Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Not wired for fuel injection
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mystreybug65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Not wired for fuel injection Reply with quote

First off, new to bays and already in deep. I have a 73 that was built with carbs originally. But came with fuel injected engine (not installed).Ive been looking through previous post and all I've been able to find are post of people asking if they should convert over to carbs.
My question is how do I got about installing the fuel injected engine when the bay is not wired for it, as in nothing to plug into. Or would I in this case be better off going back to original set-up with carbs. Which leads to next question, how painful is it to covert FI engine to carbs. Thanks in advance
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Not wired for fuel injection Reply with quote

The FI wiring is a separate harness independant of the bus' electrical system, one is grey colored and lays on top of the engine, the other is black and goes between the double relay and the starter. You can have new engine harness' built to avoid the issues that sometimes come up with 40+ year old wiring, or find a good used one in the classifieds or from a bus wrecker. The starter harness isn't hard to find used.

Your other challenges will be adding a return nipple to the fuel tank, installing a mount for the FI style air cleaner and cutting a slot for the ECU near the battery.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Not wired for fuel injection Reply with quote

On the 1973 body, the cavity to carry the ECM was built in, but the rectangle hole was not punched out. That started in 1975, I think. I'd go with FI, but the best thing you can do is start surfing the Samba Topics, Classifieds and Photos for both the dual carbs and the FI.

I have a 1973 bus and it has a good running Weber Progressive, but the distributor does not really like the vacuum signal it gives. I am on the fence as to putting the original PDSIT dual carbs or installing FI into the bus. I have most of each set-up on hand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Not wired for fuel injection Reply with quote

wiring diagrams
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php

FI wiring
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/1975bus_FI_addendum.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/baybus_77-78_FuelInjectionWiring.jpg
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Not wired for fuel injection Reply with quote

Back to FI
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

FI components
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...t_dir=DESC
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Not wired for fuel injection Reply with quote

Which leads to next question, how painful is it to covert FI engine to carbs.
Not to painful. But as you pointed out there is a lot of post on this.

Good luck
Tcash
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Not wired for fuel injection Reply with quote

I installed FI into my '73 about a year and a half ago. There are some pics and details in the thread linked in my signature.

I was also working on some rust in the window channels and such and installed a new radio all at the same time so those pics and discussion are all kind of mixed together.

Would have been between about January and March 2016 for looking at where to start with the posts.

I probably wasn't super detailed, so feel free to ask questions.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Not wired for fuel injection Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Your other challenges will be adding a return nipple to the fuel tank, installing a mount for the FI style air cleaner and cutting a slot for the ECU near the battery.

If I'm not mistaken, also drill and tap a hole under the air intake runner near cylinder #3 to house the engine temperature sensor.

In any case, if you undertake this project I'm sure you'll get help from many folks around here.

Decode your M-Plate
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Not wired for fuel injection Reply with quote

1977 FI Fuel Injection ID Pics
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=...ac#7224848
mystreybug65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Not wired for fuel injection Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I believe I have enough info. to ponder. Are the old VW FI systems fairly reliable?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Not wired for fuel injection Reply with quote

mystreybug65 wrote:
Thanks for the info. I believe I have enough info. to ponder. Are the old VW FI systems fairly reliable?

Very reliable, once you undo 40 years of neglect they are good for another 40+.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: