply with quote

I've removed 30 year okd A/C hises and looked at them. While they are indeed showing cracks I would never expect one to blow!

Yet another argument for modernizing your entire A/C with new hoses and such.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Blew AC Hose While Stopped Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Yet another argument for modernizing your entire A/C with new hoses and such.

Dave

wolfram wrote:
spewing R134 and fluorescent dye

Especially if you are going to convert to the higher system pressure R134 requires.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Blew AC Hose While Stopped Reply with quote

Note the AC wasn't even operating when it blew.
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Blew AC Hose While Stopped Reply with quote

You were lucky it didn't blow the hose on the interior of your vanagon. What a mess that would be. I had a similar incident. I converted to 134a and had my van idling in the driveway to see how good the AC was with the new 134a. I was about 15 feet from the van and all of a sudden there was a huge boom. Sounded like a gun shot. Scared the crap out of me. The hose above my new propane tank blew. Then a cloud of the gas enveloped the the van. I thought it was on fire. I ran over and shut it off. Made a mess all over the tank. I have now replaced my entire AC system except for the Evaporator inside. I mean everything with new barrier hoses, fittings, 709 Sanden compressor, dryer, parallel flow condenser and blower fan. The old hoses and higher pressure of the 134a did it.
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Blew AC Hose While Stopped Reply with quote

Wolfram wrote:
Note the AC wasn't even operating when it blew.

Generally AC pressure will stabilize across the system unless there is a major restriction and static pressure will vary with external temperature. A properly charged R134 system will show 70 psi on both high and low side at 70°F at stasis. If the hose blew under static pressure it is a wonder it did not explode under system pressure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: