Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Off to paint
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Off to paint Reply with quote

Here is my Thing going off to body shop. Fixing a few rust areas and going with a new color. I will post some pictures as my build progresses.
Pete
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Banker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Off to paint Reply with quote

Wow it looks like it just got back from paint.

07 Charger Sublime
03 Goldwing
74 Thing
Pete VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Off to paint Reply with quote

At 20 feet it looks pretty good but up close there's several spots were the Bando from a paint job nine years ago is swelling out with rust behind. The pan is solid. I am making a removable panel for easier motor install and switching to euro style tail lights.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Off to paint Reply with quote

She does look fr sh from paint! Good to get it back under. Patrol now, before she rots further!

Are You making the whole tail removable, or just doing the GI Joe mod to the apron?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Off to paint Reply with quote

Pete VW wrote:
At 20 feet it looks pretty good but up close there's several spots were the Bando from a paint job nine years ago is swelling out with rust behind. The pan is solid. I am making a removable panel for easier motor install and switching to euro style tail lights.

Going to copy my paint color and light setup?? Laughing
Pete VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Off to paint Reply with quote

I might as well go with new tail lights. Next I might as well cut out a panel to make engine install/removal easy. Not a good picture.

Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Off to paint Reply with quote

I believe the Euro lights were the amber over red. Not like US Split Window all red that requires a different wiring setup. .
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Off to paint Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
I believe the Euro lights were the amber over red. Not like US Split Window all red that requires a different wiring setup. .

Yep:
Pete VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Off to paint Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing that out. I am new to VW's and Things. Learning as I go.
Looks like Euro will fit. I will be running a new wiring harness so I will be able to get either style to work.
Pete VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Off to paint Reply with quote

Update on my Thing. Sand blasting showed that front was repaired at sometime but repair looked to be done right. Going to fix minor rust in battery area with patch panel from the TS. Hope to have in primer next week.

ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Off to paint Reply with quote

awesome happenings. I wish I could do that. The PO did body work and a couple of spots have the small bubble from bondo being pushed.
I also would love to change the color.
How much will you be spending on paint if I can ask? Single stage or clear coat over?
Pete VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Off to paint Reply with quote

It will be single stage no clear coat. I don't have a price on paint yet.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Off to paint Reply with quote

sounds good keep us posted
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Off to paint Reply with quote

That's a nice solid Thing you got there. Glad to see it coming together, keep up the good work!
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Pete VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Off to paint Reply with quote

A lot of time on this panel. I hope it's worth it when I go to install engine,
Pete VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Off to paint Reply with quote

Finally in primer. Hope to have it in color by end of next week. I am happy with dash panel. Found that this Thing was originally white then yellow and when I bought it orange. Next you will see my color choice.

iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Off to paint Reply with quote

Pete VW wrote:
Next you will see my color choice.

What a tease.

I think modifying the rear like that is a smart move.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Off to paint Reply with quote

As a person who has shoe horned too many engines to count out of a tight engine bay in a Thing, that is a well worth modification.

Can you give close up photos of what you used to re-fasten?

Thanks
Pete VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Off to paint Reply with quote

Finally in color. Watch out it's bright. New beam lowered with disc brakes. Next is rear disc brakes and lowered. Reassembling on going. Only frustration is engine tin what a PIA.
Hobug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Off to paint Reply with quote

I like both the color and the stance! (I know the back isn't down yet)
72 Super
63 Bug
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: