Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 405, 406, 407 ... 488, 489, 490  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

I agree with the generational thing...back in the 80's stock model A's T's etc were like 40-50K.....now, you'd be lucky to grab 15K for a perfect one

but here's the thing....no car on the planet has touched a person like a vw...bugs unless very very early will never have the value of a bus. all of the model A and T guys are dead....or those that remember them as a kid. a vw can be traced back generations in a family

the prices have leveled off somewhat. you'll never see these for 200.00 again unless it's a parts car. the chances of me going to buy a bus for 150 and driving it home are pretty much over.

as all of the NOS parts go into peoples builds/personal collections prices will stay pretty solid. as company's like bosch continue to drop parts for the vintage stuff, prices will go up.

take your average 21 window...most need 10K+ in sheet metal, have 2000 hours in work to get it to paint only....then assembly time. it took me 16 hours to build pop out windows once they were painted...that's almost 1600 in labor alone....for windows.

just because someone isn't watching the clock doesn't mean that there isn't time invested in it. funny, because if any of the whiners here went to sell their bus, they'd want top dollar for it...what happened to "keeping it affordable" oh....that's right....you fall back on that market you absolutely hate, then quote an auction report.....the "hobby" is so full of double standards it isn't funny....some of you need to pull off the blinders and take a good look around. just because you wouldn't pay it, doesn't mean that someone else wouldn't be happy to buy it at the asking price.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Yep!
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I agree with the generational thing...back in the 80's stock model A's T's etc were like 40-50K.....now, you'd be lucky to grab 15K for a perfect one

but here's the thing....no car on the planet has touched a person like a vw...bugs unless very very early will never have the value of a bus. all of the model A and T guys are dead....or those that remember them as a kid. a vw can be traced back generations in a family

the prices have leveled off somewhat. you'll never see these for 200.00 again unless it's a parts car. the chances of me going to buy a bus for 150 and driving it home are pretty much over.

as all of the NOS parts go into peoples builds/personal collections prices will stay pretty solid. as company's like bosch continue to drop parts for the vintage stuff, prices will go up.

take your average 21 window...most need 10K+ in sheet metal, have 2000 hours in work to get it to paint only....then assembly time. it took me 16 hours to build pop out windows once they were painted...that's almost 1600 in labor alone....for windows.

just because someone isn't watching the clock doesn't mean that there isn't time invested in it. funny, because if any of the whiners here went to sell their bus, they'd want top dollar for it...what happened to "keeping it affordable" oh....that's right....you fall back on that market you absolutely hate, then quote an auction report.....the "hobby" is so full of double standards it isn't funny....some of you need to pull off the blinders and take a good look around. just because you wouldn't pay it, doesn't mean that someone else wouldn't be happy to buy it at the asking price.

i read this all the time in hot rod mags about trying to get the younger people involved, GEN Y kids, they have like "bring your kids to the car show" all in hoping they will pick up the hobby. I was reading that some of those kids are not into the older cars because they didn't grow up into them like gen x kids did. They want stuff from the 80's what they remember driving in. I hear actually people are trending to early Japanese cars now not vw's like GTR's and Nissan Z cars, Toyota GT"s.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Just imagine the day when the old farts are restoring, pampering, & reminiscing about Prius's, Volts, smart cars & Xb's

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Just imagine the day when the old farts are restoring, pampering, & reminiscing about Prius's, Volts, smart cars & Xb's

I'm glad I won't be around to hear that! "Shudders"...

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

I think it's weird to see antique tags on a Chevy beretta or anything from the 80's or early 90's now.
Collie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

galencurrington wrote:
I think it's weird to see antique tags on a Chevy beretta or anything from the 80's or early 90's now.

My daily driver (see my sig line) will qualify in the fall... Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

I think the hobby will die. Not so much warm fuzzies created in the youth these days. I lived on a busy 2 lane arterial street with a 4 way stop about 100 feet away. I got so I could tell the car coming by the sound. Ford Y-blocks sound different from Chevies. One time I hear a strange sound that I did not recognize. It was a yellow Porsche C coupe. There.
Warm fuzzies in a 14 year old.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

galencurrington wrote:

Weird to see antique tags on any car with plastic bumpers

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
Jay-C58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

brettsvw wrote:
galencurrington wrote:

Weird to see antique tags on any car with plastic bumpers

'68 GTO? '70 Firebird? '73 Corvette?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

agree with everyone here...

the thing is from say...2001 onwards (just speculation here) all of those cars are just disposable...

my neck of the woods was ruled by Volvos...you couldn't go anywhere and not find a 2,7,9 series or a 850/S-V70. now they are gone. seldom to you see an 850 in the wild.

"cult cars" like an 850R, STI, M series etc may hold some value at some point. but those cars were generally cared for. scary to think that a first gen nintento is held in higher regard than a car...

there is a big push for the "old days" and some hipsters are doing more 'crafty' bullshit....I don't know if this will keep the gearheads in circulation though.

look at any show on velocity. all of them are crotchety late 30's up guys. there are no 20 something's on these shows. sign of the times?

I think a lot of this stuff is parents/society's fault. when they stripped all the funding for vocational training and there was a big push for white collar jobs and industry wide, from carpenters to HVAC to plumbers there is a HUGE shortage in these trades....evidently the push to bury a kid in college debt for schooling in some field that is non existent or pay's so very little was a pretty bad move. some of these people realize that, and are looking into blue collar jobs...

true story....

when I graduated a vo-tech school back in the 90's as a "mechanic" I was a rock star....people genuinely respected us. now, we have a bunch of assholes with a code reader and a fucking autozone perks card that think they can hang with the big boys. my trade has been so devalued from what it once was that it isn't even funny.

it's hard to tell a kid you will be the shop grunt, work in miserable heat or freezing ass temperatures...and need a minimum of 100K in tools to make a living. that is why no one is racing to get into the trade....or any kind of automotive hobby

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Shit you are on a roll brother! Preach it - Preach it! Definitely a knowledge nugget. Too bad someone will flush a toilet tomorrow and this little sweetheart will be forgotten..............and the sheep will chew their kudd. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

agree with everyone here...

the thing is from say...2001 onwards (just speculation here) all of those cars are just disposable...

I think a lot of this stuff is parents/society's fault. when they stripped all the funding for vocational training and there was a big push for white collar jobs and industry wide, from carpenters to HVAC to plumbers there is a HUGE shortage in these trades....evidently the push to bury a kid in college debt for schooling in some field that is non existent or pay's so very little was a pretty bad move. some of these people realize that, and are looking into blue collar jobs...

Well, you can see how it happened.
I agree about the education system. I went to school in the 60's. Wow.
I have also had an opportunity to speak a few times to the man that STARTED the technology post secondary school system in Iowa, Harold Brock. He had grown up working for Henry Ford, the old man. Became Ford's best buddy and chief designer. I spent my time talking to Harold Brock about Ford and education. Little did I know, while Harold sometimes ate lunch with Ford, Thomas Edison and George Washington Carver were there, too. I should have tried to spend more time with him. He loved telling about it. Harold designed the Ford tractor in 1939. He came to Deere and designed the 2nd generation tractors in 1960.
Luckily, one of my best friends is a teacher there and he talked to Harold a LOT. The clowns that run the school are now trying to move the whole place to a junior college. Dirty hands and clothes make them uneasy. Already got rid of A & P. But it's hard to enroll recruits/ students.
But a good auto body tech can make good money in a couple years. Play the game, you can make $10K/ month.
In skilled trades a person can too. But hard to get into the Union.
Better money than white collar. But it's physically taxing.
Al
Vanagons:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Looking back Al, I wish I was a corrections officer for the state. I would have been retired this year, under 40 with full bennies and full pay. Hindsight is a bitch....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Looking back Al, I wish I was a corrections officer for the state. I would have been retired this year, under 40 with full bennies and full pay. Hindsight is a bitch....

X2

Or a life guard in California.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Can you imagine how grumpy you wold be if you'd gone that route? We'd be seeing you go postal, I think!
At least, you can see the accomplishments of your own hands. SOME people do appreciate it.
(I do, actually, just enjoy LOOKING at it!)
I have found a guy to fix my American cars. I ALWAYS give him about a $20 tip.
Life is good.
Al
Vanagons:
RBurn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Hey i took that route, but civil engineering with state. 2 more years and sit at home with take home pay, assuming the system holds together. It didnt start out that way but the unions run the show and kept getting more and more.
70 T2 Model 221 *CARR FIRE Victim
70 T2 Model 231 *CARR FIRE Victim
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

It's a whine about part of the bus... the curtains. I read this in the comments of the curtain instructions on instructables...
Quote:
These campers is a stupid trend
Like crete matala
Hey ...why dont you all go live in caves?
Thats what hippies did also..
Everyone almost changed aircolled stupid engine with a subaru boxer to get the car most of the time on the road not in the garage
I dont get it.....
Vw brainwashed....

followed by this by the same guy
Quote:
Chesus Christ!!
A vw for van life?
A rear mounted engine car for space...??
C'mon people wake up what's wrong with you?
This aircolled car has only disadvantages
No space
No reliability
No space
No low consumption
No space
No proper driving position
No space
No safety
Did i mention space?
Now think... If you weren't interested in a bus... why are you making curtains for one?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Every once in awhile Ill get a comment on youtube like that from one of the viewers. Sometimes I reply most times not.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
It's a whine about part of the bus... the curtains. I read this in the comments of the curtain instructions on instructables...
Quote:
These campers is a stupid trend
Like crete matala
Hey ...why dont you all go live in caves?
Thats what hippies did also..
Everyone almost changed aircolled stupid engine with a subaru boxer to get the car most of the time on the road not in the garage
I dont get it.....
Vw brainwashed....

followed by this by the same guy
Quote:
Chesus Christ!!
A vw for van life?
A rear mounted engine car for space...??
C'mon people wake up what's wrong with you?
This aircolled car has only disadvantages
No space
No reliability
No space
No low consumption
No space
No proper driving position
No space
No safety
Did i mention space?
Now think... If you weren't interested in a bus... why are you making curtains for one?

The Matala, Crete reference and caves (In Crete) makes me think ths is one old digruntled Greek guy that is dismayed that "Hippie Vans" are now too expensive for his whining ass. Gee, a close study would show that there are camper vans from converted Bedfords and Taunus and something even smaller, Fiat, maybe, and bigger vans like Sprinter in Europe and American full sized Sportsmobile and many others. So, you just decide what SPACE (oh Espace is another) you need for your lifestyle, and MAKE CURTAINS.
Yes, old type 1 engines were good for about 100,000 km at first. And new replacement engines were several hundred dollars. That still doesn't take very much away from the fact that old T1 VW's were one of the mainstays of 3rd world transportation in South America till their high resale value took them away from their job of 40-50 years. Back about 2005 there was always a Samba seller or two bringing Barndoors off the country roads of Columbia and Peru and selling them. 50 + years old and still used commercially. Beat to shit, patched together, still driving. Space enough for some. Only better vehicle in the world was possibly a Land Rover. Never had one, but that's just a general observation.
Al
Vanagons:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 405, 406, 407 ... 488, 489, 490  Next
Jump to:
Page 406 of 490

Jump to: