Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil leaking from transmission side of driveshaft?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Oil leaking from transmission side of driveshaft? Reply with quote

I woke up to about a 12" puddle of oil this morning. Upon inspection it looks like it's leaking from where the driveshaft meets the transmission. In this pic, I've cleaned off all the oil, but the arrow points to where it appeared the source was. Is there a seal behind this? I have to replace the boots anyways, but figured that housed grease in these IRS ends and replacing the boots wouldn't sole this oil leak. Thoughts?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from transmission side of driveshaft? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=597080&highlight=output+seal

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from transmission side of driveshaft? Reply with quote

A bit of seepage isn't a big deal so you don't have to act immediately, but do plan this in. You also need to replace at least that one cracking axle boot.

You might also consider doing the inner and outer rear wheel bearing seals at this point.
lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from transmission side of driveshaft? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Perfect! Thank you. I cleaned everything off and just returned from a 15 minute jaunt down the freeway so I can confirm the leak point. Of course nothing is leaking now, which makes me think I should check the hypoid level Smile. Is this a job worth tackling without the specialized tools? I see some used makeshift PVC and other tools with various levels of success.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from transmission side of driveshaft? Reply with quote

About the only specialized tool you need is a tool to pop the seal out and a pair of duckbill snapring pliers. You can improvise if you want but a seal puller will save a lot of aggravation and doesn't cost much. Some pullers are pretty junky though so buy with care.

These seals can weep for years hurting little, as I suggested above you should consider doing other work at the same time that requires having the axle removed to do.

lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from transmission side of driveshaft? Reply with quote

A lot of heavy, gritty sediment, but seals don't look horrible so far. Waiting on parts, but here is where things are at:

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from transmission side of driveshaft? Reply with quote

How does the outer edge (snout) of the drive flange look where the seal rides against it?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from transmission side of driveshaft? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
How does the outer edge (snout) of the drive flange look where the seal rides against it?

Smooth. The marks shown below cannot be felt.

Clearly leaking though. I haven't drained the fluid yet. I figured I didn't have to until I got to the inner seal. It only appears to be leaking from one side.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from transmission side of driveshaft? Reply with quote

lintbrush wrote:

I was more interested in the side of that area. (you may want to clean it up first)

Слава Україні!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from transmission side of driveshaft? Reply with quote

^^^^X2

make sure the sealing surface on the flange hasn't had a groove worn in it.

also, there is a big o-ring behind that diff nut that likes to bleed oil as well

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from transmission side of driveshaft? Reply with quote

Don't drain the fluid until both sides are complete. You want the fluid to flow out of the junction so debris has a harder time finding its way in. Once you've done all your work (both sides) then consider draining or topping off to complete the job.

Like the posters above say, your output flange sealing surface should be groove-less and shiny clean.

When reinstalling the circlip, make sure that it fully seats; no sense in having the flange pop off down the road somewhere.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from transmission side of driveshaft? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
lintbrush wrote:

I was more interested in the side of that area. (you may want to clean it up first)

Okay, here are pics of the snouts. The wear lines are faint and hard to feel.
Left:

Right:

Also, when I pulled the right drive flange out (I have them just placed in there just to keep them covered) I'm guessing this that I found on the ground is the thrust/spring ring? I haven't pulled the final seal out yet so wasn't expected to see this ring quite yet.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from transmission side of driveshaft? Reply with quote

The ring is responsible for the marks on the ends of the snouts so you can figure out where they came from by that.

While you await the new seals shine up the seal areas on those flanges with steel wool or super fine sand paper so they are like a mirror and smooth as a baby's ass.

Слава Україні!
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from transmission side of driveshaft? Reply with quote

On my transmission the oil leaked because the bearing was a little loose and the splined shaft could move from side to side a little and let oil pass the seal at speed.
I suspect this was from when the transmission was reconditioned and it was not exactly set correctly.
I tightened the side plate maybe a millimetre of rotation and replaced the seals and it has not leaked since.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from transmission side of driveshaft? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The ring is responsible for the marks on the ends of the snouts so you can figure out where they came from by that.

While you await the new seals shine up the seal areas on those flanges with steel wool or super fine sand paper so they are like a mirror and smooth as a baby's ass.

Duh, that was easy...

I didn't see it mentioned anyplace, but based on the snout wear marks and the matching marks on the washer it appears the narrower side of the washer faces the transmission?

kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from transmission side of driveshaft? Reply with quote

lintbrush wrote:
I didn't see it mentioned anyplace, but based on the snout wear marks and the matching marks on the washer it appears the narrower side of the washer faces the transmission?

That ring is called "thrust ring" in Type 2 Bentley manual, "spacer ring" in Type 1 manual. It's shown in Type 2 manual, but no mention of correct orientation.
Type 1 manual specifies that flat side goes toward CVJ flange, and rounded (narrower side, as you put it) side towards differential.

lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from transmission side of driveshaft? Reply with quote

Finished. Not the funnest, cleanest or exciting project. Hardest part was getting the seal to seat. I used the 46mm socket and mallet, but realized after I was done I could have put a bolt/washer/nut thru it and used it as a press.

For the benefit of others tackling this in the future, here are a few photos...

The seals are definitely taller than the originals by ~7mm:

New seal in:

New sidescrew lock/coverplate:

Cleaned up the drive flange :

Final drive seal...done.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from transmission side of driveshaft? Reply with quote

For the future
busdaddy wrote:

Tcash wrote:
68-79 Bus Drive Flange Seal

http://germansupply.com/Scotts_Folder/Tech_Article...0Seal.html

Replacing transmission drive flange oil seal -pics-

Differential Side Seals
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: