Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Where exactly will I be shorting if you don't mind my asking? And yeah, squares are awesome! Especially when people ask what it is.

You will be shorting from the battery terminal on the starter relay to the motor connection on that relay. Both are threaded studs. Both have nuts holding their connections onto the lugs.

This "shorting" simply applies battery power directly to the motor part of the starter, bypassing the solenoid. Because the solenoid is not being activated, the Bendix gear on the starter will not engage the flywheel, and thus, the engine won't be cranked by the starter. It will demonstrate that the motor part of the starter assembly works, and that the problem, therefore, must be in the solenoid itself.

----

Way back when, I had a blue '69 fastback that I bought for $500, with a worn out engine. When you drove it, everything behind you disappeared in an oil smoke cloud. I honed and slapped a used set of 85.5mm cylinders on it. After that, it ran like a champ. Stupid thing got around 30 mpg with the fuel injection. Talk about a freeway flyer - it would cruse 85 mph with no effort at all. Sold it to my brother in law. Wish I hadn't done that... Oh well...

Dang! Great MPG. And thanks again for the in depth-ness. I'm still reletively unknowledgable around cars, even though I've been working on them for quite a while now, so it really helps!

Hey, if you want another Square I have a blue 70 for sale! "Needs Work" Haha.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Dang! Great MPG.

Yeah, gas was much better 40 years ago. Higher energy content. No alcohol, just lead Rolling Eyes

Quote:

Nah, too old for another major project, and I'm out of driveway... Thanks anyway. Hope it finds a good home, and doesn't get hacked.

'Experience' is the ability to recognize a mistake when you're making it again - Franklin P. Jones

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research - Steven Wright

In theory, theory works in practice; in practice, it doesn't - William T. Harbaugh

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows - Epictetus

More VW electrical at http://flowcon.us/td/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Dang! Great MPG.

Yeah, gas was much better 40 years ago. Higher energy content. No alcohol, just lead Rolling Eyes

Quote:

Nah, too old for another major project, and I'm out of driveway... Thanks anyway. Hope it finds a good home, and doesn't get hacked.

Haha, for sure. Someone will want him eventually, and if not maybe I'll find the time to baja him.

In the mean time, I've been getting out some of the bus' nasty flooring and awful glue. I'll take pictures soon, but my camera was busted for a while there!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Someone will want him eventually, and if not maybe I'll find the time to baja him.

That would be bad. Don't cut it - sell it to someone who appreciates it, for what it is. Like a bus, they're not making them anymore...

'Experience' is the ability to recognize a mistake when you're making it again - Franklin P. Jones

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research - Steven Wright

In theory, theory works in practice; in practice, it doesn't - William T. Harbaugh

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows - Epictetus

More VW electrical at http://flowcon.us/td/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Someone will want him eventually, and if not maybe I'll find the time to baja him.

That would be bad. Don't cut it - sell it to someone who appreciates it, for what it is. Like a bus, they're not making them anymore...

Oh, god, no no cutting. More "Class 11" style. I cant stand seeing stuff cut up, hurts my soul!
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

I've FINALLY got around to doing work, yes I'm dead serious!

I've been so busy working 6-7 days a week with two jobs, plus the heat here is just so hot (110 this week's high.) that I haven't had time or felt like doing work, but I was finally in a "do it" mood!

First off, what it pretty much looked like before:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But she had ab ack seat installed, too. I took it out before I took a pic unfortunately. You can see the nearest floor is where I started taking a crack at the tons of glue under the particle board. I haven't gotten far Sad stuff is hard and plenty on there!

Next up: there was a small wooden wall here to the right, with insulation for some reason?

Well, that's all out and back to normal - and it looks great too!

Back seat out! This has been turned into a loveseat in my home.

New back seat ready for action! For the moment she'll be a small day camper, pretty much just the bed/bed seat and that's really it (once she's cleaned up and all.)

There's also a early bay nearby that looks like a tin-top that's been sitting rusting for years - I might stop and ask if they'd not sell some parts or at least tell me about it, as I'm always interested in hearing people's stories about their cars.

I also noticed, you can see in the pics, the wall with the window in it was hit and "repaired" at some point with a hammer and bondo, I'm currently looking into buying and shipping a RHD slider door and doing a double-slider. Remember, one day I'd like to make a mobile workshop! It'd be nice to have access on either side.

Other than that - I'll be up at the Bug In this weekend, selling a couple T3 and Super parts with friend GlutenFree. I wish my Square ran to take him up, but no luck.

I'm really looking for some parts! Let me know if you're going to the Bug In and have some parts I need. If you have blue folding front bench seat upholstery, I'll very much be in the market for a decent price. I also need some cheapo hubs for the poor girl. I'd prefer them to be damaged for a lower price and to kinda fit the style. Got a panel slider door? I might buy it! I don't have a ton of cash right now and am hoping the bug-in will net me a bit to spend up there, but please do let me know here either way.

Oh! And a yellow pattern set of rear Westy bedding!

Thanks! Hopefully you guys will see more soon!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: