Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

where do i go for part numbers and accurate info?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: where do i go for part numbers and accurate info? Reply with quote

what resources do you guys use for part numbers and to know what does and does not go on your year of bus? i have a 71 and i'm missing various items. i'm finding it difficult to know what is for a 71 or not.

this may be a really dumb question but i haven't come across an exploded parts book or anything like that yet. a little help please.

i have the green book and that's about it so far. plus the samba and the general internet. searching for part numbers has been really hit or miss. for example, so far the internet has been great for checking relay part numbers but bad for steering column and related part numbers.

thanks,
-m
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: where do i go for part numbers and accurate info? Reply with quote

http://www.michaelknappmann.de/bulli/michaelk/vw_bus_d/fiche/bildtafl.htm

http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/EarlyBaywindow/EarlyBay-Main.html
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: where do i go for part numbers and accurate info? Reply with quote

Another great source for replacement parts and their numbers is often... but not always... Bus Depot.com because they have a tendency to use VW part numbers for their parts. It is NOT a definite and perfect system, but I have frequently used their online catalogue to help me determine what a part I have on hand is meant for.

http://www.busdepot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: where do i go for part numbers and accurate info? Reply with quote

This:

http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/EarlyBaywindow/EarlyBay-Main.html
It takes a little getting used to using, but this is THE book.

Last edited by Clara on Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: where do i go for part numbers and accurate info? Reply with quote

Back when I started restoring my crew cab, I downloaded the entire early parts book listed above by SGKent (JerseyLooker link), printed it out and put it in a 3 ring binder. I made a second copy of just the exploded part diagrams and put them in front so I could readily find parts. That has been one of my most useful resources over the years. Obviously it is a lot easier if you have access to a high-speed printer/copier.
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: where do i go for part numbers and accurate info? Reply with quote

Thanks a ton guys/gals. I'm definitely printing these and binding them. You're all the best Smile
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: where do i go for part numbers and accurate info? Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Another great source for replacement parts and their numbers is often... but not always... Bus Depot.com because they have a tendency to use VW part numbers for their parts. It is NOT a definite and perfect system, but I have frequently used their online catalogue to help me determine what a part I have on hand is meant for.

http://www.busdepot.com/

You can also cross-reference some parts using our site. For example, type the Bosch number into the search box and the equivalent VW numbered part will come up, or vice versa, or type in an old VW number and the superseded number will come up. The cross-reference database is FAR from complete, but we are continuously adding new crosses as time allows. One thing to be aware of is that just because we cross one part to another doesn't always mean it will fit properly if you buy it somewhere else. For example, we may buy a particular part from a particular vendor because we have confirmed that theirs is backwards-compatible, but another vendor may sell a part under the same number that isn't. (This is particularly the case with off-brand Chinese parts, and/or retailers that don't specialize in classic VW's so they don't know any better.)

As Wasted Youth said, there can also be other variations. In some cases we do not use VW numbering at all, or we may add our own suffix to denote country of origin, brand, etc. (i.e. "IT" on the end of a VW part number to denote Italian made).

One "hidden" trick not mentioned on our website is to add an asterisk after the part number you key in to act as a wildcard. For example, searching 211611047F brings up just one hit (the exact one), whereas searching 211611047F* brings up six of varying brands/origins. But be careful to confirm fit, as some suffixes denote fit differences and others merely sourcing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: where do i go for part numbers and accurate info? Reply with quote

These are really cool but is there a version for late buses?

"Growing older, but not up!"
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: where do i go for part numbers and accurate info? Reply with quote

http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/LateBaywindow/LateBay-Main.html

Not as clean as the Early file but it's better than nothing i think.
vwed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: where do i go for part numbers and accurate info? Reply with quote

hylomatt wrote:

Yes, better than nothing but if you look closely at it many of the part numbers are not there - it just states No Longer Available.
This is because the fiches used would have been from the late 80's/ early 90's by which time many parts had been deleted.
The best fiches to use are late '70s ones before very much was deleted. I have a '78 fiche which has practically every part number.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: where do i go for part numbers and accurate info? Reply with quote

vwed wrote:
hylomatt wrote:

Yes, better than nothing but if you look closely at it many of the part numbers are not there - it just states No Longer Available.
This is because the fiches used would have been from the late 80's/ early 90's by which time many parts had been deleted.
The best fiches to use are late '70s ones before very much was deleted. I have a '78 fiche which has practically every part number.

I have some seemingly unused fiche for late bays at home, I could try scanning them. I need to check the year tho and confirm that they both look good AND aren't showing NLA for part numbers yet.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: where do i go for part numbers and accurate info? Reply with quote

vwed wrote:
hylomatt wrote:

I would love to see the '78 fiche!
Laughing
Tcash
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: where do i go for part numbers and accurate info? Reply with quote

vwed wrote:
hylomatt wrote:

airkooledchris wrote:
I have some seemingly unused fiche for late bays at home, I could try scanning them. I need to check the year tho and confirm that they both look good AND aren't showing NLA for part numbers yet.

Having those online could be a major service to the bus community by saving hours of work looking for those NLA part numbers AND saving our sight by not having to decypher heavily scratched fiches (*)

(*) for which I'm nevertheless very grateful

Decode your M-Plate
vwed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: where do i go for part numbers and accurate info? Reply with quote

Agreed. I would have to investigate the technology involved to scan my fiche - my desk top scanner certainly wouldn't be able to cope with it.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: where do i go for part numbers and accurate info? Reply with quote

vwed wrote:
Agreed. I would have to investigate the technology involved to scan my fiche - my desk top scanner certainly wouldn't be able to cope with it.

I could see it working at a high resolution, will try to try tonight. :p

It's just clear and black lines where the image appears. Scanner beds have a stark white background by default, so it should pop every black line nice and bright. (unfortunately it WILL bring out scratches brightly as well, but we'll see.)
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: where do i go for part numbers and accurate info? Reply with quote

vwed wrote:

Should be able to take them to a Store that makes copies and have them scanned.
mattcuddy has not been on the site in awhile. But it might be worth it to shoot him a PM. He has done this on his website http://www.jerseylooker.com
Online Baywindow Parts Books FAQ

Let me know how much it cost. I would be more than happy to contribute to this venture.

Thank you
Tcash
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: where do i go for part numbers and accurate info? Reply with quote

I wonder if Mayor Ratwell has access to the municipal scanner....
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: where do i go for part numbers and accurate info? Reply with quote

Got this from aeromech, it's helped me out a lot.

http://www.oemepc.com/
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: where do i go for part numbers and accurate info? Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

mattcuddy has not been on the site in awhile. But it might be worth it to shoot him a PM. He has done this on his website http://www.jerseylooker.com

Howdy. I have a clean, 79 version of the fiche that I obtained after I scanned the one that currently resides on jerseylooker.com. Someday I'll get around to scanning it in. Staples or similar places will not be able to scan this in for you. You will need an actual microfiche scanner, which unfortunately, are few and far between these days.

Same goes for the paper version of the early bay Westy parts book, I'll try to get that up soon too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: where do i go for part numbers and accurate info? Reply with quote

mattcuddy wrote:
Same goes for the paper version of the early bay Westy parts book, I'll try to get that up soon too.

Are you referring to this?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: