Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 S with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Rome, thanks for the radio information.
Bobnotch, AA makes a conversion flywheel with the pilot bearing in it. Clearancing for the larger flywheel is not a problem. The hardest part with the hanger seems to be what to attach to on the early cars. The shroud does look like a bit of work.
Thanks to all for the great info.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 S with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

the ISP West Tach is very nice, no one makes a clock conversion decal

look up supaninja here and on shop talk forums. He did Type 4 and megasquirt in his early notch. I've ridden in it, and it's nice

for the radio, the hard thing to find is the soft surround. I had to buy a whole parts radio just because it had the surround I needed

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

for your interior, it's hard to beat stock for 63 and earlier cars

Here's what a correct 63 looks like

djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 S with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

That's a good looking interior.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 S with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

If you dig through my thread, I welded a set of late rear mount brackets on.

With a more valuable early car like yours, it might be better to stick to bolt-on mods.

You can pick up the bar from the bumper mounts...

What’s That Noise?!?
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 S with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
If you dig through my thread, I welded a set of late rear mount brackets on.

With a more valuable early car like yours, it might be better to stick to bolt-on mods.

Thats a good idea. Anything I do I try not to alter the car much other than bolt on and bolt off. Thanks Very Happy
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 S with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

That's what Dan Zink did on his 65 Notch with T-4 power. I think he's got some pics of it on his home page, but sorry I don't have a link for it (I'm on the wrong computer).

OP, I was just pointing out some of things you need to be aware of. My son is using a 210mm flywheel on his car with a former 914 1.7L in it. We swapped the car over to IRS this spring (was in the plans for this winter though), as we really didn't want to try and buy a swing axle clutch for a 210mm flywheel for 1 summer of use. Now if he had used a 200mm conversion flywheel, it would have been different, as he already had a pressure plate for the SA trans. The conversion to IRS only set us back 3 days, but in the end, it's done so we won't have to mess with it in the winter.

As for adding rear mounts to a swing axle bodied car, I'd only do it IF I were doing an IRS conversion. It's a lot more work to do on a Notch than say a Fastback or a Square, since the air box is on the inside, versus the out side of a Fastback/Square. I know, as I converted my 65 Notch using later style engine hanger mounts. You have to cut part/most of the bottom of the duct out, and raise it to gain clearance to install the hanger brackets, then flip the brackets upside down, and side for side to get them to fit.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
I would like to put a sun roof back in the car. How specific year wise do I need to be when looking for the entire sunroof assembly? I have seen entire later square backs for a decent price but they are later on and I really don't have the room to cut one up so I am hoping to find a donor roof section. Judging by the parts I now have I am not thinking a stock restoration but instead a nice highway cruiser. Any help with positive suggestions and what can be done would be greatly appreciated.

djway3474 wrote:
Is there a post of the ISP install of a sunroof?

ISPwest put a sunroof in my car. They peeled the whole roof off at the drip rails. A lot of work but the end result is indistinguishable from a factory job.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7003741

ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Hey Man, post some pics of your car! JK, but let us see this so called '63. Whenever an early one pop up everyone chimes in with info, and most times it get sold before anything happens.

Martin
allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

You will have two choices for radios if you want that OG early look. Blaupunkt and other - Motorola, Sapphire and the like. VW mad a good generic bracket for the Sapphire but what was touched on was the Blaupunkt system. There is a lot to it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8032902#8032902

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
You will have two choices for radios if you want that OG early look. Blaupunkt and other - Motorola, Sapphire and the like. VW mad a good generic bracket for the Sapphire but what was touched on was the Blaupunkt system. There is a lot to it.

I have a 3 button Blaupunkt with a T3 faceplate in my Ghia. I have a Sapphire with coffin buttons but no faceplate and no soft cover I did not use because it was not period correct. So now I only need the more difficult parts.
What is the soft cover made from?
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Here she is sitting on the bed frame I found her on. appears to be a later front beam to me.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
notchboy wrote:

I have a 3 button Blaupunkt with a T3 faceplate in my Ghia. I have a Sapphire with coffin buttons but no faceplate and no soft cover I did not use because it was not period correct. So now I only need the more difficult parts.
What is the soft cover made from?

Pebble grain like the dash and foam.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

And here is the even harder to find surround.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8000774#8000774

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Well, there were 4 parts for my low light Ghia that no one made so I made them and sold the extras. Sounds like it might be time to do that again.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Well, there were 4 parts for my low light Ghia that no one made so I made them and sold the extras. Sounds like it might be time to do that again.

Do you need a dash? Thats a part that is in serious need.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Quote:

I need to know more about the soft radio cover. Is there any metal embedded in the material? If there is metal I would need an example of the raw metal and a nice example of the cover.
I have a new repop dash, are they still available?
I know people that have made air cooled dash parts and always have interest in taking on new projects.
If there is sufficient demand I will look into these projects
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

You could probably make your own radio surround bracket using a large piece of aluminum, like 1/16" thick. It would be a simple type with a flat bottom, flat and straight-back sides. Make a pattern using a paper grocery bag or wrapping paper. Lay your radio on the paper to determine the minimum width and length. The face's top would conform to the bottom curved surface of the dash. The face would have a 1/2" or 3/4" wide flange on the top and sides. Bend and shape the flanges in your workbench vise. The top flange would have 2 holes drilled to attach under the dash bottom flange. The side flanges would be so that when you bend up the bracket sides (form the gentle curve along the bottom outer corners using a wooden dowel) you can rivet them together with two evenly spaced 1/8" rivets. For the front (towards front of car) of the bracket, you'll need to figure out how to hang it below the dash. Then make cutouts in the face for your radio knobs and the central pushbutton/frequency box.

When you have it all assembled, paint it with black wrinkle-finish paint. I'm nearly certain that the metal one I found in the mid '80's in a junked, heavily rusted 5-bolt wheeled two-toned Notch had either a black wrinkle finish, or a heavy pebble surface in flat black. You could also wrap the bracket with black pebble-grain vinyl glued on with contact cement which would help hide the rivets.

From that car I also removed a genuine Bambus under-dash shelf. Junkyard was located just outside New Milford, CT. I didn't even have a Type 3 at the time, but knew those were rare parts so I removed and kept them. I remember the car being safari beige with a black roof.

Would probably take you a full afternoon or two. You'd have to assess if your fabrication time can justify/balance the cost (and availability) of finding a used bracket.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
Quote:

I need to know more about the soft radio cover. Is there any metal embedded in the material? If there is metal I would need an example of the raw metal and a nice example of the cover.
I have a new repop dash, are they still available?
I know people that have made air cooled dash parts and always have interest in taking on new projects.
If there is sufficient demand I will look into these projects

The cover is molded foam rubber with a pebble grain cover like the dash and the wrap around sections have. Its all the same texture to match. There is no metal in it, just one molded foam piece.

Id have to see a pic of the dash you have as there are old repops and new ones floating around now. One has a meh ok finish to it the other does not replicate the finish at all.

And yes you are correct in needing a good original to truly replicate. That sir is the key. Find one or the person willing to front it. Wink Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

He's going custom. No need for a correct dash right? Do good enough and leave the dashes for people wanting correct cars?

Just saying... muuhwaahwaaa and all that. If you are custom this, custom that, no need to spend $1k plus on a dash
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
Here she is sitting on the bed frame I found her on. appears to be a later front beam to me.

From the pic, it's hard to tell if the beam was swapped, or if just the spindles and rotors were swapped. The rear brake backing plates did come from a later 4 lug car though, as you can see the adjuster holes (66 on).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 16

Jump to: