Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spark plug wiring
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
James Dwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Spark plug wiring Reply with quote

So I took out the distributer, replaced points and condenser then switched out the cap like I have done a thousand times.

Except this time it wouldn't turn over then a loud pop. I am pretty sure I put the wires back correctly on the new cap. I can't find any resources to confirm this. Where can I find a diagram?

I noticed that the FLAPS sold me the wrong rotor, it's for a 019. Could the condenser cause this if it's the wrong one as well? Point gap?
It's a 009 on a '77 stock FI Type IV.
Thanks.
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 SuperVert

"Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold. Acapulco gold!" Robert Plant
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
James Dwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug wiring Reply with quote

Update: I turned the engine so the rotor was pointing to number 1, placed the plug wire on the dizzy opening that the rotor was pointing to, turned over but runs poorly then back fires and dies
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 SuperVert

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug wiring Reply with quote

You need to set your engine to TDC Number 1 looking at either the valves or the piston with spark plug removed.

The distributor has no idea where the engine is, so it can be pointed anywhere.
James Dwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug wiring Reply with quote

I rotated the engine so the rotor was pointing to #1 cylinder, placed the wire from that plug to sit on the cap above where the rotor was pointing then the 1st wire counter clockwise to #4 cylinder, next to #3 then #2 to match the firing order.
Evidently I messed up the wires switching the cap. First time in 27 years Embarassed
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 SuperVert

sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug wiring Reply with quote

James Dwan wrote:
I rotated the engine so the rotor was pointing to #1 cylinder, placed the wire from that plug to sit on the cap above where the rotor was pointing then the 1st wire counter clockwise to #4 cylinder,

Well that's yer problem since the engine spins clockwise Very Happy

1-4-3-2 clockwise around the distributor.

Also the notch in the rim of the distributor that represents #1 is only meaningful if you know for certain that your distributor drive gear has been installed correctly.
Tcash Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug wiring Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: