Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dilemma Running Boards >>
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
My57Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Dilemma Running Boards >> Reply with quote

Posting here, because running boards for splits are by far the most distinct, and vary year to year, so you folks would be the best forum of people to help me with this question.

My Oval front fenders have the typical bump out at the lower edge. My original running boards are short (correct) by just that little smidgen, that they fit properly. My problem is that the rubbers, which were original, have now fully disintegrated so I need to replace the rubber, the running board or both if I have to.

Some facts:

"Original style" rubbers sold by WW (and others?) that have the non ribbed ends (flat rubber) are in fact, too long for my original running boards, I would have to cut most of the non-ribbed section off to make them fit if I were to use these rubbers (which I bought) to recover my original boards. So that was a waste of $.

The new complete running boards that WW and others sell are TOO long, to accommodate for the bump out in the front fender. I know this. You know how? Because I bought a pair, and not only where the holes for the fender bolts off by a damn mile, they are too long, they don't fit, I scratched the crap out of my fenders trying to wedge them in (without rubber spacers which wouldn't fit) So, metal on metal. Know this if you are planning on buying a pair of these running boards and expect them to fit. Because they do not. But WW knows this. They just don't mention it. Ask how I know.

I talked with Virtanen, and he took a set of the new period correct running board rubber (WW), and placed them on the brand new running boards he makes, and confirmed that the WW rubbers are too long for the original length board. I would guess that the difference is an inch?

So, for the purists, what do you do for running boards? Use the wrong rubber, use the wrong boards and jam them in between the fenders? Are there any other options?

I can't believe how badly the WW boards don't fit. I had to ream out the fender bolt holes so they where oblong and about 3/4 of an inch long. So disappointing.

So what have you done? I don't know of a source for the correct length rubber RB mats that have the proper ribbing/not ribbing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

R
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Dilemma Running Boards >> Reply with quote

buy them here. They are not cheap, but made from stainless steel, in correct dimensions with correct rubber and correct reinforcement plates at underside.

www.kaefervwrostfrei.de
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
My57Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Dilemma Running Boards >> Reply with quote

I bet these are the same mats that WCM and WW have. Mounted on a present day reproduction board (too long) they look great. They wont fit properly though. Ill call them and ask for clarification. Thanks for the tip!

Rob
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Dilemma Running Boards >> Reply with quote

I just got a very good original set of late 53 running boards with original rubber mats! I will take some pics and measure the rubber lenght.
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Dilemma Running Boards >> Reply with quote

Mika would the late 53 running boards you have be correct for a May 53 car? Just curious so I will know what is correct for my car.
1965 Notchback S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Dilemma Running Boards >> Reply with quote

Matthew Tolbert wrote:
Mika would the late 53 running boards you have be correct for a May 53 car? Just curious so I will know what is correct for my car.

Yes, I think so.
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Dilemma Running Boards >> Reply with quote

These should removed a car made on December 1953. As you see the rubber mat is still riveted on the inner side, and the molding is fixed by 8 clips.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

New projects
MaxHoffman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Dilemma Running Boards >> Reply with quote

Hi there.

Any consensus on this? Are running boards for cars that retain the dimpled/out-dented front fenders any shorter than the later boards?

Seems like Rob wasted his $ buying new boards from WW if the rubber AND the boards are too long and he had to scratch the #$#% out of his fenders because the aftermarket boards are too long by that small amount.

Can somebody measure and see if original boards that compensate for the out-dent in the early fenders are shorter than their later counterpart?

Max
Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Dilemma Running Boards >> Reply with quote

While not a Split, a friend's original '57 has rubber covering that are a little long and roll up slightly onto the fender.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Dilemma Running Boards >> Reply with quote

Did you get a measurement of the "correct" or original running boards vs the repops?
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Dilemma Running Boards >> Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
Did you get a measurement of the "correct" or original running boards vs the repops?

My repro running boards are the same lenght than original split/oval beetle. I used good originals as reference samples.
New projects
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Dilemma Running Boards >> Reply with quote

just because this thread is the first in my search ... anyone take off the running boards and leave them off for cosmetic sake?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: