Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 Engine Oil Filler Neck Leak
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
restocal63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Type 4 Engine Oil Filler Neck Leak Reply with quote

I have just replaced the gasket for my Type 4 1.8 Engine filler neck, apart from also replacing the pushrod tube seals also put in a new oil dipstick bellow.

Cleaned the filler neck and the engine case mating surfaces properly.

Applied Curil K2 to the gasket surfaces before assembling back.

However once I filled up with fresh oil, the filler neck is leaking again,, as seen in the picture have I messed up something.

Thanks for your help and inputs.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Oil Filler Neck Leak Reply with quote

Curil K2 is described as "metal to metal" in usage/application.
I use Gasgacinch on that gasket myself.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Oil Filler Neck Leak Reply with quote

I don't see why that Curil K2 wouldn't work for you. Were you installing a new gasket as well? Was everything clean as could be? If so, I'd start looking for a crack somewhere. Maybe use UV dye and a black light to locate the source.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Oil Filler Neck Leak Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
Curil K2 is described as "metal to metal" in usage/application.
I use Gasgacinch on that gasket myself.

Can be used "in combination with soft material gaskets"
https://www.elring.de/fileadmin/Dateiablage_DE/2Se..._EN_01.pdf
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Oil Filler Neck Leak Reply with quote

You are going to need to clean the area good with some brake clean. Get a flashlight and mirror and see where it is leaking from.
Some have had problems with the dipstick tube boot leaking after installation.

Type 4 Dipstick Tube Modification
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7796531#7796531

Good luck
Tcash
restocal63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Oil Filler Neck Leak Reply with quote

Many thanks for your help and input highly appreciated.

Use Curil K2 even when assembling T1 cases and never had problems or leaks, so there must be something else.

Shall check out and revert back.
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Oil Filler Neck Leak Reply with quote

A little help on this topic please?

I am in the slow process of reassembling the engine for my '77 Riviera. I am at the point of putting oil in the engine and babying it thru the winter for a spring install. Here was my engine a few weeks ago. It now is slightly farther along with the exhaust manifolds attached......

Tonight was the first oil fill up. I got about a quart and a half in and it started to drip and I discovered it was from this exact place. I am hesitant to try to stop the leak by tightening the nuts down to hard. I put the filler neck on a couple of months ago and frankly don't remember all the details, but I DO remember I could not find this particular gasket and had to fabricate my own. I'll obviously have to do this over with a 'new and improved' gasket and sealant. What is the proper (best) gasket material to use here... or where can I get one?

Any sage advice?
Thanks - Andrew
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Oil Filler Neck Leak Reply with quote

LockTite 518..

What’s That Noise?!?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Oil Filler Neck Leak Reply with quote

I would personally just use silicone with or without a gasket. Clean the surfaces well and smear a tad of silicone on all mating surfaces. Very little silicone is needed, but if you are worried about the silicone squishing to the inside, then apply the silicone, assemble the parts and torque lightly, disassemble and wipe off any squish and then reassemble and torque to spec.

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/ultra-...t-maker-4/
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Oil Filler Neck Leak Reply with quote

Permatex anaerobic sealant is available through Amazon. I recommend it
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Oil Filler Neck Leak Reply with quote

Was this the joint where the gasket was the wrong size and we improvised?

Also, I recall using Shellac on this joint, an the instructions say to let skin before final tightening. Did we ever do the final tightening? Might want to give those small nuts a wrench and see what happens.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Oil Filler Neck Leak Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Was this the joint where the gasket was the wrong size and we improvised?

Also, I recall using Shellac on this joint, an the instructions say to let skin before final tightening. Did we ever do the final tightening? Might want to give those small nuts a wrench and see what happens.

Robbie

^^^^^
X2

Also if it doesn't work, part #J in the kit (about center in photo) is part number 071 115 315A. It comes in a T4 kit. Here is a photo from Ratwell. It is more common for the boot to leak.

andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Oil Filler Neck Leak Reply with quote

Robbie,
You are correct.
I could never find this gasket individually and we modified a gasket for the EGR pipe by widening out the holes for the fasteners and trimmed a little tab off of each end.

I did tighten down the nuts a bit but I don't want to be too brutal on them for fear of stripping them out.

I think I'll start over on this one. If I fabricate the gasket, what material should I use?
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Oil Filler Neck Leak Reply with quote

Maybe it's a Riviera thing, but mine had been leaking at that connection too when I bought her.
With the correct gasket and torqued per Bentley's, no more leaks. Well, no more leaks at that spot anyway...

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Oil Filler Neck Leak Reply with quote

Two plus years and still dry as a bone.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Oil Filler Neck Leak Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Two plus years and still dry as a bone.

Mike - your hose lettering is crooked. Gotta clean up all that red RTV too. Smile

Actually that should last a lot longer than the stock part.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Oil Filler Neck Leak Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Mike - your hose lettering is crooked. Gotta clean up all that red RTV too. Smile

Actually that should last a lot longer than the stock part.

It got cleaned up at the time. Wink
renobdarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Oil Filler Neck Leak Reply with quote

Can this gasket be replaced without dropping or removing the engine? I have a major oil leak and I think it's coming from this location. I found the gasket here:

https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/oil-filler-gasket-071-115-315-a/

When replacing it should I apply sealant or will the gasket by itself suffice?
renobdarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Oil Filler Neck Leak Reply with quote

renobdarb wrote:
Can this gasket be replaced without dropping or removing the engine? I have a major oil leak and I think it's coming from this location. I found the gasket here:

https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/oil-filler-gasket-071-115-315-a/

When replacing it should I apply sealant or will the gasket by itself suffice?

Bumping this... thanks.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Oil Filler Neck Leak Reply with quote

sure it isn't the boot, or the tin cut thru the dipstick tube? I just had the tube on mine welded to thicken where the tin was wearing on it after 40 years.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: