Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

baltic birch supplier in western NC?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: baltic birch supplier in western NC? Reply with quote

Been searching for a hour looking for a supplier of the baltic birch 5x5 paneling usually used for headliners. Can't find anything near Asheville, NC closest place I've found is Gibsonville which is 200 miles away. Anyone know where to get the 5x5 1/8th baltic birch panels in western NC or western SC? Thanks.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: baltic birch supplier in western NC? Reply with quote

Try these. these guys.

http://catawbahardwoods.com/

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: baltic birch supplier in western NC? Reply with quote

My experience:
I read many of the threads on doing Baltic Birch panels and then of course had to source the material. 5' x 5' sheets are not exactly standard so I literally spent a month calling suppliers mentioned in the various threads. I live in the middle of Illinois, so the prospect of even getting it from one of those suppliers in the PNW or California was really unrealistic - but I tried anyway. No one would ship it here or even ship it to a local yard for me to get.

As a last resort I called one of the local lumber yards who immediately responded "Oh yea, we got that in stock. How much do you want?" So I asked them to deliver it and about an hour later, they called back to say I probably would not be happy with the quality of the sheets they had so they would order more and get it to me the next day.

I can't tell you why the hell I didn't just call them first !!

My advice - call a local lumber yard (not a place like Lowes - but a 'real' Lumber yard). If they don't have it in stock, they can most likely get it easily.

good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: baltic birch supplier in western NC? Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
My experience:
I read many of the threads on doing Baltic Birch panels and then of course had to source the material. 5' x 5' sheets are not exactly standard so I literally spent a month calling suppliers mentioned in the various threads. I live in the middle of Illinois, so the prospect of even getting it from one of those suppliers in the PNW or California was really unrealistic - but I tried anyway. No one would ship it here or even ship it to a local yard for me to get.

As a last resort I called one of the local lumber yards who immediately responded "Oh yea, we got that in stock. How much do you want?" So I asked them to deliver it and about an hour later, they called back to say I probably would not be happy with the quality of the sheets they had so they would order more and get it to me the next day.

I can't tell you why the hell I didn't just call them first !!

My advice - call a local lumber yard (not a place like Lowes - but a 'real' Lumber yard). If they don't have it in stock, they can most likely get it easily.

good luck.

Very good point. We get caught up in the internet and or big box sales we forget.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: baltic birch supplier in western NC? Reply with quote

Thanks for the help but still no luck including Catawaba.

If anyone has this in their local big box please let me know if you could get me a SKU, maybe with that i could get my local one to order it.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: baltic birch supplier in western NC? Reply with quote

Not sure this is close enough to you.

http://walllumber.com/ply.asp

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: baltic birch supplier in western NC? Reply with quote

And just maybe

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_2_12/...ltic+birch

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
oc92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: baltic birch supplier in western NC? Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/Anchor-Hardwoods-137914179613531/

Anchor Hardwoods in Wilmington, NC had 5x5 luaun that with a nice stain came out killer for my ceiling. Maybe get up with them and ask them who to try.

72 bus
70 bug
96 mx5
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: baltic birch supplier in western NC? Reply with quote

Find a furniture-cabinet maker in your area. He will have anything you need and it will most likely be made in the USA and furniture grade.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: