Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Adjusting Spring
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Brake Adjusting Spring Reply with quote

Question,....
The small brake adjuster leaf springs on my 356a are bent. Every time I straighten them, and they don't break, I end up bending them again during the adjustment process. My bad. Impatience and that sort.

Just how important are these things?
Thanks for any input.
Jim
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Adjusting Spring Reply with quote

Took me a while to understand the problem Jim. Suddenly clear you mean the small thin plates that fall into the brass toothed adjusters.

You are not alone in your problem. For a start, you have to peer into that small hole in the brake drum to see really only the side view of the spring plate. Then get the screwdriver end though the hole and into the into the root of the tooth just below the spring plate.

The first few clicks round seem to work okay then you either miss the root with the screwdriver end and displace the spring plate so it moves out of position. The plate should not swivel around it is captivated but after time...

Without that spring plate in position the toothed brass adjuster in theory could turn one way or the other if not in place and adjustment be lost. Its likely it would not rotate but.. best its captivated.

It is a process that can take a bit of time and a few rude words but you will sort it eventually. I would say that brass adjuster can be removed from the brake piston body and cleaned and even very, very lightly lubed on the diameter so it moves easily in the bore.
If its clogged up with dirt its going to be hard to rotate anyway. But to get to them you will have to remove the drums of course and release the shoes.

I have seen these thin spring plates so badly bent the small radius end of them are only in contact with 30% of the tooth form.

If anyone has a better process then I would be interested to hear like you.

Roy
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Adjusting Spring Reply with quote

Hey Roy,
You certainly nailed my issues with that weak ass spring.
Was kinda hoping someone would say to ignore it. Pulling drums to repair gets old.The fronts most likely won't survive another straightening and my rear springs are broken off and missing so I have to replace the little gold plated gizmos.
My main problem right now is we are above 110 degrees and muggy. Patience runs thin.
Thank you for the reply.
Jim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: