Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fiberfab 356 speedster vs. intermeccanica Speedster and CMC
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Alex Dragone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Fiberfab 356 speedster vs. intermeccanica Speedster and CMC Reply with quote

I have been told that the early intermeccanica speedsters and the early fiberfab speedsters are made from the same mold? What are the differences? Also what is the difference between CMC and Fiberfab? Any info would be great! Thanks!
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Fiberfab 356 speedster vs. intermeccanica Speedster and Reply with quote

FiberFab and CMC are basically one in the same. I can't remember which came first but they are the same.

Intermeccanica early cars used a VW chassis while later cars had their own frames.

I don't know if they are from the same mold but here is my old CMC speedster, an Intermeccanica replacement fender, and the final product.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiberfab 356 speedster vs. intermeccanica Speedster and Reply with quote

Yup all early IMs were same as as FF and CMC. Each has a different hood handle emblem and a body serial sticker often left off by builder. All had same cast aluminum hibatchi grill. IMs seem to command higher price probably because most were build in California by IM while majority of FF/CMC were home built.

Good history here with years-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiberfab

Last edited by Wolfgangdieter on Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bim55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiberfab 356 speedster vs. intermeccanica Speedster and Reply with quote

The fit and finsh of modern Internechanica represent the high end of Speedsters, many today price 50+k along with Beck Speedsters. Both of these are custom built tube based chassis cars today. Not really owner built cars.

As stated earlier, older (late 80's early 90's) IM's were pan based and more similar to the majority of Speedster kits on VW chassis.

CMC/Fiberfab as well as well as Vintage Speedsters were probably all reinforced pan based with a few exceptions that used aftermarket VW replacement chassis.

Beyond the traditional air-cooled optioned, you'll find a Suby mid-engined version that is so popular there is a 2 year wait list for one, and a few electrics outthere

Whats the difference? Too many variations to cover here. Any one would make a great driver and there are plenty of parts available foe the Speedster tub as well as the VW stuff.

Go to www.speedsterowners.com to learn more, but today these are largely turn key cars on this site and not many are owner built anymore.

Bob E
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiberfab 356 speedster vs. intermeccanica Speedster and Reply with quote

Actually quite a few owner built Speedsters there (and a few 359's). I suspect 60% were home built. You can still find unbuilt FF/CMC out there - some still in shipping crates.

There are still rollers available - built cars minus engine and trans - check Vintage Speedster and BECK Special Edition. Also there is a new company in Calif JDT Cars and also KitzKrieg/Seduction Motors. Each produce a car to stage you desire or can afford. Order a Subbie powered Speedster from SAS and expect a 10 year plus build time! Current buyer at top of list has been there for 9+ years.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1846149

Last edited by Wolfgangdieter on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alex Dragone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiberfab 356 speedster vs. intermeccanica Speedster and Reply with quote

I have heard that early on a few people put these together with 356 parts like engines, gas tanks and other stuff before the parts got really expensive with the Porsche market today. I'd really like to find one with real 356 parts. Do they exist? Most guys today seem to build a crazy Vw engine more powerful than an original Porsche super, but having the real Porsche parts I think really ads to the experience and I believe the value to the car. I'm sure there are a Million views on this but any thoughts on this?
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiberfab 356 speedster vs. intermeccanica Speedster and Reply with quote

Couple years ago I went to find Meyers Manx original shop in Newport Beach. When I got there I saw a guy driving by in a Speedster and asked him to stop and pose in front of the old shop. After I got my picture I talked to him and found out he keeps his car in a unit right beside the old shop. I thought it was a replica but found out it was an original Speedster and it had a Jake Raby 914 engine which sounded amazing and the narrow alloy wheels were spares off a late 911, I had no doubt this guy could have afforded a 356 engine or maybe even a twin cam, but he chose the less expensive and even more powerful late model stuff, just for the pure fun of it

Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiberfab 356 speedster vs. intermeccanica Speedster and Reply with quote

Nothing like the sound of a 356 Porsche square exhaust port engine! But the cost of a stock 60/75/90 HP 356 engine is much greater that equal or larger VW engine --- and parts are readily available and affordable (although VW costs have gone up in recent years).

You just missed one on THESAMBA right there in CT.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1850288

IMHO a VW T4 engine or even Subaru power is better bang for the buck.

If you want real 356 speedster experience - go with VW pan from older swing axle non-synchro trans with drum brakes. Honestly, they had squirrelly handling compared to an IRS VW chassis with front disc brakes (disc in rear a bonus).
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Fiberfab 356 speedster vs. intermeccanica Speedster and Reply with quote

Alex Dragone wrote:
I have heard that early on a few people put these together with 356 parts like engines, gas tanks and other stuff before the parts got really expensive with the Porsche market today. I'd really like to find one with real 356 parts. Do they exist? Most guys today seem to build a crazy Vw engine more powerful than an original Porsche super, but having the real Porsche parts I think really ads to the experience and I believe the value to the car. I'm sure there are a Million views on this but any thoughts on this?

A replica with 356 parts won't make the experience any more "real" than if built with VW stuff, and I don't think it will add to the value either, but that's the beauty of messing with these plastic abortions (not my words); you can do it up any way you want. Most people, when looking at the car won't know the difference (they'll just be standing there drooling, wanting a ride and asking all sorts of questions) and most Porsche enthusiasts/purists will look down on it (it won't matter whether it has 356 or VW parts) as something not worth their time, as it doesn't have a Porsche vin number.

As Wolfgang said, a pan based swingaxle car with drums, a 1600 dual carbed engine and 165 tires will pretty well emulate the experience (quirckiness and all) of an original car. For a car with more predictable (and safer) handling that's way more fun to drive, again, listen to the Wolf- irs and front discs are the way to go. Then, when you start thinking it needs sway bars, or wider tires and wheels (or maybe even Fuchs), or something over 2 liters with 140 or more hp (this is where it gets really fun! Twisted Evil ) then come over to www.speedsterowners.com and we will
WELCOME YOU TO THE MADNESS!!

Greg- How are you?
Restomod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Fiberfab 356 speedster vs. intermeccanica Speedster and Reply with quote

WOW i cant see why anyone would wait 10 plus years for a car to be built by any maker!! Whats the draw?
If real is your thing you just missed this tub...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-Porsche-356-/27205697...7675.l2557
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiberfab 356 speedster vs. intermeccanica Speedster and Reply with quote

Restomod wrote:
WOW i cant see why anyone would wait 10 plus years for a car to be built by any maker!! Whats the draw?

He's an awfully good talker, apparently. I've never met the guy, or had any dealings with him, but according to info on SOC (all from the public record) he went bankrupt in 2012, convinced most of the people he had already taken deposits from they would still get their cars, is still taking orders (and deposits) but hasn't delivered a car (as far as we know) since 2013. What I find hard to believe is that people who had given him money and were waiting for a car when he went bankrupt 3-4-5 (and who knows how many more; oh, pardon me, it's 9 or 10 now) years ago still think they're going to get their cars! IIrc the queue is 15 or 18 deep; I think he's currently in the business of taking deposits, and at his age possibly doesn't plan on producing any more cars...
Restomod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiberfab 356 speedster vs. intermeccanica Speedster and Reply with quote

I gotcha that makes it an even bigger WOW! Thats just crazy how people still think they will get a car from someone like that.
I have trusted a couple shady (ish) kit car guys and i lucked out and got what i ordered but not for that much money.
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiberfab 356 speedster vs. intermeccanica Speedster and Reply with quote

I really don't get it either.
Alex Dragone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiberfab 356 speedster vs. intermeccanica Speedster and Reply with quote

I still believe if you have a car that is made up of mostly real 356 parts, that its value is greater and easier to sell then a car that is 100% VW because it's appealing. its just not done because the Porsche parts are too expensive, but there is a reason for that. Yes you can dump a lot of money into a Vw engine and make it much faster than a 356 engine; but the 356 engine and parts are still going to be worth much more. i sell cars for a living and would much rather have the car made up of real 356 parts over a car that was a beefed up Vw anyday. I'm not trying to start a debate. All of these kit cars are very cool and very unique. I'd really like to have a good 550 replica with a real 550 4 cam engine, then you'd really have something. Thanks for everyone's input.
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiberfab 356 speedster vs. intermeccanica Speedster and Reply with quote

Yep - there are suckers born every minute, the Porsche and Corvette variety lead that parade.
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Fiberfab 356 speedster vs. intermeccanica Speedster and Reply with quote

Alex Dragone wrote:
I still believe if you have a car that is made up of mostly real 356 parts, that its value is greater and easier to sell then a car that is 100% VW because it's appealing. its just not done because the Porsche parts are too expensive, but there is a reason for that. Yes you can dump a lot of money into a Vw engine and make it much faster than a 356 engine; but the 356 engine and parts are still going to be worth much more. i sell cars for a living and would much rather have the car made up of real 356 parts over a car that was a beefed up Vw anyday. I'm not trying to start a debate. All of these kit cars are very cool and very unique. I'd really like to have a good 550 replica with a real 550 4 cam engine, then you'd really have something. Thanks for everyone's input.

Alex, that's the beautiful thing about these cars; you can do it up any way you want. To the right person it may ultimately be worth more, but I don't think it's going to matter or be a selling point for most people. I see a 356/912 engine as actually a bit of a detriment- it's an expensive piece for the power level, is more expensive to get more power out of (and you're limited to how high you can go and still get reasonable reliability and be "streetable) and that expense will continue to rear it's ugly head when it needs to be rebuilt. IIrc (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), the normal engines are only 60hp, and a stock 1600 type 1 with dual single barrel carbs, 1 3/8" header/muffler and 1.4 rockers will put out more power. The super engines, at 75hp don't put out as much power as a 1776 with dual carbs and an Engle W110 (or anything similar) camshaft.

To most of the guys who own or are interested in these things, it's about having fun on a budget and getting the most bang for your buck, as a real Speedster is beyond the general masses means. A Porsche 4 cylinder engine just doesn't make sense in a replica (for most people).

As usual, just my 2 1/2 cents (I'm Canadian, eh!). Al
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fiberfab 356 speedster vs. intermeccanica Speedster and Reply with quote

vw&porch started out as what?????same company using what same parts, kinda like ford&mercury, plymouth&dodge, chevy&gmc,pontaic,caddalack,olds bluick, honda /acura etc and now....porch&vw so....it was the same it is the same, just the dick inside that makes the difference. my paprework for my fliberflab says...minisota I think..,cmc was south fl......although yes there pretty much the same as head quarters can be any where as can the names, just like the china parts with a zillion different names all coming out of the same factory in the wong country, selling us foo.and everybody seems to fight about it.....so....were foo fighters!!!!
MY FLIBER FLAB DOES HAVE REAL 356 PARTS,and VW PARTS.AND MY PARTS.and ....yes even foo fighten mr wong parts from china. and brazilla.....so....if the bug was the peoples car...then my 356 is....my world car.
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Fiberfab 356 speedster vs. intermeccanica Speedster and CMC Reply with quote

Sorry guys for the off the rail topic but I couldn't seem to find the right section for this question...could anyone please suggest a good auto upholstery place close to Rowland Heights. I'm from Australia and my brother wants to redo the interior of his Intermeccanica Speedster prior to being shipped back to Oz. Any help is sincerely appreciated! Thank you!
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fiberfab 356 speedster vs. intermeccanica Speedster and CMC Reply with quote

One option might be to contact Intermeccanica or Vintage Speedsters about interior parts. Depending on your brothers mechanical ability a replacement might be cheaper than a custom upholsterer

http://www.vintagespeedsters.com/product-category/interior/
sanderbing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Fiberfab 356 speedster vs. intermeccanica Speedster and Reply with quote

Wolfgangdieter wrote:
Actually quite a few owner built Speedsters there (and a few 359's). I suspect 60% were home built. You can still find unbuilt FF/CMC out there - some still in shipping crates.

There are still rollers available - built cars minus engine and trans - check Vintage Speedster and BECK Special Edition. Also there is a new company in Calif JDT Cars and also KitzKrieg/Seduction Motors. Each produce a car to stage you desire or can afford. Order a Subbie powered Speedster from SAS and expect a 10 year plus build time! Current buyer at top of list has been there for 9+ years.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1846149

Just a warning about JDT cars. We purchased a vw bus replica coffee truck and have had a lot of problems, with NO help from the company. They advertise that it will go 55 mph, but it only does 20 (as low as 5 up hill with a full charge). Plus the instrument console doesn't work, it did not come with the requested window placement, and bad welds. Beware JDT cars.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: