Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 331, 332, 333 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBurn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
ThisMetalMess wrote:
Alright I've got one.
My brother and I are doing a quick restore on his new project, 68 bay window. We got the trans installed from our donor parts bus a 69. All seemed fine until one Cv shaft mount out of one side seized, and shifting it into other gears or neutral didn't change it. Think of it as the whole rear backed up, cus we didn't have the wheels bolted to the axles.
Any ideas? Lol

Do you have an engine installed yet?, are the axles connected?

Tried to use my imagination but i could not figure out whats in or out except the trans.
70 T2 Model 221 *CARR FIRE Victim
70 T2 Model 231 *CARR FIRE Victim
RBurn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

This is being advertised as a 70 middle seat. At what point did the back rest have caps or a place for head rests? Is there a way to tell besides the arm rest placement?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Front

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

RBurn wrote:
This is being advertised as a 70 middle seat. At what point did the back rest have caps or a place for head rests? Is there a way to tell besides the arm rest placement?

The headrest holes started in 73, that looks like 74-75 or later from the squared off cushions, a close up of the vinyl pattern may narrow it down.

It'll still fit your 70 fine, but you'll lose points at Pebble beach if the judges see that Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
RBurn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
RBurn wrote:

The headrest holes started in 73, that looks like 74-75 or later from the squared off cushions, a close up of the vinyl pattern may narrow it down.

It'll still fit your 70 fine, but you'll lose points at Pebble beach if the judges see that Wink

So with a 70 cover i guess it would not look right? The caps or headrest holes protrude up ?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

RBurn wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
RBurn wrote:

So with a 70 cover i guess it would not look right? The caps or headrest holes protrude up ?

The headrest holes won't show, but you'll likely need to alter the padding so the edges are more rounded, not sure how the springs will interact with early covers.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
honeybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

How can I disconnect the wiring harness from the ECU?

Does the little tab at the bottom - left of the wiring harness connector need to be pressed UP or DOWN?

[/img]
'78 Westy ... purchased 11 Dec 06 ($9,000); sand blasted/primered 7 Jan 07 ($1,200); body shop 3 Apr 07 ($2,000); paint shop 7 Nov 07 ($6,000); home 22 Apr 08; started TLC 28 Aug 08; got very first sign of life 8 Jun 2010; Run about 1,000 miles in Florida in May 2011; 1,600 miles road trip Orlando-Key West-Aldie Virginia 10-26 Mar 2020 (COVID-19 started)

Thanks for all the fish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

honeybus wrote:
How can I disconnect the wiring harness from the ECU?

Does the little tab at the bottom - left of the wiring harness connector need to be pressed UP or DOWN?

[pic]

Down.

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Spray it with a little wd40. It will help break the seal.
RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Now that I got the correct clutch and starter for my '73 I finally have a running, drivable bus.

Next question is do I need different tin since this engine is out of a '79. I know there's probably a piece of tin missing from the left side but it seems that the engine is sitting lower in this bus than it did in the 79. I have a new seal that I bought maybe 5 years ago for the 79 and it looks too narrow.

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/RixiesRide/WW/
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

RixiesRide wrote:

Now that I got the correct clutch and starter for my '73 I finally have a running, drivable bus.

Next question is do I need different tin since this engine is out of a '79. I know there's probably a piece of tin missing from the left side but it seems that the engine is sitting lower in this bus than it did in the 79. I have a new seal that I bought maybe 5 years ago for the 79 and it looks too narrow.

The seal was the same from 1972-79.
http://www.jbugs.com/product/411-225.html

The engine cover plates should be the same. Unless you have the cutout for air conditioning on the left rear corner of the engine bay?
1972-73-74 Type IV (4) Engine Tin
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

RixiesRide,
Your bus probably had dealer AC at some point and time, resulting in the removal of the factory cooling tin on the lefthand side of the engine. This needed cooling tin is out there, I located mine via the classifieds here, bought out of the Carolinas for around $40/$50 bucks in pretty good shape. Don’t drive her around too much without that tin and seal in this summer heat!

Edit: I don’t know how I feel about a fiberglass repro part, but this is what you are after.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1947137
I’d say put up a wanted ad, folks have these lying around. Good luck.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marty_mcfly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

72 westy, rear wheel backing plate stuck. Took off the top bolt behind brake cylinder and two bolts above star adjusters. Looks like some kind of pin or bolt possibly broken off and certainly well-rusted in that third hole (at the vertex where the star adjuster housings converge).
Maybe this is a dumb question, but is that unusual? Can I drill that out?

I'm waiting on turtle-paced postal service for my Bentley manual, so please bear with me if there's something in there about this...

mechanicjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Is there a secret to pulling the fan on a Type IV engine. I pulled the bolts, she just doesn't want to come free.
2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ - The wife and kid mobile.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

marty_mcfly wrote:
72 westy, rear wheel backing plate stuck. Took off the top bolt behind brake cylinder and two bolts above star adjusters. Looks like some kind of pin or bolt possibly broken off and certainly well-rusted in that third hole (at the vertex where the star adjuster housings converge).
Maybe this is a dumb question, but is that unusual? Can I drill that out?

I'm waiting on turtle-paced postal service for my Bentley manual, so please bear with me if there's something in there about this...

It's a locating dowel, it usually stays in the spindle but sometimes comes off with the plate, a flat ended punch should get it moving.

Слава Україні!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

mechanicjay wrote:
Is there a secret to pulling the fan on a Type IV engine. I pulled the bolts, she just doesn't want to come free.

Rubber hammer, cock it to one side slightly and then the other to work it loose.

Слава Україні!
mechanicjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
mechanicjay wrote:

Rubber hammer, cock it to one side slightly and then the other to work it loose.

Okay, that's the route I was taking, but didn't seem to be making much progress...I'll keep knocking it about..
2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ - The wife and kid mobile.
marty_mcfly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

thanks busdaddy;

penetrating oil, heat and some good taps, the whole plate came off, dowel lodged in it. Work on getting it out tomorrow, hopefully the right side will be a bit more forgiving. And found the thread on this topic with the right nomenclature for the part. Smile
RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Tcash, thank you for that information.

SamboSamba, I'm certain that part was there when the engine was in the 79. Either got removed by the guy taking out the engine or the guy installing it. Thanks for the link to that ad. Now I know what to look for.

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/RixiesRide/WW/
Kabasue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What lube do people suggest I use on my steering knuckles, or is good old generic molly grease good enough?
73 Westy with a 411 engine (Finally Finished)
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Kabasue wrote:
What lube do people suggest I use on my steering knuckles, or is good old generic molly grease good enough?

What do you plan on greasing? Do your ball joints have zerk fittings? Or are you asking about the spindle shafts where the wheel bearings ride?

Or do you have a Brazilian bus with king-pin front suspension?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 331, 332, 333 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 332 of 515

Jump to: