Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

53 or 54? And Barndoor Steering Locks
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jondoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: 53 or 54? And Barndoor Steering Locks Reply with quote

I once owned a 1953 Transporter, but maybe it was a 54? It's been 40 years - gimme a break! Whatever blanks can be filled in would be appreciated.
I don't remember door or ignition locks. I DO remember putting a pad lock on the driver's door, and believe I had to pin the other doors from the inside - but maybe they had locks and I just didn't have a key.
It had a small silver starter button (like in the pictures) and a switch for the ignition. But I don't remember if it was a factory switch or just a switch someone added.
This was a very basic model. It had the six side windows in the cabin, so I'm guessing it may have originally come with seats, tho there were none when I bought it.
Did they make any without a keyed ignition switch?
Did they all come with door locks?
When did they start importing them to the States?

I've been trying to recall details of the van, and separate that from all the other vans I've seen... and the cobwebs in between. I finally found a few pictures of 54's with the 'bullnose' air intake above the windshield, and I guess that is what I had.
Did ALL 54's have that? Only certain ones? How about 53's? Was it just passive, or powered by a fan? It seems I've seen it both ways. I would guess that factory models were works in progress and may not have all been the same over the model year.
What was the knob I saw in one picture that was underneath the front seat?
Not the choke or heater controls, but something directly under the seat.
I don't know how often these beasts hit the streets, but I'm guessing a big, bright center tail/brake light that could be stuck in the back window would be a nice addition. Those tail lights would have been brighter with a candle in place of the bulb.
Reduction gears??? The online manual (THANKS!) shows a reduction gearbox at each end of the drive axels. Would all 53 or 54s have had this? Again, (like an attorney general...) I don't recall. I was a mechanic back then and thought I would have remembered something this odd. Was this an option? I once had 14 people stuffed in the van going from one party to another. I needed all the gear reduction I could get! And bigger tires. Luckily - we were all slim back then.
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not of what you have said narrows it down to a 53 or a 54.

drivers door had key lock handle from outside, passengers did not (locked from inside)

53 and 53 both had silver starter button

Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 or 54? Reply with quote

jondoe wrote:
I once owned a 1953 Transporter, but maybe it was a 54? It's been 40 years - gimme a break! Whatever blanks can be filled in would be appreciated.
I don't remember door or ignition locks. I DO remember putting a pad lock on the driver's door, and believe I had to pin the other doors from the inside - but maybe they had locks and I just didn't have a key.
It had a small silver starter button (like in the pictures) and a switch for the ignition. But I don't remember if it was a factory switch or just a switch someone added.
This was a very basic model. It had the six side windows in the cabin, so I'm guessing it may have originally come with seats, tho there were none when I bought it.
Did they make any without a keyed ignition switch?
Did they all come with door locks?
When did they start importing them to the States?

I've been trying to recall details of the van, and separate that from all the other vans I've seen... and the cobwebs in between. I finally found a few pictures of 54's with the 'bullnose' air intake above the windshield, and I guess that is what I had.
Did ALL 54's have that? Only certain ones? How about 53's? Was it just passive, or powered by a fan? It seems I've seen it both ways. I would guess that factory models were works in progress and may not have all been the same over the model year.
What was the knob I saw in one picture that was underneath the front seat?
Not the choke or heater controls, but something directly under the seat.
I don't know how often these beasts hit the streets, but I'm guessing a big, bright center tail/brake light that could be stuck in the back window would be a nice addition. Those tail lights would have been brighter with a candle in place of the bulb.
Reduction gears??? The online manual (THANKS!) shows a reduction gearbox at each end of the drive axels. Would all 53 or 54s have had this? Again, (like an attorney general...) I don't recall. I was a mechanic back then and thought I would have remembered something this odd. Was this an option? I once had 14 people stuffed in the van going from one party to another. I needed all the gear reduction I could get! And bigger tires. Luckily - we were all slim back then.

In which State did you have the vehicle registered and what is your last name? I have friends in DC that can look up that information for you and tell you whether it was a 53 or 54.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jondoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Jon Doeringer Reply with quote

I bought it in Cleveland in 1968. It was then registered in Mass by 69.
thanks
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 or 54? Reply with quote

the drivers door, side door, and engine lid would have locks. No key on the outside for passenger front door.

They had a key to turn the ignition on, then a button to press to do the starter.

If it had the 6 side windows in the back, it would have had seats back there when new (middle seat maybe maybe not) but hey people can take those out to haul stuff, and leave them somewhere else.

More of those years were brought into the states by individuals than sold at VW dealers, but yes there were 53s and 54s around in the 60s. I did have a 54 bus that was sold new at Walker Motor Company in Kennewick, WA.

The air vent that hangs over the nose is a Behr intake. These were used from 54-55, there was a different air scoop that didn't hang over the front that was 53 & earlier. The Behr version had electric fans, the earlier version had no fans. I am not sure when exactly they switched from the one kind to the other. Yes, changes were often nothing to do with model year... maybe they switched from one kind to another in Feb 54, or Sept 53. They did use the earlier ones in June 53. The air vents were an option, many didn't have them.

I don't know what knob would be under the seat except heater & choke, but people add things.

Yes, all 67 & earlier buses came with reduction gears, including 53s and 54s

If you find any old pics of your bus, please share!
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 or 54? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

Clara, pictures would be nice but he said that he doesn't have any.

On a completely different subject can someone help me with today's word puzzle:

S _ _ N _ N _ _ _ N _
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 or 54? Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
Clara wrote:

Clara, pictures would be nice but he said that he doesn't have any.

On a completely different subject can someone help me with today's word puzzle:

S _ _ N _ N _ _ _ N _

Would this have anything to do with me uncle Patrick who would say standing out in front of a Pub down on Temple Bar Lane, Dublin, Ireland............"Aye, it's eight terty in da mornin. Almost noon, so it's time for me pint". Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jondoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 or 54? Reply with quote

It was a 1954. I paid $80 for it in 1968. That is about $570 today. I recently sold my 20yo Villager van for $1400. It was light years ahead in quality and comfort. But didn't have the soul of the VW. (or a Vincent '52...)
But the bus did have all the comfort and horsepower of a riding mower.
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 or 54? Reply with quote

Wow... Brought back from the dead thead! Wanted to reminisce again after 10 years?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:27 pm    Post subject: Ignition switch or not... Reply with quote

Whilst searching I found this thread which seems as good a place as any for my question:

I am planning on installing a steering column lock on my barndoor. This has an ignition switch in it so I assume I ca=n make my ignition switch in the dash pod redundant.

If I do that, why not remove it and fit a blank like this one:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the only one I have ever seen - were they common? Are they available today?

It looks pretty factory - nice fit and a fuse too:

Many thanks,

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 or 54? Reply with quote

There is lots of steering locks for sale and recently I discussed it with user Beaterbarndoor that the radius for the locks appear to be larger than a bus column. Meaning once the lock is placed over the tube it has slop in it seen in some busses taken up with a rubber of some sort. Does your lock fit snuggly around the column?

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 or 54? Reply with quote

gatorwyatt wrote:
There is lots of steering locks for sale and recently I discussed it with user Beaterbarndoor that the radius for the locks appear to be larger than a bus column. Meaning once the lock is placed over the tube it has slop in it seen in some busses taken up with a rubber of some sort. Does your lock fit snuggly around the column?

That's a tricky one to answer as my bus is on one continent and I'm on another. I hope to pick up a steering box and column tomorrow so should be able to answer then, just not installed in the bus. Watch this space 😊

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch or not... Reply with quote

bally wrote:

I'm told this is a feature of post war (possibly even used during the war) military spec beetles.

Cheers. Dave
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 or 54? Reply with quote

If it was on the early beetles then it would be the fat steering column used on 52 and earlier barndoors. Might explain the sometimes loose fitting?
BeaterBarndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 or 54? Reply with quote

I’ve been looking around for a lock for my bus(54) and with questions to some sellers, measurements always seem to come back as the diameter of the beetle locks. I’m convinced pretty much all the locks listed as “Barndoor” are really just beetle(or whatever euro car it may fit) and listed As BD because it is black.

Yes, still technically BD because it should work fine for the earlier fatter columns..

I’m nearly convinced that the locks for 53-55 are either nonexistent or so rare that you are not likely to find one.

The usual vintage (Factory?) photo that floats around ,I suspect may be the earlier fatter column. Hard to say.

If you think about it, installing the “beetle” lock to a 53-55 bus column does no good. The lock casing itself has raised bumps to hold it into place on the column outer housing and then when put into lock position the lock shaft then pushes further into the column onto the sleeve welded to the column shaft.
Due to the size difference, the beetle lock would barely even lock onto the later style outer housing of the steer box.

It may look the part but completely useless and a lot of money.

I would love to see a real example of a lock that would fit the 53-55 buses.

Whaaaaat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 or 54? Reply with quote

My parts book lists two different locks - pre and post chassis 20-041711 which is when the column changed. The early lock has part number 929 051, the later one is 929 051a which then became 211 929 051a. My lock fits a tube with OD 42mm. I'm not sure if that's early or late. I can go BD no part number on it.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 or 54? Reply with quote

This thread may help, at least with some measurements:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=442411

Quote:
I’m nearly convinced that the locks for 53-55 are either nonexistent or so rare that you are not likely to find one.

I absolutely agree they are rare and 99.9999% of the "Barndoor" locks being sold have the wrong measurements for a late Barndoor.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BeaterBarndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 or 54? Reply with quote

The later column measures out at about 32mm. Beetle style measures about 42mm
Good info on the part numbers. I had been trying to find if that existed In the parts book. Never ran across it but now see it in the electrical section.

So it did exist for later bus according to the parts book. Seems odd it wouldn’t , but still, It would be good to see proof that someone actually has one.

Whaaaaat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 or 54? Reply with quote

Factory photo mentioned above

My '55 from a few years ago. This could be the wrong one but it bolts up to the column:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: 53 or 54? Reply with quote

the factory photo appears to be a 53 ? early speedo, double fuse box, no indentation on the lower speedo pod edge. Probably the bolt holes for the og column mount clamp have been touched up, as usual with factory manual pics.

BTW what key style does this lock use, and is there a key# on the cyl anywhere? Mine is missing the key unfortunately. It's an early fat column.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: