Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia Syncro expedition or Westfalia 2WD highway cruiser?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Westfalia Syncro expedition vs. Westfalia 2WD highway cruiser
Westfalia syncro expedition with raised suspension
54%
 54%  [ 30 ]
Westfalia 2WD highway cruiser
45%
 45%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 55

pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Westfalia Syncro expedition or Westfalia 2WD highway cruiser? Reply with quote

Which one do you use?
Which one would you buy?
What is you usage at the moment?
What kind of trips do you do?

Here is a beautiful Westfalia syncro example:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And some other syncros in action:

Here is a beautiful Westfalia lowered 2WD example:

You use it for sports?

1989 vanagon Karmann Gipsy #652, TDI AFN
1991 vanagon westfalia conversion TDI ALH Silverfox
ex-1989 vanagon syncro passenger Syncrofox (Sold)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598791&highlight=
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493964&highlight=speed+aap+trans
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496589&highlight=carrier+bars
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506025

Last edited by pedrokrusher on Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:13 am; edited 13 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia syncro expedition VS Westfalia lowered 2WD highway c Reply with quote

Both!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia syncro expedition VS Westfalia lowered 2WD highway c Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Both!

YESSSS!!!
Me too!!!

I want to keep my 2WD westy the way it is for sports. My primary sport is BMX freestyle. I am a "retired" rider that loves riding skateparks. Mostly mini-ramp. And now I started windsurfing... It just hurts less...

And I would love to syncronise my Karmann Gispy to go for a rtw expedition type of trip with the wife...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493964&highlight=speed+aap+trans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia syncro expedition VS Westfalia lowered 2WD highway c Reply with quote

the best vanagon is the one that you actually use on a regular basis.

took my 2wd out to monument valley and was happy enough pushing it thru valley of the gods 'road'

they'll get you there.
and if you get stuck. you're already set up for camp Wink

but one for each would be nice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia syncro expedition VS Westfalia lowered 2WD highway c Reply with quote

Westfalias are for camping. I would never lower one.
A tin top on the other hand...sweet! Cool

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia syncro expedition VS Westfalia lowered 2WD highway c Reply with quote

I raised my factory lowered Westfalia tintop and will probably raise my Westfalia poptop as well. AWD is a nice to have feature, but mostly unnecessary where I live. If I ever go Syncro, I'll convert the T4. Lowered cars are cool looking (I've done a bunch), but daily driving them is a hassle

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia syncro expedition VS Westfalia lowered 2WD highway c Reply with quote

Which one do you use? A: Both, but not exactly as you've set up your poll though. A tintop Syncro (daily driver) and a 2wd full westy. Neither raised or lowered.

Which one would did you buy? A: Both, and I bought a project tintop Syncro with a donor westy to become the expedition westy we all dream about. Not sure what van will get sold in the future.

What is you usage at the moment? A: 99% usage, the Forester is always the last choice. The rear facing car seat doesn't leave much room for the front passenger.

What kind of trips do you do? A: Weekend warrior and family camping. I love to take the 2wd westy to ski resorts as a base camp (espar heater) as the lodges are a Sh_t Show here in Colorado.

I'm not going to vote as it is obvious I couldn't make that decision in real life.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia syncro expedition VS Westfalia lowered 2WD highway c Reply with quote

If you want to actually use your westy for camping lowering it will impact your usage unless you enjoy camping at KOA type places that are paved.
Long miles on lowered cars gets old pretty fast, I have had several in the past.
pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia syncro expedition VS Westfalia lowered 2WD highway c Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses guys!

Just don't focus on the word" lowered" too much. But rather on the regular westy 2WD for mainly highway usage... You know, to get you to spots to practice sports like surfing, kayaking, biking, hiking... Or whatever!
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia syncro expedition VS Westfalia lowered 2WD highway c Reply with quote

Well, if you aren't doing a bunch of offloading a stock height 2wd will do the job just fine.
I would even chose a hardtop over a west any day of the week. Shocked
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro vs. 2WD Westy Reply with quote

pedrokrusher wrote:
Just don't focus on the word" lowered" too much. But rather on the regular westy 2WD for mainly highway usage...

Then, if you don't mind, I've removed "lowered" from the title/poll. I figured I was excluded from answering based solely on that qualifier, then I scrolled down and saw mostly normal-height Westies pictured and was a tad confused.

My 2WD Westy isn't lowered, nor do I want it lowered. It gets me to nice camp spots, whether on pavement or dirt, and to waterways to play in and that's all I need/want in a travel/camping rig. Cool

^It went through mud and a rock garden to get there. Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro vs. 2WD Westy Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
pedrokrusher wrote:
Just don't focus on the word" lowered" too much. But rather on the regular westy 2WD for mainly highway usage...

Then, if you don't mind, I've removed "lowered" from the title/poll. I figured I was excluded from answering based solely on that qualifier, then I scrolled down and saw mostly normal-height Westies pictured and was a tad confused.

Thank you Kamzcab86!!!
Much better!
You're the best!!!

Yeah... Its just me that has a fixation with "lowered" and threw everyone off course with this poll.
I really meant highway cruiser more.
I just know that a low carat suspension is so good for highway cruising to get to nice destinations.

This way much more people will chip in, thanks again.
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Syncro expedition or Westfalia 2WD highway cruiser? Reply with quote

Ah- now I get it. I love my Westy, but I would love to have a tintop again someday. One money pit is enough for the time being, though...
Some people call him Maurice...
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Syncro expedition or Westfalia 2WD highway cruiser? Reply with quote

For me, I don't need the overhead of a Syncro. I am mainly accessible roads, paved, but if I were to venture off the beaten trail, I'd survive with a winch and a 2WD Westy I'm pretty sure. Would add a LSD to the tranny as well before going Syncro.
pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Syncro expedition or Westfalia 2WD highway cruiser? Reply with quote

Wow! Its a tie! 6 vs 6 right now.

I really was wondering if the syncro owners would respond in full force, as there is so many syncro threads of every kind (and I love them!)

I was also wondering if the vast majority of 2WD owners would speak up and take over... You guys are pretty quiet...
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Syncro expedition or Westfalia 2WD highway cruiser? Reply with quote

Which one do you use?
2WD, MT, Bostig, Westy camper.

Which one would you buy?
I'm guessing this is the last Vanagon I buy. I'm getting it dialed and it's running well at 275K miles. When it's time to replace it I'll look at Sprinters or Transits for a bit more room for storage and a head, airbags and reliability from the new millennium.

What is you usage at the moment?
105 out of the last 154 nights it's been driven over 11K in road trip miles (3,800 in Feb/Mar, about 8,000 May-Jul). It's a road trip rig, weekend camper and daily driver as needed.

What kind of trips do you do?
Weekend camping and extended road-trips. Imagine taking two-lane roads across several states with drives down forest service roads to dispersed campsites. That's an ideal road-trip for us.

Overall, it's built for travel on two-lane highways, secondary and tertiary roads. Tires and suspension are selected with quiet and comfort as primary criteria. The van travels plenty of dirt roads but I don't look for water crossings or deep ruts to navigate. I use a motorcycle for that kind of travel (BDRs, etc.)

Full-moon rising last month at 10,500 feet near Spanish Peaks Wilderness

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Syncro expedition or Westfalia 2WD highway cruiser? Reply with quote

metropoj wrote:
For me, I don't need the overhead of a Syncro. I am mainly accessible roads, paved, but if I were to venture off the beaten trail, I'd survive with a winch and a 2WD Westy I'm pretty sure. Would add a LSD to the tranny as well before going Syncro.

Yeah, likewise. Our slightly-lifted 2WD (van cafe springs and 16" wheels with Rotiivas) has yet to get us stuck (well, there was that one time in Pismo Beach, but even a Syncro wouldn't have helped much there...). Plenty of ground clearance for everywhere we've tried to get to in BC, and we bomb around the forest service roads and remote campsites a fair bit.

Would I like a Syncro, if cost and upkeep were no option? Sure! But until then, I'm happy with the 2WD — and I'm going to get them to throw a Peloquin into the transmission when the thing finally gives up the ghost and needs a rebuild.
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Syncro expedition or Westfalia 2WD highway cruiser? Reply with quote

There are advantages to both rigs. I'm currently enjoying a Salvage rig I purchased to convert a TinTop Syncro into a camper. This 2WD floats down the road as opposed to a Syncro that runs down the road. The 2WD has kept me out of a few spots because I knew I would get stuck. I also have gotten stuck in the snow when I did not think I would have. Chains did get me out, but I had to chain up. I've had great times in 2WD Westies, both automatics and manuals. In the end, living in Colorado, I prefer a Syncro. I do love this current van. It has been to many a ski hill and river this year. When you're not worried about how it looks you can charge slightly harder then normal. This rig has charged some spots folks with nice Syncros would not subject their paint to. This rig has seen more use then some Syncros that I've owned. Its a work horse.

[/img]
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Syncro expedition or Westfalia 2WD highway cruiser? Reply with quote

I dont see 2wds as highway cruisers. With the sort wheelbase and rear engine over the drive tires, they are pretty competent on logging roads and such.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Syncro expedition or Westfalia 2WD highway cruiser? Reply with quote

I vote for lifted Syncro Smile

BTW, do you have a high-res of the pic below?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: