Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

61-64 Convertible thread and Registry
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: 61-64 convertible thread and registry Reply with quote

Michael11 wrote:
Looks like it was built in Oct. 63.

Wondering if the deck lid (wide licence plate light housing) and front signals are correct? 58497xx

Oct 1963 = 1964 model year.. so yep.. wide license lamp and larger front turns..

Even though yours is close to the VIN break.. Id still say it's 100% correct to have the wide lamps originally.
Convertibles. can waver time compared to running changes (and Sedans) due to lags and spikes in Karmann production.

glutamodo wrote:

Regarding the 1963-64 changes:

1964 began at 5 677 119.

Outside the USA, the license light got wider at that time. There's been some debate about when it was put on USA models. Lots of books (including the little "What Year is it?" brochures that VW later issued, which mostly listed general changes and was not detailed) say the beginning of the year, but that's not right. The Bentley Workshop manual has this entry:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now, if you look in VW's Book Of Changes (Progressive Refinements) in the Body section, it's only gives that change for the start of the model year. However, at some point I found that if you look it up in the Electrical section, you'll find this entry that mentions USA production: 5 888 185 - the end of October...

... which was the same time as the front turn signals got bigger and relocated:

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michael11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: 61-64 convertible thread and registry Reply with quote

Thanks.. Now to personalize it a bit and make t mine. Just swapped out the later wiper arms with some NOS 58-64 ones, which I think would be correct...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michael11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 61-64 convertible thread and registry Reply with quote

Windshield seal confusion...

So I am looking for a quality seal for my 64. I know that CIP has some German seals, and figured I would look there. They list one that is out of stock and not German:
http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16%2D153%2D121A

So.. I looked on the Wofsburg West site, and I see they have one listed here: http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113845121E
So the WW listing says this seal fits: "1965-1977 deluxe Beetles, 1971-1972 Super Beetles, 1958-1972 Beetle convertibles"

If I look up the above applications on CIP, I find German seals, but these are all different numbers:
http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24%2D111%2D845%2D121%2DJ
http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16%2D153%2D121B
What am I missing here?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 61-64 convertible thread and registry Reply with quote

Wolfsburg West has it all wrong .... at least the description.. .. period..
Maybe they consolidated a listing .. and then send out the correct during the order..
No idea.. dont use them for my convertible parts (generally) ,

Cip1 at least has the right description. cant say about the quality..

The 58-64 convertible windshield is specific years and convertible..
Not the same as Sedan.. or Convertibles of later years (65 up)
Its smaller than 58-64 Sedan.. and Smaller than the 65 up Convertibles and Sedans...hence why WW is wrong..

Chuck has it.. and anything else.. it will be correct and high quality hands down.. ..
https://chucksconvertibleparts.com/ = The Best in the flop top Vw business..

https://chucksconvertibleparts.com/index.php/categ...eal-1.html

West Coast Metric will have it.. but its in a front/rear "kit.. but.. they have good rubbers.. Laughing

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michael11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 61-64 convertible thread and registry Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, will check it out
perfectrace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 61-64 convertible thread and registry Reply with quote

I just bought and rescued a 64 convertible from the local VW junkyard that closed. Been sitting under there for 14 years. Looks to be Nov 63 by the number. It's my first convertible but I'm a long time VW guy. Have a few questions if anyone can help.

What year top frame will work on the 64? If I can locate a better frame I would like to replace it. I have a great condition rear window and window frame. Any way to identify the year of frames as I look?

I need a "affordable" top or upholstery shop to work with. I am in the high desert Hesperia/Victorville California. Or Southern California area. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 61-64 convertible thread and registry Reply with quote

perfectrace wrote:

What year top frame will work on the 64? If I can locate a better frame I would like to replace it. I have a great condition rear window and window frame. Any way to identify the year of frames as I look?

Folding tops 62-64 are a direct interchange.
58-60 can be made to work on the 62-64 with the right combination of parts.
(and vice-versa)

This topic below covers what can be made to work together for particular interchanges
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=577112

Rear glass sizes. The frames are wider and taller than their respective glass.

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Compare measurements to lovethatconvertible 's 60 from the 58-60 sticky and the 67 one I measured below.

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

The breakdown of years for Beetle Convertible top rear windows from what I remember were:

53-57
58-62
63-74
75-79

lovethatconvertible wrote:

Just measured my 1960 rear window, it's out of the frame at the moment.
My readings are
9 3/8" tall or 238mm tall by
27 7/16" Long or 694mm Long, Following the curve of the glass
Good luck on you quest.

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Ok.....measuring my 67 Convertible rear window glass only. (across the inside NOT following the curves)
It is 30 5/8 wide and 11 1/8 tall. .

Usually and often edited
MARKYSTEW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 61-64 convertible thread and registry Reply with quote

Hi Guys
I thought I'd share with you my 64' Karmann
As you can see it's an absolute wreck! it came to me with zero history , all I know about it is what's on the birth certificate:
Build date-24 February 1964
Left Factory- 25 February
Destination- Leverkusen Germany
Colour- L87 Pearl White
Top cover- Black
Upholstery-Leatherette Cord Red

It came to England, no one knows when as it was never registered and I bought it about a year ago ( it was too cheap to pass up).
It's been stripped of most of it's parts over the years and is looking a sad state Crying or Very sad
I'm not even 100% sure that the body is the original, as It's been removed at some point, but it's the correct colour and the speedo is dated 11/63 so it probably is? maybe the body stamp can tell more?

It may be a pile of junk but they're all saveable , and the resto will start later in the year Very Happy

theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theastronaut wrote:
Update on my '63. I had scrounged up a '65 sedan frame and stole the transaxle from my '66 to get it rolling and into dry storage. I had been in contact with Modifier who also had a '63 Vert and had expressed interest in buying his car to have enough to make one good car. Was able to buy it Saturday so I now have a matching numbers, but rusty '63, and a solid '63 body to work with. Still need rear seat frames, I can probably fix the bottom frame but the backrest is toast.

The red '63 body as found. Body number is 1964.

After sticking it together and getting it on a rolling frame.

The other '63. I will have to check again to see what the body number is. I have the original 40 horse that doesn't appear to have been apart before. Last owner said he had it running but it was knocking. Trans worked and didn't pop out of any gears. It was originally painted L1018 Brunswick Blue. I'm planning on using this frame with the red body to make a solid and complete car.

I've started the restoration. I should have the new pans in tonight, and I'm hoping to drop off the frameand suspension parts at the powdercoater by the end of the week. The front beam is bent but I have an extra link pin beam. I'm thinking of painting it Anthracite Grey with Brick Red interior, a 3" beam, CB's disc/spindles, and chrome/detailed Fuchs.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 61-64 convertible thread and registry Reply with quote

My '63 is finally finished now. For the body I fixed and touched up a few bad spots then shot the whole thing with slightly flattened urethane clear. I left the faded/worn spots so it looks almost identical to original paint. I narrowed the beam 3", had the pan powdercoated, rebuilt the trans, added CB disc brakes up front, detailed CIP1 Fuchs replicas. The original 40hp was rebuilt into a 1500cc with a CB forged/counterweighted 69mm crank, AA 83mm P&C's, FK41 cam, lightly ported and shaved '65 only heads, and I made my own "fauxbarth" exhaust.

Short vid of it running.

Link

'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 61-64 convertible thread and registry Reply with quote

great looking car
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 61-64 convertible thread and registry Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
great looking car

Thanks!

'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 61-64 convertible thread and registry Reply with quote

theastronaut wrote:
Erik G wrote:
great looking car

Thanks!

Agreed.. looks great John..

I was thinking to paint my 61 red... now with another in the general area... I'm thinkin' now better go Blue.. Laughing

Usually and often edited
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 61-64 convertible thread and registry Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
theastronaut wrote:
Erik G wrote:
great looking car

Thanks!

Agreed.. looks great John..

I was thinking to paint my 61 red... now with another in the general area... I'm thinkin' now better go Blue.. Laughing

It's probably going a couple hours south later this year so you'll be good with red Laughing

'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 61-64 convertible thread and registry Reply with quote

62kab

62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: 62 L41 Black Numbers Matching Reply with quote

vdubfan68 wrote:
VW Logo My 1962 Black Type 151 Numbers Matching . Have all The Original Paper Work Dealer Contract , All Service Records . Key Vin Tag . Car Was Built July 4 1962 . Last Few Weeks Before The Factory Went To The Larger
Back Window Till 1979 . This Car Was Purchased By Richard Litz Of West Los Angeles on 9/14/1962 From Precision Motors Beverly Hills . VIN #4762769 , Engine Number 688335 . Car Has Date Coded Generator , Starter , Vacuum Advance . All Dated 6T = June 1962 . This Car Is Going To Be A Beauty When Its Done . 79 % NOS PARTS COLLECTED SINCE October of 1993 Was Still Able To Order Some Special Order Parts From Meltebeke
Volkswagen Very Happy By The Late Dave Mcfall

It is impossible that a car Built July 4 1962 has this VIN 4762769 ? Do you mean 4 JUNE 1962 ?
Pirulero1986
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: 61-64 convertible thread and registry Reply with quote

do you know the correct finishing for the top inside ?
where the headliner connect to the wood and hook
thanks
michele
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 61-64 convertible thread and registry Reply with quote

I was contacted about a '64 Vert that's been stored indoors since 1980. I looked at the car 15+ years ago and remember that it was dissasembled for a repaint and it had a later IRS frame under it. I'm not sure if they still have the original frame or not, or if it's titled with the body vin or the frame vin. It has a dual port engine, was supposedly rebuilt not long before they took it apart to repaint it. Newer top bows installed at some point. I don't remember it having any rust.

I know what they were asking for it 15 years ago and have a decent idea of the market for 'verts now, but I'm not sure how badly the later frame hurts the value. Anyone care to chime in on how to value it?

'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 61-64 convertible thread and registry Reply with quote

IMO.. a later frame and an early body.. is a perfect combination.. provided it has the proper 5 lug wheels Laughing

Value.... is certainly hurt... .. its an illegal assembly.. two cars to make one..
Makes a great bargaining chip.

Proper and GOOD Paper work.. is going to be key..

Nice part about the older (Pre 64) VIN numbering has no real way of deciphering Convertibles from Sedans..
Pretty much means.. you "could" use a chassis from a 63/64.. and it may legally fly through. Anxious Liar ..

That being noted.. Solid convertibles are hard to find.. if its a deal then snatch it up..

I know many would not touch a mismatched body and chassis VIN .. especially one that is the higher standard...
Some could care less..

I know here in NC.. when brought into the state and ...WHEN checked and a mismatched car is found.. .. .. the cross bar hotel would be on the DMV's mind..right after seizure..

Usually and often edited
bugmandave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 61-64 convertible thread and registry Reply with quote

One year ago this weekend, I dragged this Poppy red '63 home from Denver to Chicago through an ice storm. 52000 original miles, original engine survivor purchased from the second owner. One repaint on the exterior.

So far I've done a top end refresh on the engine. Replaced rings, and resealed it, and reset end play. New engine and trans mounts and axle boots. No more leaks!

Plans are to replace the top with correct color gray canvas, repaint the rims in the correct cadmium red/black two tone, sand and buff exterior paint, detail the interior and enjoy.

'63 Karmann Cabriolet L54 Poppy Red
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: