Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porcelain Enamel Sign Fest
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
custum74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Porcelain Enamel Sign Fest Reply with quote

OK cool the back is blank and alil different shade of blue then the front I will get a pic of the back and post it up and really the only thing I know about it is that it has been hanging in the back of the local building sense around the late 60's and hadn't been in the day light tell I bought it thanks for ur help on this ur signs r awsome if u make it out to az for the Jerome show I definitely owe u a beer lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Porcelain Enamel Sign Fest Reply with quote

This will probably be fashioned into some sort of campsite entry sign / marker, to keep stowed under the back seat in the Westy.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kimrik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Porcelain Enamel Sign Fest Reply with quote

Has anyone seen this sign before? Know that it is older than 25 years.
Vw Service sign for comparison only.

srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Porcelain Enamel Sign Fest Reply with quote

Reproduction. Here's another similar one:

Vntg Volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Porcelain Enamel Sign Fest Reply with quote

Hi guys, here's mine, another one exactly like two posted above.
I don't know if they're original or repro. I just bought it because I like it and I thought it was a good item for my garage Very Happy

With embossed writings and logo, it seems to be a good repro.
This one comes from Germany and its measures are 40x60cm. Same dark opposite side as ones in your photos. ...Any other info it's much appreciated about this item.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Porcelain Enamel Sign Fest Reply with quote

Some new home decor I picked up:

easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Porcelain Enamel Sign Fest Reply with quote

Looks pretty minty!!
I have a similar sign... yet, I'm still very jealous(you bastard Razz )... because you have a sign hanging up in your house.

My wife's an angel... but she wouldn't go for that.
I'm lucky she's so patient about my car parts/boxes strewn about. Smile
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Porcelain Enamel Sign Fest Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
Looks pretty minty!!
I have a similar sign... yet, I'm still very jealous(you bastard Razz )... because you have a sign hanging up in your house.

My wife's an angel... but she wouldn't go for that.
I'm lucky she's so patient about my car parts/boxes strewn about. Smile

Her dad owned an Antique store and was a collector so she learned to appreciate these things. It probably helped that she just dropped some coin on her passion (wine) and I was fully supportive. Smile
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Porcelain Enamel Sign Fest Reply with quote

Not porcelain... but I've seen some other tin ones in the thread... so I figured somebody might like to see it?

NAPA Regal-Ride shock absorbers.
The yellow logo appeared in '64 or '65... but not exactly sure about this particualr signs' era.

10' x 4' single sided tin, logo is embossed a little and shock is 3-D thermoformed plastic... mounted to a wood frame (1x4's)

empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Porcelain Enamel Sign Fest Reply with quote

2 signs recenty seen on Ebay, both measure 8"x12" separate sellers but both in Texas . the odd size has me believing they are fake though 1 sign went for big $'s
Be careful !
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Porcelain Enamel Sign Fest Reply with quote

Fake.
One on the right sold for $570...
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Porcelain Enamel Sign Fest Reply with quote

Yep, both fake. There has been a rash of fake signs lately on Ebay. Here's another fake:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Porcelain-Enamel-O...2149167677

empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Porcelain Enamel Sign Fest Reply with quote

here it is relisted
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Porcelain-Enamel-O...SwUKxYgnqh
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Porcelain Enamel Sign Fest Reply with quote

I noticed the LANGCAT sign works... is making a variety of porcelain VW signs again. Better to know...

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=58085
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Porcelain Enamel Sign Fest Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
I noticed the LANGCAT sign works... is making a variety of porcelain VW signs again. Better to know...

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=58085

Yep, been making them for a while. Basically they will make any sign you ask them to do and the quality is very good. The sad part is there are guys trying to pass these off as originals and selling them on Ebay and other places. Buy beware!

http://www.langcat.nl/emaille-autodealer-borden.html
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Porcelain Enamel Sign Fest Reply with quote

i'm fairly certain that lancat originally made porcelain enamel signs. i'm also convinced at this point that certain individuals are going to the factory, buying the and passing them off as vintage. how many near perfect ONDERDELEN signs are out there? same with VICTOROL and a handfull of others for instance VERKOOP

it creates a grey area: original manufacturer so the arent "fake" or even "repro". they look great and are convincing. leave the sign in the cardboard box, run the hose on it and put it in the basement for 6 months and let the cardboead look like it's 50 years old and it looks "NOS" or: dent the edge, knock some porcelain off, pour something on it to make it rust, scratch it up just enough and it looks like a good "survivor"

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Porcelain Enamel Sign Fest Reply with quote

UZI wrote:
i'm fairly certain that lancat originally made porcelain enamel signs. i'm also convinced at this point that certain individuals are going to the factory, buying the and passing them off as vintage. how many near perfect ONDERDELEN signs are out there? same with VICTOROL and a handfull of others for instance VERKOOP

it creates a grey area: original manufacturer so the arent "fake" or even "repro". they look great and are convincing. leave the sign in the cardboard box, run the hose on it and put it in the basement for 6 months and let the cardboead look like it's 50 years old and it looks "NOS" or: dent the edge, knock some porcelain off, pour something on it to make it rust, scratch it up just enough and it looks like a good "survivor"

Langcat Bussum did originally make many Dutch VW signs and there is usually their makers mark on the sign. It's also true that the current Langcat company will make any sign that you give them dimensions/plans for including original style signs. They are very high quality and nice signs, just not originals from the 50's/60's.

Unfortunately people are doing exactly what you describe and selling them as originals. All the more important to be sure what you are buying.
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Porcelain Enamel Sign Fest Reply with quote

We suspected this. They denied it and continued to sell these. Now they are outed.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kais Collection Premium Member
vintage treasures

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Porcelain Enamel Sign Fest Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
UZI wrote:

Langcat Bussum did originally make many Dutch VW signs and there is usually their makers mark on the sign. It's also true that the current Langcat company will make any sign that you give them dimensions/plans for including original style signs. They are very high quality and nice signs, just not originals from the 50's/60's.

Unfortunately people are doing exactly what you describe and selling them as originals. All the more important to be sure what you are buying.

Like with reproductions of all kinds of VW parts, if you know what to look for most of the signs that have been recently made by Langcat are fairly easily recognizable. Personally I call these fakes/ reproductions, even though they have been made by the same company as the originals.

Kai's Collection - vintage treasures
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacco Verveer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Porcelain Enamel Sign Fest Reply with quote

Last edited by Jacco Verveer on Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 19

Jump to: