Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CIP1 gas tank
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what asiab3 suggested - contact CIP and complain to them as well as ask for the manufacturer and complain to them. Tell CIP they should add a note saying some modification required.

Maybe the tank was copied off a Brazilian or Mexican bus?

But again... why purchase something after looking at pictures of an item knowing it's different and not exactly what you want.

Me, I would just cut the hole in the bus and install the tank.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CompleteHavoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm out side under the bus, and I think I might be able to cut the hole... I don't want this to hold me up any longer...

What is the best solution for the treaded bung, some kind of fuel resistant RTV?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
Me, I would just cut the hole in the bus and install the tank.

we've seen what you drive Razz

seriously, if your old tank is rotted, clean the poop out of it and use muriatic acid. when done, rinse out the acid and mix some 2 stoke gas/oil or gas/atf shake like hell to coat the tank to prevent flash rust and drain out the rest.

having been screwed by tank coatings, both diy and "pro", I will run the risk of a bit of flash rust before I trust another coating. use a high quality filter and enjoy the ride

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
GageVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: CIP1 gas tank Reply with quote

CompleteHavoc, did you ever find a solution to the cip1 gas tank problem? I have a 72 that I'm converting to FI and was about to pay for expedited shipping when I realized the same problem with the return tap.

All vendors mention some modification is required. What did you end up doing to fit in the new tank? Sure appreciate the help!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: CIP1 gas tank Reply with quote

GageVW wrote:
I have a 72 that I'm converting to FI and was about to pay for expedited shipping when I realized the same problem with the return tap.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oh, we're not going to let you off just posting one pic of that beautifully transformed bus. Ya gotta share more! Show off your work!

And... WELCOME TO THE SAMBA!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NeedAName
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: CIP1 gas tank Reply with quote

Hey Gage

Just put the same tank in my '72 for a subaru swap.
I ended up using a hole saw to make it fit.

I assumed the fuel injection buses had a different tank shelf, but guess not. It bolts right in otherwise.
schmittie120
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: CIP1 gas tank Reply with quote

anyone try the tanks from Wolfsburg? I have a 1971 tank that is pretty full of crud and I currently have limited space to repair it (apartment living). I was thinking about buying from Wolfsburg

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211201075D
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: