Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 ignition housing
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: 1971 ignition housing Reply with quote

I have posted for myself a WTB regarding finding an ignition housing for my 71. In case that doesn't work out in my favor, what are other fellow 71'ers doing as an alternative?

Should I consider a nearby year? Or should it just hang the ignition out of the hole until I find it? Any ideas are welcome. I've done a complete rewire of my boss that I just purchased and the ignition housing, blinker switch and reassembly of the steering column is what's left at this point.

Thanks[/list]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 ignition housing Reply with quote

70, 71,72 possibly 73 will bolt in, however the ignition barrels will be different a true 70 barrel is way different than the other years, and the switch doesn't have the X feed (load reduction) but all of the housings will fit the profile of the dash. 74 may work as well, but there was 1 year where they had these goof "ears" for the wiring to pass thru. anything past 71 I stopped paying attention to....

the last one I needed for a clients 71 I think I got from busted bus. it (at the time) was the only one I could find...we both searched. I think I ended up paying 200 shipped for it. they are getting hard to find not all butchered up. again, at the time, the guy at busted bus was reluctant to sell it, as they were drying up. that was about 5 years ago

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 ignition housing Reply with quote

Okay thanks for that skills. I don't have the 71 specific ignition lock cylinder either. I purchased the Hella made in Mexico lock cylinder. Part number 191 905 855. And that's supposed to be good for 71 through 79 so that should fit 70 through maybe 73.

I noticed two guys in the classified ads area that are parting out 71 but I haven't gotten a response from them since yesterday. I left messages again this morning with them. I'm on the east coast in there on the west coast so little bit of a time delay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 ignition housing Reply with quote

all good. i lucked into finding exactly what i needed today. 211 905 887 C. i even found the correct ignition lock cylinder for my 71 too! all is well.
Wasntacarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 ignition housing Reply with quote

Can I ask where you found it?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 ignition housing Reply with quote

Try contacting Gabe

http://gabvwkey.com/
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 ignition housing Reply with quote

I got lucky and found one buried in a shelf of odds and ends at a nearby restorer/parts guy, by the name of Kevin Pope, over in Clearwater FL.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: