Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'79 Bus, '75 Engine - Passing Smog
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: '79 Bus, '75 Engine - Passing Smog Reply with quote

I'm looking to help a guy get the correct engine in his Bus to pass smog in California. I see a '75 complete engine for sale. Other than maybe having hydraulic lifters, is everything else pretty much the same? Is it possible to pass smog requirements with a '75 engine in a '79 Bus?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Bus, '75 Engine - Passing Smog Reply with quote

An FI 1800 will fit into a 79 but you'll need the 75-78 exhaust system (the 79 won't fit the earlier heads), the rest of the FI system and tins fits either engine. Also confirm it's actually a 75 engine, many have been swapped already for various years and models, just because it's installed in a 75 doesn't make it one.
Also if your buddies bus is a California model you may encounter issues if the smog inspector knows what to look for, the 79 system is substantially different from the 75.

What does he have in there now?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Bus, '75 Engine - Passing Smog Reply with quote

A T1 1600cc. He's not able to smog it until he finds the correct one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Bus, '75 Engine - Passing Smog Reply with quote

The ad says "2000cc Engine Out Of A '75 Bus". I'll check the engine code. The only way I'd really know would be to pull a head off, I think...
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Bus, '75 Engine - Passing Smog Reply with quote

You need to find out if it is a California or Federal bus.
Take a look at the door sticker of M-Plate
VIN, Chassis, Engine number locations
M-Plate Location

California requires you to smog it to what ever is newer engine or vehicle engine is going in.
Other words. It would require to have all the 1979 smog equipment on it.
IIRC 79 California models came with a CAT and EGR.

Curiosity California C.A.R.B certified Catalytic Converter
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=365704&highlight=catalytic+converter
California Smog.... Catalytic Converter help
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=625287&highlight=catalytic+converter
Catalytic Converter comparison...your opinion matters!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559443&highlight=catalytic+converter

Good luck
Tcash
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Bus, '75 Engine - Passing Smog Reply with quote

You need to find out if it is a California or Federal bus.
Take a look at the door sticker of M-Plate
VIN, Chassis, Engine number locations
M-Plate Location

California requires you to smog it to what ever is newer engine or vehicle engine is going in.
Other words. It would require to have all the 1979 smog equipment on it.

Curiosity California C.A.R.B certified Catalytic Converter
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=365704&highlight=catalytic+converter
California Smog.... Catalytic Converter help
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=625287&highlight=catalytic+converter
Catalytic Converter comparison...your opinion matters!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559443&highlight=catalytic+converter

Good luck
Tcash
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Bus, '75 Engine - Passing Smog Reply with quote

Quote:

1979 California requires CAT, and O2.

1979 Federal requires EGR.

Read http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Smog.html

From Richard Atwell's site:

1979:
•Fuel Injection
•Positive Crankcase Ventilation
•Fuel Evaporative System w/ canister
•Catalytic Converter (CA models)
•Fill Pipe Restrictor (CA models)
•Exhaust Gas Recirculation System (Federal)
•Oxygen sensor (CA models)
•Computerized Engine Controls (CA models)

Either way it will be a challenge to find all the parts in working condition.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Bus, '75 Engine - Passing Smog Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

I can attest to the truth in that statement. Not only challenging, but pricey too.

If you need complete FI equipment, try pm'ing williamM on here. He may still have a set.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Bus, '75 Engine - Passing Smog Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:

Hi Tabari. Did this guy just buy this '79 bus? Reason asking is if he did the seller is responsible for smog compliance, as I recall. You cant sell late model modified cars here. It is unfortunate that it will be kinda expensive to bring the bus into compliance. If this bus has been smogged lately and failed because of this engine change there is a no cost limit to bring into compliance.
Hope this helps, Bill.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Bus, '75 Engine - Passing Smog Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
bugguy1967 wrote:

Hi Tabari. Did this guy just buy this '79 bus? Reason asking is if he did the seller is responsible for smog compliance, as I recall. You cant sell late model modified cars here. It is unfortunate that it will be kinda expensive to bring the bus into compliance. If this bus has been smogged lately and failed because of this engine change there is a no cost limit to bring into compliance.
Hope this helps, Bill.

Yes, he just bought it. I believe he tried to smog test it, and it failed. He brought it to a local mechanic, and was told that it was not possible to pass it.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Bus, '75 Engine - Passing Smog Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
rockerarm wrote:
bugguy1967 wrote:

Hope this helps, Bill.

Yes, he just bought it. I believe he tried to smog test it, and it failed. He brought it to a local mechanic, and was told that it was not possible to pass it.

I don't smog cars anymore but I believe it is illegal to sell a non smog legal car in Calif. Not even in a "as is" condition. He might have some recourse he might like to pursue. If it was a shop or used car lot holly cow put your seat belts on 'cause the state can step in here. Hope this helps him/her out.
Bill.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Bus, '75 Engine - Passing Smog Reply with quote

The DMV website has changed a bit in the last few years. I don't know when the law changed:

CA.DMV.gov

"If the vehicle is over 4 years old, it is the seller's responsibility to provide proof of a current smog certification unless the a smog certification was submitted within the past 90 days. Proof of smog certification is not required if the title to the vehicle is being transferred within a family.
If you do sell it without a smog certification and it doesn't pass, the seller is responsible for repairing it to the smog certification standards."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Bus, '75 Engine - Passing Smog Reply with quote

Wow! Great info! I linked this post to the owner, so he can see all this. Thanks!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Bus, '75 Engine - Passing Smog Reply with quote

Does this apply to private sales?

This would just be a return of the car in this case, of course.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Bus, '75 Engine - Passing Smog Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Does this apply to private sales?

This would just be a return of the car in this case, of course.

Oh, yes. Calif's Vehicle Code section covers it pretty clearly. Specifically CVC 24007(b)(2).

And for what it's worth I've read in various searches that Calif doesn't recognize an "as is" sale as being legal. Something like a consumer cant give up their rights. Shocked

http://codes.findlaw.com/ca/vehicle-code/veh-sect-24007.html

And if a shop knowingly changed the engine, shame on them. Calif's Code of Regulation covers that in CCR 3362.1

https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Document/IC9A338B...c.Default)

Tabari, I hope this info helps your friend. It is sad when good people get, possibly, ripped off by sellers of later model cars. This should give a good argument for having any car inspected prior to transfer of money/paperwork. Bill
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Bus, '75 Engine - Passing Smog Reply with quote

Assuming of course that the seller was a California seller. If the guy bought the Bus from an out-of-state seller then he's basically screwed.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Bus, '75 Engine - Passing Smog Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
SGKent wrote:

I can attest to the truth in that statement. Not only challenging, but pricey too.

If you need complete FI equipment, try pm'ing williamM on here. He may still have a set.

I have the complete exhaust also- and much FI stuff. PM with details of what you need. Laughing

what are you going to do for an engine? use the 75- thats for sale- then you will need heads. to have a cali only left heater box to work. That cat was on the drivers side next to the valve cover. My cat was after market weld in, but passed smog .

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Bus, '75 Engine - Passing Smog Reply with quote

Several years ago I had a customer bring me her 1977 bug she had just bought in San Diego. It was sold "for parts only", She spent over $1000 having me get it to pass smog. We were finally successful.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Bus, '75 Engine - Passing Smog Reply with quote

Waiting on the owner to see what he wants to do.

Hey, while I have your attention, are there any modifications that could be done to perform better while still remaining smog-compliant? Like chamber reshaping, lessening the piston crevice volume, exhaust port work, valve jobs, increasing valve size, raising dynamic cr, etc? Can a modern programmable F.I. system, crankfire ignition, and cat be utilized, and still pass as long as the same basic EGR and ventilation system stays intact?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Bus, '75 Engine - Passing Smog Reply with quote

Buy a camper special kit from Jake Raby
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: