Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 329, 330, 331 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Disko72 wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
KentPS wrote:
But I'm a little confused... She has an early bay Westy top, but a late bay body (hi lights, no step bumper). Did someone replace the pop top at some point? Or was it a bus assembled during a transitional production phase?

It looks like a 73, early top and mostly early interior on a later body, still has the gas door though.

AFAIK (and according to the PO ownership) she is a '72. She may have had some body work mid-70's, I believe the interior is orig. Motor rebuilt 10 yrs ago. However, as her 2nd owner, I would love any help in how I can identify which parts came from which year ie 72 or mid-late 70's.

Re the emblem there appears to be three unused drilled holes behind the current emblem besides the two current screws - 2 at the top and one at the bottom, so 5 holes total. Sticky tape might be the best way to adapt a new one. Any idea whether 7" emblem is the right size for a '72? Thanks for all the help friends!

That late nose used the small plastic emblem with 3 clips, the 4 holes might have been drilled by someone for the earler 68-72 metal version.
The 3rd digit of you VIN will tell you the model year, the M plate behind the LF seat will narrow down the fine details.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
bbrowncods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
bbrowncods wrote:
Anyone know what the small black piece of tin is with the hole in it. It is mounted on the case just below the oil breather.

A spark plug wire clip goes in there.

Ahhhh... perfect. Thanks! I don't have any of those. I think I need three then.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What size is the bolt that secures the headbanger to the underside of the top bunk in a late bay?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gotmeabus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I am having some kind of electrical trouble with my emergency flashers/ turn signals on my 75 bus/westy. It seems like the trouble started when I left my flashers on but killed the engine- and somehow didn't notice my flashers were on? Maybe they were on a long time or maybe they died when i killed the engine. I dont know. But since then, neither the emergency flashers or turn signals work. When I engage the turn signals with the switch on the steering wheel there is a sort of "buzz" and the dash light blinks really fast but nothing is happening on the actual turn signals. I have looked at wiring diagrams and my brain melted a little because I have no idea what I am looking at. It seems like it could be one of like 20 connections or fuses. Does anyone have any advice? Does this sound like a fuse issue or something else? All the fuses in the little box under the dash are in tact.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

gotmeabus wrote:
I am having some kind of electrical trouble with my emergency flashers/ turn signals on my 75 bus/westy. It seems like the trouble started when I left my flashers on but killed the engine- and somehow didn't notice my flashers were on? Maybe they were on a long time or maybe they died when i killed the engine. I dont know. But since then, neither the emergency flashers or turn signals work. When I engage the turn signals with the switch on the steering wheel there is a sort of "buzz" and the dash light blinks really fast but nothing is happening on the actual turn signals. I have looked at wiring diagrams and my brain melted a little because I have no idea what I am looking at. It seems like it could be one of like 20 connections or fuses. Does anyone have any advice? Does this sound like a fuse issue or something else? All the fuses in the little box under the dash are in tact.

Sounds like the flasher relay.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

gotmeabus wrote:

Start by making sure the hazard switch hasn't popped apart, you may have to squeeze the plastic part with the wires attached back into the body and secure it with a zip tie around the switch.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
What size is the bolt that secures the headbanger to the underside of the top bunk in a late bay?

Might be in here?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1978westymanual.php
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
gotmeabus wrote:

Start by making sure the hazard switch hasn't popped apart, you may have to squeeze the plastic part with the wires attached back into the body and secure it with a zip tie around the switch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I am about to start working with some gerson body panels,what is the green paint?is it primer or weld thru primer or do I have to remove it all before welding or top coating?
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

It looks like zinc chromate to me. Standard undercoating foe aircraft parts.

WW

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I look through the new Bay Window postings in the Samba classifieds quite often, even though I'm not looking for another one. I'm betting I'm not the only one who window shops, right?

After going through the hassle this past year of converting my '76 Riviera from carbs to FI to meet Calif smog requirements, I thought it would have been wiser to have bought a '75. In Calif, vehicles of model year 1975 and before don't require smog testing.

However, in the months I've been perusing the classifieds, I rarely find any '75 Westys, or any body style for that matter.

Harkening back to the mid-1970's, the US was going through an energy crisis. Gas prices were going up, supplies were low, long lines at gas stations, fuel rationing, etc. And that created another crisis...the Ford Pinto! Twisted Evil

Question During that period, were Bays not imported as much as in previous years? Is that why '75s are few in numbers? Question

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Question During that period, were Bays not imported as much as in previous years? Is that why '75s are few in numbers? Question

According to Ratwell's production figures from VW, 1975 was the lowest full-year production run (1979 was only a half year production due to Vanagon tooling) but not by much…

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/MSRP.html#count

I wildly speculate that because they are smog exempt in CA, they're more likely to get a shit aftermarket carb setup and parked when it doesn't run correctly. But that's totally guessing…

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reverend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Could not find specific "windowless bay" thread so i'll ask some stupid questions here. I have 79 kastenwagen, and heard a rumour that these "run trough" models (sliding doors on both sides) are rare-ish. Anyone has first hand info about that?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
I look through the new Bay Window postings in the Samba classifieds quite often, even though I'm not looking for another one. I'm betting I'm not the only one who window shops, right?

After going through the hassle this past year of converting my '76 Riviera from carbs to FI to meet Calif smog requirements, I thought it would have been wiser to have bought a '75. In Calif, vehicles of model year 1975 and before don't require smog testing.

However, in the months I've been perusing the classifieds, I rarely find any '75 Westys, or any body style for that matter.

Harkening back to the mid-1970's, the US was going through an energy crisis. Gas prices were going up, supplies were low, long lines at gas stations, fuel rationing, etc. And that created another crisis...the Ford Pinto! Twisted Evil

The move towards fuel injection may have seriously hurt sales. Fuel injection was not something the average person of the time would have looked fondly upon.
RBurn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Looking at a 68 westy popup camper. The question surrounds the roof. The rear oiece is missing, is this difficult to find? The front part of the fiberglass has the hinged part attached to the roof metal and seems right. There are two long rods? That are connected to the metal but seem to have no place to attach to the fiberglass shell. What is missing here?

The cots are stock and the rest of the rig is fabulous as well as the body work that was done by a local shop. It has all the westy interior that is id say a 8 out of 10 on condition. Has front window but not installed, unfortunately my phone batt died before interior shots.

[/img]
70 T2 Model 221 *CARR FIRE Victim
70 T2 Model 231 *CARR FIRE Victim
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

RBurn wrote:
Looking at a 68 westy popup camper. The question surrounds the roof. The rear oiece is missing, is this difficult to find? The front part of the fiberglass has the hinged part attached to the roof metal and seems right. There are two long rods? That are connected to the metal but seem to have no place to attach to the fiberglass shell. What is missing here?

The cots are stock and the rest of the rig is fabulous as well as the body work that was done by a local shop. It has all the westy interior that is id say a 8 out of 10 on condition. Has front window but not installed, unfortunately my phone batt died before interior shots.

[pics]

Too bad the phone died, some pics of the rocker panels from underneath looking outwards would be very useful, shiny paint doesn't indicate a good repair.
The prop rods should screw to the wooden frame in the top near the back, it's the same strip of wood the canvas staples to, it's sometimes rotted and missing, count on learning how to fiberglass if you have to fix that. The luggage rack is available used and fairly easy to find, there are also new ones offered by a seller here on TS.
Don't pull the trigger until the windshield is installed by the shop, if they F'd up the lower lip rust repair the glass may not fit now.

Слава Україні!
RBurn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
RBurn wrote:

[pics]

Too bad the phone died, some pics of the rocker panels from underneath looking outwards would be very useful, shiny paint doesn't indicate a good repair.
The prop rods should screw to the wooden frame in the top near the back, it's the same strip of wood the canvas staples to, it's sometimes rotted and missing, count on learning how to fiberglass if you have to fix that. The luggage rack is available used and fairly easy to find, there are also new ones offered by a seller here on TS.
Don't pull the trigger until the windshield is installed by the shop, if they F'd up the lower lip rust repair the glass may not fit now.

Great, thanks for the information, the wood is solid and been glassed to the shell. Good info on the front window. I used to do body and paint and i hear what you are saying. Ill need to get serious and crawl all over it, but the work has been done and looks good. What under is a good question. The owner got it for rent due on a some commerical space he owns. He need to tell me if he wants to keep the project or sell. His daughter was interested, but you now how that goes, motor runs, basically stock. We will see. I wanted a popup so i may sell the 70 tin top westy and keep this and my 70 passenger bus.

Thanks again.

Rob
70 T2 Model 221 *CARR FIRE Victim
70 T2 Model 231 *CARR FIRE Victim
GfunkBus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Definite stupid question... What is the purpose of the tiny lightbulb in the turn signal housing? Is it a running light in addition to the main turn signal? Some kind of parking light?

I'll try a voltmeter on it soon but figured I'd consult the gurus.

Thanks in advance!
It Runs! -- http://youtu.be/kT5hOtwiOgk
And drives! - https://youtu.be/rVkoAgeOop0
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

USDOT requires cars to have side marker bulbs. VW saw the exhausting turn signal housing as the easiest spot to put them. Even though there is the yellow reflector on he front door they were never intended to illuminate though many people have made them do so.

Link

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Nice bus! I bought a replacement base for my right rear marker, but for the life of me I can't get it to attach, is there a trick to this? (from Jbugs). I'm thinking it's just because the gasket is so new.

Where did you get that front guard?

Thanks in advance,
Kent

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 329, 330, 331 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 330 of 515

Jump to: