Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil leak woes
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hepmeheme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

Been losing a lot of oil lately in my 73 bay window bus. About a quart a week. It seems to be only when the engine is running because I've watched for a while while parked and I don't see anything dripping. Here is a photo of the bottom of the engine. There are weep areas that don't drip but that look like that's where the leak was coming from perhaps. Do you guys have any recommendations or tips on how to diagnose this and fix it? Am I due for an engine rebuild? Thank you.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

Step 1 is a can of this and a trip to the local DIY car wash (bring a bag to put over the distributor):

Then when it's clean locate the source of the oil, most likely places are the oil pressure sender, dipstick boot or the fan hub seal.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

How much oil are you getting on the ground? A quart a week of leakage would leave puddles of oil any and everywhere you parked. I am guessing you may have a blowby/crankcase ventilation problem that is causing the engine to both burn and leak a high amount of oil.
hepmeheme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

There are definitely some spots and drip areas under the car. But I think it only drips when I first park and then stops after a while. I've been reading up and based on where I see the oil I think it's the fan hub seal. Worth a shot to replace it. The area around the dipstick also looks like it's leaking.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

A dipstick leak is a sure sign of over pressurization of the crankcase, check that your breather is routed correctly and that every part of the system is functioning/open. If you don't have the original carbs anymore, or even not just the original air cleaner then there is a good chance you breather is not hooked up correctly.

The oil pressure switch is one of the likeliest places for a straight out leak to occur. Oil will show up everywhere when the OPS leaks.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

The dipstick tube could also be wet from a fan hub seal throwing oil on it where it passes through the shroud and the cooling air pushes it out, clean it up and look at all the suspect areas really closely for the first hour of driving/running.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

I’m chiming in with a fan hub seal leak, I’m dealing with the very same issue, with oil leaking in the exact same spots.
Prior to replacing the oil pressure sending unit, the leaks were worse, you would not believe how bad that little thing can leak!
My leak isn’t horrible, just enough to keep things wet, nothing concerning as of yet, thank goodness.
FWIW, my oil cooler, adapter, and oil filter as nice and dry.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

check the condition of the dipstick boot between the housing and the filler pipe.

Seems like this repair is always being discussed and cursed, due to the cramped space the boot sets in. I found that removing the lower tin between the case and heater box provides much more access to that area, and made the job much easier and much faster. I was able to stick my hand in there easily and slide the boot on very easily. Entire job, including removing and installing tin took less than 15 minutes.

Great, someone put hose clamps on this one.

This is the tapered end where the boot fits, on the oil filler pipe where it attaches to the engine case. Shown with boot in proper installation orientation.

This is the 8mm o.d. pipe that sticks through the fan housing, shown sticking out of the housing, where the boot attaches.

lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

Clean it and check it, when you get it clean run it for a minute shut it down and start looking around the bottom,when you see oil follow it up to the source.when you think you have located it give it a shot with the engine cleaner,run the engine and double check the leak.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
hepmeheme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all of the advice. I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully this bus will stop being a source of (as much) stress soon.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

soooo, any update as to what the leak was/is?
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

If you want to get more of a definitive answer, do the UV light and dye test.

I had an oil leak originating from a case bolt and the oil filter mount, which when dripping down would make it look like it was coming from all sorts of other wrong locations.

Clean everything, dye the oil, run it until it's warm and back it into your garage. turn on the UV light and watch for where it's dripping down from. Even a slight weeping will be obvious with the light.
hepmeheme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

The fan hub seal was definitely leaving. Has rot see if there are more. What dye do you use for the oil?
hepmeheme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

Leaking
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

Pull the old seal out.Replace it and put oil on the seal / Hub
surface and torque to Bentley spec.

Do you own the Bentley repair Manual so you have the torque spec's ?

You really need:

OIL SEAL...and oRING
hepmeheme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

Thank you. Yes, I've got Bentley. Let's see if Oreilly will lend me a harmonic puller.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

Let us know how it goes, I’m currently trying to track down my remnants of my rebuild gasket kit to locate the O ring, seal came in yesterday, so looks like I’ll be doing this soon myself.

Hoping that with a harmonic puller, all i have to do is remove the center cooling tin, the fan out, and do a little switcharoo.
Good luck.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

hepmeheme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

Well still leaking after replacing that seal. I got out the big guns and took a video. I guess I'm not good at searching. I looked through the entire Engine Section of the Bentley manual and I cannot find what this cover is called. It's not the oil strainer. It's towards the back. That's where it's coming from. There might be more leaks but this is definitely a major one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Lqg_6O4UY
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak woes Reply with quote

Damn that guy taking the video can run fast Shocked I'm of no help. But seriously cool video. Hope you get it sorted out. What a PITA.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: