Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bus hunting history...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 875, 876, 877 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

that tilt/canvas is a brazilian one. i had one on my singlecab. they're cool. the rear section goes up and down like a window shade

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuñado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The_Captainn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

So story goes my SC (Left) was used on a farm somewhere on the Texas/New Mexico border. It kept overheating and it got parked. At some point for 40+ years is ended up in a field in Portales New Mexico sitting right next to the other SC on the right. Sometime in the late 2000's the guy I purchased it from had picked it up and his buddy got the SC on the right. From the pictures I received it looks just like the logo Roswell dealership SC. I had seen it here on Samba a while back. It would be cool to find the current owner.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GFK WORLDWIDE

1959 Standard Microbus
1961 Double Cab
1963 Caravelle Camper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

UZI wrote:
that tilt/canvas is a brazilian one. i had one on my singlecab. they're cool. the rear section goes up and down like a window shade

Check with BulliBill...he also has same Brazilian tilt..and knowledge on the subject..
Nice find cheers
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

IIRC Dawn from PLF had some connection on those tilts.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

GFKCHRIS wrote:
So story goes my SC (Left) was used on a farm somewhere on the Texas/New Mexico border. It kept overheating and it got parked. At some point for 40+ years is ended up in a field in Portales New Mexico sitting right next to the other SC on the right. Sometime in the late 2000's the guy I purchased it from had picked it up and his buddy got the SC on the right. From the pictures I received it looks just like the logo Roswell dealership SC. I had seen it here on Samba a while back. It would be cool to find the current owner.

Nice score chris. Your dad told me you had your eye on this thing for a while!
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

i started cleaning up the SO-42

before:

after:

it was a tough call whether to leave it or clean it. i think the oxidation looks cool but this bus deserves respect. it's got strong OG paint and is really straight. the "patina" will be OG paint with some minor wear thru here and there. it's a killer bus. i'm glad to have it and won't consider selling it.

Quote:
Quote:
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Any pics of the inside?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

UZI wrote:

before:

after:

it was a tough call whether to leave it or clean it. i think the oxidation looks cool but this bus deserves respect. it's got strong OG paint and is really straight. the "patina" will be OG paint with some minor wear thru here and there. it's a killer bus. i'm glad to have it and won't consider selling it.

That nose cleaned right up.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

yeah, pretty good first pass. i gotta pull off the emblem, bumber, turnsignals and headlights for the next pass. the nose is the heaviest oxidation. the longwall oxidation wiped off like it was dirt.

Quote:
Quote:
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Looks great, did you hit it with TR-3?
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

it even got vw bus nerd bumper steps

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

Skim wrote:
GFKCHRIS wrote:

Nice score chris. Your dad told me you had your eye on this thing for a while!

A double staging of some SC’s, I can only dream away of such awesomeness. And to think, all they wanted was to be rescued and put to work!
Nice score on the lefty!
Texas sure is good to vehicles, I need to start looking down there more.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Any pics of the inside?

x2 !!

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Sweet UZI looks so nice, is TR3 all you used? If so did you use a power polisher? I have a can of TR3 and would to use it Cool

UZI wrote:

before:

after:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustinwor
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Came across this one definitely needs some love missing the bulk head and m code plate but the vin is stamped in the back

UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Sweet UZI looks so nice, is TR3 all you used? If so did you use a power polisher? I have a can of TR3 and would to use it Cool

Never use a motorized buffer on OG paint. I used a 20% mixture of prep etch and water with grey 3M pads as recommended by a buddy. The prep etch cuts the iron oxide.

Other vehicles I've rubbed out with just TR3. It's a polish and glaze in one so it takes off far less paint than buffing and waxing.

Linda's question made me wonder if there is an OG paint detailing thread on here. I haven't looked

Quote:
Quote:
Shortbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
Shits gettin deep. That engine compartment is jam packed.

Skim... search thread "Mouse in Kombi, how to kill?"
You're welcome. Very Happy
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

UZI the closest thread I could find and have chatted on is "Original Paint and Patina Extravaganza" found in Readers Rides. I have gotten some tips there such as just use polish but I would like more detailed steps and product for clarity. I would think a separate thread in the Body & Paint forum would be better. UZI do you have a brand or chemical solution for the "prep etch" product? Do you mean "Ospho"? http://ospho.com. And which product removed the surface rust? For a guy who doesn't detail patina for a living you have really inspired many I'm sure. Wink

Original Paint and Patina Extravaganza
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...start=2480

UZI wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

Never use a motorized buffer on OG paint. I used a 20% mixture of prep etch and water with grey 3M pads as recommended by a buddy. The prep etch cuts the iron oxide.

Other vehicles I've rubbed out with just TR3. It's a polish and glaze in one so it takes off far less paint than buffing and waxing.

Linda's question made me wonder if there is an OG paint detailing thread on here. I haven't looked

LAGrunthaner wrote:

UZI wrote:

before:

after:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

linda, the stuff i used is called "prep etch" and t's sold at home depot. 5 parts water, one part prep etch. i used a 16oz measuring cup, five of those and one cup of prep etch. that was plenty to go til i couldn't take it any more.

here are some interior shots. there are more in my gallery. the more i look at this bus and explore it, the more impressed i am

full set of curtains

both sconces

noice passengers side beamed salt n pepper backrest

dash is noice. i had an NOS washer bottle button somewhere, hasnt shown up yet. door cards are on order from clara. seat covers are coming from wolfsburg west

floors are solid

everything moves as it should. at this point i'm not touching the wood paneling.

Quote:
Quote:
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

The Whale Gusher water pump is intact. How's the fiberglass tank?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 875, 876, 877 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Page 876 of 990

Jump to: