Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

If I cover it with spray paint won't I need to take it off again later? My plan was to get some epoxy primer and paint it when done blasting.

It doesn't get cold here that much. I was wearing shorts the past two winters.

My main concern is the water when I primer. I plan on getting a water, air, and oil filter as Evil_Fiz recommended.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

There's one scenario where you will get advice that no time can be taken between operations of bodywork like sandblasting and welding but it's not practical for a one person DIY job. If you prime the body immediately after blasting the primer has to come off for welding ,as an example.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

I never got the sandblaster to work perfectly but I was always spraying small parts. Got a blast cabinet so I could reuse the media.

EvilFiz recommended pneumatics plus and I eventually tried it out. It made a world of difference with the water in the line. I suspect it will help with the blaster too.

I still haven't gotten around to blasting the car.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

I really believe that at minimum a 5hp compressor is needed to sand blast. Mine will sustain constant blasting but does not have hardly any reserve.Also some of the blasting nozzles are not sized right and work better when they get more use and the opening is worn. I think Sears has a tendency to carry decent ones. The one I use now is from TSC supply and I will replace it with a sears one the next time i have the need. It was the cheaper/simple model.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

I've thought about getting a TP tools blasting gun for my cabinet. I made the Harbor Freight one work but as I do not have anything to compare it against do not know if the TP one works better.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

A 5hp with a decent nozzle works decent. Other wise it's going to take forever and be a chore. That's my experience.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

Slow is good for me. Get one of those heavy duty ones they use to blast the oil tanks with and you can be done in 5 mins.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

There isn't a big market for compressors with over a 5hp motor in single phase so it's near impossible to find one new. 6-7hp is as big as single phase will do.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
There's one scenario where you will get advice that no time can be taken between operations of bodywork like sandblasting and welding but it's not practical for a one person DIY job. If you prime the body immediately after blasting the primer has to come off for welding ,as an example.
I took a chance on "After Blast" from Eastwood and it payed of. It is a water based Phosphoric acid and Zinc, metal cleaner and prep solution. I recently blasted one of my spring plates using my 60 Gal. 3 HP Northstar compressor with very good results. What theKbStockpiler said about blasting is technically accurate but I have found the real world to be more forgiving. Here is a real world scenario I just went through
1) Set up to blast a spring plate outside using a siphon feed 50 Lbs. capacity blaster.
2) begin blasting
3) stop to re-position part and clean face shield
4) resume blasting
5) stop to re-position blaster and clean face shield
6) Take a quick break to stretch my back
7) Continue blasting...Rinse...Repeat.

The compressor ran for most of the time but kept up with the task at 90 PSI. This tells me that in reality, if you are not in a hurry to get the project finished, you can very easily get by with your Northstar compressor and a small blaster.

Now for the "After Blast." It work exceptionally well. This solution converts any remaining rust to Iron Phosphate ans leaves a protective coat of Zinc Phosphate on the clean metal. it also has cleaners and is intended as a last step before painting/priming bare metal. They have a couple of videos on the Eastwood site on how to use it.
Eastwood After Blast Metal Prep, Item #11971ZP

Use case 1: After blasting the spring plate I liberally sprayed it with after blast using a dollar store spray bottle. I let it sit for about 30 seconds then wiped it down with a microfiber cloth. I repeated these steps several times until there was no more residue visible on the cloth. I let the part sit overnight and checked it in the morning. The part developed a smooth, dark grey coating with some black where apparently there was some rust. Eastwood claims this will prevent surface rust and I am inclined to believe it. This solution converts any remaining rust to Iron Phosphate ans leaves a protective coat of Zinc Phosphate on the clean metal.

Use case 2: As an experiment, I soaked some rusty pan washers in vinegar for several days. I then removed them from the vinegar, brushed the rust off and rinsed until I was left with only shiny metal. I then let the parts air dry overnight to see what would happen. Sure enough, they developed an even coat of light surface rust. I then sprayed the washers down with After Blast, rubbed the rust of with my gloved fingers and resprayed with after blast (top side only.) After 3 days the untreated side has developed more surface rust but the treated side remains unchanged.

I intend to use the after blast on my body panels as I strip the paint off in sections. I believe it will protect the metal until I can coat the car in epoxy primer and MasterSeries silver/AG-111

EDIT/NOTE: If you plan to use Southern Polyurethane Inc. (SPI) Epoxy primer, DO NIOT USE AFTERBALST on any panel you plan to coat. AfterBlast and SPI Epoxy are not compatible. They recommend neutralized Ospho as metal prep if you if you need rust prevention.

Here is my recommendation for a portable blaster:
ALC Portable Abrasive Siphon Blaster — 50-Lb. Capacity, Model# 41017

I have the 1980s version of this same blaster and the gun looks the same as the one available at northern.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: