Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bought me a westy!!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
STUNNED MULLET
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

HI All, Just made a deal with a real nice guy for a 1969 Westfalia camper. nice condition bus, with minimal rust in the passenger floor area. back 2 rear corners are a little banged up, but I think a pretty good solid start to a nice camper!! it is missing the sink and fridge, the headliner panels and all the trim to hold trim on and canvas top. front drivers area is real nice except for the seats. no real big dents besides the rear. the fiberglass poptop is the only thing that is bugging me.. its pretty sunburnt, and is showing the fibers pretty good. trying to research on how to refurbish and maybe repaint? no motor, but all the other running gear is there. I must admit that I have never really been into the campers until I got in one.. I LOVE THEM NOW!! it really is the best of both worlds in buses.. you get the advantage of having a regular bus and then the convenience of having the poptop, bed, closet, and HOPEFULLY if I can find one.. a sink and fridge. I paid 4500 for it the way it sits, and the guy was generous enough to let me make some strokes to pay it off in some payments. I am hoping to get this one home in a few months and start searching for the missing stuff, and get her cleaned up and get a motor into her... I really love these vw buses.. they are too damn cool...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sally the Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

Congrats! you have your hands full now!

I just went through refinishing my top and it looked a lot worse than that. Power wash it and paint it with rustoleum topside paint and a foam roller (dilute the paint with about 5% mineral spirits). It wont look perfect but it'll look really good. A lot of places like bus depot have all the seals and canvas for it too.

What is your plan with the engine?
STUNNED MULLET
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

for the engine, I WANT to put something in there that can get me over the hills that are around me in California.. for example, the 99 grapevine going into southern California, the 152 going into santa cruz, san Francisco, the 46 going into Pismo beach... so I will need something bigger than the original single port 1600. what do you suggest?
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

No offense, but 4500 is insane for that bus. If it's not official yet you should keep looking.

Frankenbus (sold)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674133&highlight=

1975 Westfalia
914 IV 1.7
93mm pistons
Weber 34 ICT's
Cam 264* .402 lift
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

STUNNED MULLET wrote:
for the engine, I WANT to put something in there that can get me over the hills that are around me in California.. for example, the 99 grapevine going into southern California, the 152 going into santa cruz, san Francisco, the 46 going into Pismo beach... so I will need something bigger than the original single port 1600. what do you suggest?

Skills? Skills? Calling skills?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

What did you end up doing with the 67 and 74 you bought? Think

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...67dae44cb2

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Ksprague
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

Something doesn't seem right here . . . .

"The bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began."
~ Bob Weir
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
STUNNED MULLET wrote:

Skills? Skills? Calling skills?

if he really had paid 4500 for that, and is making payments there is nothing I can say....

well, ok...

a 4500 bus should be dam near ready to run, if not "yard drive" I hate to break it to you brother, but that is a 800-1200 bus max.

seriously, walk away at that price. that is "last bus on the planet" money for that thing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history

Last edited by skills@eurocarsplus on Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
jdedini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
What did you end up doing with the 67 and 74 you bought? Think

Or the 68'

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

79' CA FI Tin Top Camper
STUNNED MULLET
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

I really don't think that 4500 is that bad for this bus. It has very little rust
The body is in good shape and he is letting me make payments,as I don't have all the money. Already gave him a deposit. As for the 67, like a dumb as, I sold it to buy another classic. 1964 cadillac coupe deville. The 68 I never bought, and the 74 was TOO far gone, and I sold that for what I paid. The prices on these buses in California are ALL insane... split windows are stupid money, and it is affecting the bays.. maybe you can find stuff in your neck of the woods for cheap, but NOT in my area!! I am happy, and I think that's all that matters... right? After buying a split window for 800, everything seems steep... LOL...
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

I could see maybe $2k for that bus since most of the original cabinets are in it and you say it mainly rust free. Not much more w/out the engine and the amount of body damage that bus has on it.

What you need to consider is the vast amounts of money for just parts that will be needed to make it a reasonably reliable driver.

At the end of the day, if you're happy with the purchase, that's all that matters. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

If the worst of the rust is shown then it may be a good start, although it's not going to be an easy project.

The driver side rear quarter panel gives me some concern, it looks like it may have some deep bondo on it. It could be a weird angle though making that rusty spot look like that. If they have caked on bondo in one area, you will usually find it all over the bus. It looks like it may have been hit in the rear considering the way the panels seem tweaked.

I do agree that 4500 is high for this bus but it is what it is. You can either cut and run and lose your deposit or go forward with it.

Just because people ask stupid prices for bays now doesn't mean you can't still get them for fair prices. The typical high asking prices you see nowadays are inflated in relation to how many bays are still out there. The legitimately great ones are worth stepping up for though.

Last edited by Pinetops on Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

If the fiberglass matting is showing. Gel coating is the proper way to fix it.
Some have been coating them with bed liner.
Westfalia Pop Top
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

Rust Repair
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

sethpat wrote:
No offense, but 4500 is insane for that bus. If it's not official yet you should keep looking.

Ditto.
(sold - but not forgotten)
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

If you are happy , that's great. It's just green ink on cotton. Plenty more growing on trees in Dalton MA. I guess technically it grows in fields since it's cotton. Enjoy your Bus and post progress.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

Has the bus been repainted or is OG paint? Chianti Red is a great color.

The more I look at pics, the more potential I see. The clean looking rockers are a good sign. Is there rust in the rear floors? frame? I see the rear bumper inside the bus, is the decklid included too? Screw the sink/ice box, that's the least of your worries. Smile You can gel coat the top or if you're cheap you can put an extra coat of rustoleum on it.

Keep us updated!
STUNNED MULLET
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

it MIGHT be OG paint.. the Mcode says it was originally "Montana red". if you can see in the pics, I wiped a few spots where the paint has a lot of oxidation. I believe it will clean up nice. the back rocker panel does have bondo, but not too far, as I knocked around and it didn't travel. I really don't think it has any more bondo... but we will see. the cargo floor is super solid, the nose is solid, all the window areas are solid, doglegs are solid, battery tray is solid, but the left side tray is gone.. don't know what happened there.. the only concerns bodywise is those darn rear corners and the left quarter. the deck lid is in there, and surprisingly this bus was out and about in 2009!! last time registered was 2007. interior is missing canvas, headbanger, sink and icebox, and headliner panels in rear (over the driver panels are still there). missing all the rear headliner panels, and I think all the metal stripping to hold panels together. also missing the rear bead cushion when you open hatch. zbed and cabinet in great shape with all the legs that fold out. table is mounted and very nice condition. and rear jumper is there, but the front board has came apart in front. and I get it about the price... 4500 is steep. but its a true westfalia camper, and I get to pay it off on my own terms!! I have yet to find anything on the samba that is in comparible condition at this price. you can find some great deals SOMETIMES on craigslist and such, but you need the cash in hand and ready to roll and fight to get it...

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

The overspray on the door latch hardware says its been resprayed for sure.

Price seems steep to me, but its your cash. Definitely a project, but not impossible.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: