Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 330, 331, 332 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GfunkBus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

GfunkBus76 wrote:
Definite stupid question... What is the purpose of the tiny lightbulb in the turn signal housing? Is it a running light in addition to the main turn signal? Some kind of parking light?

I'll try a voltmeter on it soon but figured I'd consult the gurus.

Thanks in advance!

So I'm assuming they just duplicate the effect of the running light already on the turn signal?

Cheers!
It Runs! -- http://youtu.be/kT5hOtwiOgk
And drives! - https://youtu.be/rVkoAgeOop0
WestySteff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Heeelp

I recently imported a 73' Westy to Norway from UK, the bus originally came from the U.S and was imported to UK in 2011.

today I changed the headlamps to European spec (so the glass reflects the light according to driving on the right-hand side of the road.)

I switched from a pair of Autopal H4's that was fitted in the uk in 2011 to a pair of brand new ones I got from vwbusshop.de, same brand, autopal, but for driving on the right side of the road.

Anyways, the problem I have is that when I pull the switch out to the first level my fuse for parking lights immediatly blows, and obviously, no parking lights. When I first tested the new right headlamp with my friend holding it, there wasn't any problems. When I screwed it in however, and tested it again there was a shortage and my fuse popped.

Any ideas? I used the same bulbs and everything, and the headlamp is fairly similar, the only thing different is that the relay for connecting up the parking lights into the lamps is slight longer, and reaches further in towards the body.

Everything was working fine before I changed headlamps, and I'm sure I've connected everything right, with the smaller connection for the parking light connected with the smaller cable connection etc. What could possibly had gone wrong?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

WestySteff wrote:
.......the only thing different is that the relay for connecting up the parking lights into the lamps is slight longer, and reaches further in towards the body.........

Hitting the back of the bucket and grounding out perhaps?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
WestySteff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hmm, og thought of that possibility, we tried taping up the cables for he parking light but it didn't work,

Below is are pictures of my cables, as well as the new and the old headlamp.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WestySteff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Never mind, I figured it

Switched around the two cables For parking light, it was shortening out as soon as the lamp touched the chassis.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

RBurn wrote:
Looking at a 68 westy popup camper. The question surrounds the roof. The rear oiece is missing, is this difficult to find? The front part of the fiberglass has the hinged part attached to the roof metal and seems right. There are two long rods? That are connected to the metal but seem to have no place to attach to the fiberglass shell. What is missing here?

The cots are stock and the rest of the rig is fabulous as well as the body work that was done by a local shop. It has all the westy interior that is id say a 8 out of 10 on condition. Has front window but not installed, unfortunately my phone batt died before interior shots.

1978 VW Westfalia Repair and Troubleshooting Manual
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1978westymanual.php

Westfalia Pop Top
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

cv66seabear wrote:
Nice bus! I bought a replacement base for my right rear marker, but for the life of me I can't get it to attach, is there a trick to this? (from Jbugs). I'm thinking it's just because the gasket is so new.

Where did you get that front guard?

Thanks in advance,
Kent

I popped the plastic pins off and drilled holes for screws and nuts to mount them.
Then over time, I would tighten them up a little at a time to compress the seals and suck in the cover.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

GfunkBus76 wrote:
GfunkBus76 wrote:
Definite stupid question... What is the purpose of the tiny lightbulb in the turn signal housing? Is it a running light in addition to the main turn signal? Some kind of parking light?

Thanks in advance!

So I'm assuming they just duplicate the effect of the running light already on the turn signal?

Cheers!

Side marker lights
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4104081#4104081
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ill ask hear first...any body using the LED head lamps?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Here's one: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=661886&highlight=led+headlights

And 37 others from various forums: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
GfunkBus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
GfunkBus76 wrote:
GfunkBus76 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Side marker lights
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4104081#4104081

Thanks TCash... always a wealth of answers. I tried searching, but it was hard to narrow down the terms and come up with an answer. Appreciate it!
It Runs! -- http://youtu.be/kT5hOtwiOgk
And drives! - https://youtu.be/rVkoAgeOop0
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
Ill ask hear first...any body using the LED head lamps?

I bought a set from Vintage LEDs. They fit very well and I bought the 4000 Lumens (the medium brightness) and they are bright. Very Bright!

We have a ton of deer around here, and the original headlights just weren't lighting up the road well enough.

I love how bright these are!

And thanks for the answer about the side marker Tcash!

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestySteff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

One more stupid question...

Is there any left or right for fitting the headlights on a late bay? or can you just take them out of the pack and put them on? That is what I've done and they fitted fine, but I've heard you have to adjust the backplate or something for fitting it on one side?
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

No right or left designation for headlights as far as I know. If you have a right hand drive bus, then there is something you have to do to aim them properly, but I imagine there is a thread for that.

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"

Last edited by cv66seabear on Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

For a stock '70 bus motor, is the carburetor preheat hose from the air cleaner down to the stove pipe the same diameter (50mm) as the fan shroud hose or is it wider? Also, what's the correct length?

I'm nowhere near the bus, otherwise I'd check for myself!
RBurn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

D/A/N wrote:
For a stock '70 bus motor, is the carburetor preheat hose from the air cleaner down to the stove pipe the same diameter (50mm) as the fan shroud hose or is it wider? Also, what's the correct length?

I'm nojwhere near the bus, otherwise I'd check for myself!

Same diameter as shroud , inside diameter is 50mm. Length is 21 inches, id get 25" to be safe.
70 T2 Model 221 *CARR FIRE Victim
70 T2 Model 231 *CARR FIRE Victim
mechanicjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

by Cyl #3...what the hell is this sensor? I found it hanging out when I pulled my engine tins today for cleaning.

2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ - The wife and kid mobile.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

mechanicjay wrote:
by Cyl #3...what the hell is this sensor? I found it hanging out when I pulled my engine tins today for cleaning.

Temp sensor (TSII).

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Alright I've got one.
My brother and I are doing a quick restore on his new project, 68 bay window. We got the trans installed from our donor parts bus a 69. All seemed fine until one Cv shaft mount out of one side seized, and shifting it into other gears or neutral didn't change it. Think of it as the whole rear backed up, cus we didn't have the wheels bolted to the axles.
Any ideas? Lol
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

ThisMetalMess wrote:
Alright I've got one.
My brother and I are doing a quick restore on his new project, 68 bay window. We got the trans installed from our donor parts bus a 69. All seemed fine until one Cv shaft mount out of one side seized, and shifting it into other gears or neutral didn't change it. Think of it as the whole rear backed up, cus we didn't have the wheels bolted to the axles.
Any ideas? Lol

Do you have an engine installed yet?, are the axles connected?

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 330, 331, 332 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 331 of 515

Jump to: