Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need a new distributor, where can I get the best QUALITY
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new distributor, where can I get the best QUALITY Reply with quote

I have an 003 distributor that seems in pretty good nick and holds a steady spark but it is also mechanical only. I want the advantages of a vacuum advance on this engine as it will be in a car for touring around the country. Maybe it's time to take a closer look at that rusty old original one and see if it can be salvaged.
Das67bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new distributor, where can I get the best QUALITY Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
You can still find the German distributor to fit your application. Be patient they do show up in classifieds and at swap meets. When looking for a true German aluminum distributor look at the bottom of the distributor. Stamped on it is German and Bosch. The cast ones are obvious, 019 010 and so on.

Try doing a "Wanted to Buy" ad on The Samba and see what response you get. Someone may have one sitting around and not thought about selling it.

Worth a try...........

COMFORTABLY NUMB!!
-Pink Floyd
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new distributor, where can I get the best QUALITY Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I have an 003 distributor that seems in pretty good nick and holds a steady spark but it is also mechanical only. I want the advantages of a vacuum advance on this engine as it will be in a car for touring around the country. Maybe it's time to take a closer look at that rusty old original one and see if it can be salvaged.

in order to have success with a vacuum advance distributor it must be matched to your carburetor and we don't know what that part number is... Also, there are at least a dozen 003 distributors. I presume you mean a VW# 126 178 003 which is the VW industrial engine distributor and identical to a 009 but I'm guessing.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse

Last edited by tasb on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Need a new distributor, where can I get the best QUALITY Reply with quote

Yes the 003 is an industrial distributor from what I can gather.

My present distributor is the original one from the '73 Bus but I am not keeping the carbs as they are in very poor shape. So yes I will have to do some homework to get the vacuum pot to match the new carbs.

Thanks, Merv
Motor60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new distributor, where can I get the best QUALITY Reply with quote

I have a 2054cc
Fred Simpson stage 5 heads 40x35
Webcam 86b
Dual 44s
Currently using a German 009 because the pertronix SVDA SUX. Scattered timing. 009 fixed that problem.
So I've read that the SVDA works well with mileage etc. but this pertronix only saw 5 degrees of vacuum advance. Not sure if it's the distributor or the cam.
Can a TRUE Bosch SVDA be used with this cam? Or do I stick with mechanical advance??
Where can I find a SVDA to work with this cam? If I have to use mechanical, then I'm torn between the Glen restored 010, Magnaspark II, or CB Blackbox. Somebody please advise....
tasb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new distributor, where can I get the best QUALITY Reply with quote

As posted above the SVDA distributor needs to match your carburetor. You have an 043 034 clone now. The German ones delivered between 8 and 12 degrees of vacuum advance.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new distributor, where can I get the best QUALITY Reply with quote

Motor60 wrote:
I have a 2054cc
Webcam 86b
Dual 44s
Currently using a German 009 because the pertronix SVDA SUX. Scattered timing. 009 fixed that problem.
So I've read that the SVDA works well with mileage etc. but this pertronix only saw 5 degrees of vacuum advance. Not sure if it's the distributor or the cam.
Can a TRUE Bosch SVDA be used with this cam? Or do I stick with mechanical advance??
Where can I find a SVDA to work with this cam? If I have to use mechanical, then I'm torn between the Glen restored 010, Magnaspark II, or CB Blackbox. Somebody please advise....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2074805
I have a freshly restored German Bosch 034 SVDA distributor if you're interested.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Motor60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new distributor, where can I get the best QUALITY Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
As posted above the SVDA distributor needs to match your carburetor. You have an 043 034 clone now. The German ones delivered between 8 and 12 degrees of vacuum advance.

I REMOVED the Chinese dizzy already. Back to the 009 because that's all I have right now. I currently have Gen3 empi 44s with vacuum ports. I've tried one port and both ports hooked up to vacuum. Even bought the anti pulse valve. No change. Just 5 degrees of vacuum advance.

My question is does the SVDA work with these carbs? Or is my cam too big where I'm not going to have enough vacuum in the first place??
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Need a new distributor, where can I get the best QUALITY Reply with quote

Motor60 wrote:
I have a 2054cc
Webcam 86b
Dual 44s

Use a vacuum tester (available at most FLAPS) to see if your setup makes enough vacuum to work with the SVDA.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Motor60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Need a new distributor, where can I get the best QUALITY Reply with quote

How much vacuum is neede to get SVDA to work properly?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Need a new distributor, where can I get the best QUALITY Reply with quote

Motor60 wrote:
How much vacuum is neede to get SVDA to work properly?

200MM hg

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Need a new distributor, where can I get the best QUALITY Reply with quote

Some begin advancing at 180 mm/Hg.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Need a new distributor, where can I get the best QUALITY Reply with quote

theastronaut wrote:
If you don't have to have a SVDA...

I replaced a worn out SVDA with CB's Magnaspark 2 and was surprised at how much better it ran, even without the added vacuum advance at part throttle. I just ordered another for a 40hp I'm building. You can easily adjust the amount of overall advance and the rate of advance.

http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/2008.htm

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bingo!!!! and possiably tune the carbs and add gaskets to the booster vents witch help a lot.
Motor60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new distributor, where can I get the best QUALITY Reply with quote

Ok did some testing with vacuum gauge. I could only get about 50mm of vacuum on the 3/4 carb. But I could get 200mm on the 1/2 side.
Dual 44 empis gen3 carbs.
So would a SVDA work with it hooked up to 1/2 side? Or do I just stick with 010??? (Mechanical)
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new distributor, where can I get the best QUALITY Reply with quote

Match your engine to your vehicle to your carburetor.

There is a list of distributors and vehicles here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/Bosch_Tune_Up_Parts/Bosch_Tune_Up_Parts.pdf

There is nice information about carburetors here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185095

Once you find the suitable candidates find a good used one and rebuild it. All the parts are out there that you need in the classifieds.
Motor60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new distributor, where can I get the best QUALITY Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/Bosch_Tune_Up_Parts/Bosch_Tune_Up_Parts.pdf

Once you find the suitable candidates find a good used one and rebuild it. All the parts are out there that you need in the classifieds.

Seriously guy??? Rolling Eyes

I don't have stock carb. As noted DIRECTLY above your post, I have DUAL 44 HPMXs. Can anyone that curves distributors with the sun testers, tell me if this would be enough vacuum to use an svda? Or should I continue my search for the 010?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Need a new distributor, where can I get the best QUALITY Reply with quote

You can absolutely run an 034 with the correctly ported vacuum from one side of the duals. Most SVDAs need at least 180 mm HG of vacuum to start. There are many previous threads on this site that show where they tapped into their carbs for the appropriate vacuum to supply the SVDA.

As far as which is best for your application? Many prefer the 034 vacuum and mechanical while others like just the mechanical 010. Some folks will try both in their engines and go with the one they like best.

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new distributor, where can I get the best QUALITY Reply with quote

Motor60 wrote:
kawfee wrote:

Seriously guy??? Rolling Eyes

I don't have stock carb. As noted DIRECTLY above your post, I have DUAL 44 HPMXs. Can anyone that curves distributors with the sun testers, tell me if this would be enough vacuum to use an svda? Or should I continue my search for the 010?

You heard the man. Buy one from him.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new distributor, where can I get the best QUALITY Reply with quote

I was lucky to find a basically new Mallory Unilite on Ebay for 60 buck 15 years ago because the the seller sold it under racing boats and by luck I stumbled upon it. He ran it once and changed engines.
Last I checked the cost, it was in the $300 to 400 range, could never afford one. \

Dual Timing setting and extremely well made. Set it for Idle and Top End. 12 & 28

Also very large. But made a big difference with special springs from aircooled.net.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new distributor, where can I get the best QUALITY Reply with quote

If you want a stock-appearing distributor, Ahnendorp B.A.S. sells a programmable bluetooth distributor that looks like an 009. I believe you can adjust the curve from your phone.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: