Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thank you
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knusprige Flicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Hi
My name is Ross, I've been a member for a little while, a lurker for quite awhile. Owned a 74 super autostick in the early 80s as a teen and have been in love ever since. When my son got old enough to drive, I introduced him to Vws as a way to teach him how to maintain/ mechanic a very dependable set of the wheels.
I just want to extend my gratitude to The Samba and all its members for the wealth of knowledge they have shared with me.
I own 2 1973 Supers, both beige, one is a restoration project, and the other is my 17 year old sons fair weather daily driver. With all the information on this site, we have gotten the daily driver in great mechanical shape, enough so that we are taking it on a 2200 mile roadtrip starting July 20. From middle Tennessee to Marquette Michigan and back with a few detours and stopovers along the way
We've owned the car for about 1 year, pan, channels, and rest of undercarriage are in great shape, passenger side floor had been replaced , death foam needs attention, hope to tackle that this winter. The car had been sitting in a garage for about 8 years when we bought it. Paid $2000. Some of the things we've done over the past year are:
:New Master and wheel cylinders, and soft lines and inspect hard lines
:Starter
:Purchased correct DVDA from Tasb to replace the 009, sweet
:Rebuilt the Solex 34-3 and installed a screw in hose barb to fix loose hose barb
:New Bosch generator, old one worked but the one of the segments that the brushes ride on came out , took shroud off while engine was in car, inspected oil cooler for leaks, and cooling fins for mice, pressure washed 40 years of grime from the inside of shroud
:Rewired the license plate light, looked like wires had gotten into the fan at some point
: The po had replaced alot of the front suspension, but not all, so after checking it out, we put a couple of tie rod ends on it. No shimmy
: Plugs, wires and all the routine maintenance of course
I think we're as ready as we'll ever be
I'll post some pics along the way, again, THANKS TO ALL OF THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE THIS SITE GREAT
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

Your welcome if I at all helped in any way to your success.

Very cool that you're taking it on such an adventure. Absolutely post pics along the way during you trip.

Make sure to take along some spares. You just never know.

On a trip with my Mom in the 70's we pulled off the hiway at a rest stop. Upon deceleration the engine died and we costed to a parking spot. I pulled the dist cap and found one of the point contacts had fallen off the arm. We called a tow service (at 1:00am) and asked if they could bring us a set of points. Luckily they brought the proper set and I installed them with a screw driver, flashlight(my Mom held) and a match book cover(to set the gap). The engine fired right up and we were on our way in no time. Now I always carry a match book in the door pocket of my daily driver, while the complete tune up parts reside in the trunk. On a long trip I carry a spare 009 set and ready to go JIC.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Knusprige Flicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you. I'm bringing a spare throttle and clutch cable, fuel pump, points, condensor, belt , ignition wire, scrap wires and a few terminals, coat hanger , duct tape and a spare voltage regulator just because I have one. I try to bring enough tools to do most repairs on the road.
I hope I dont need them but Knock on wood, I think I'm prepared

Last edited by Knusprige Flicken on Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J Flare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

2k to make priceless memories with your 17 year old, sign me up!
Knusprige Flicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

J Flare wrote:
2k to make priceless memories with your 17 year old, sign me up!

My thoughts exactly, also, I never seen anything wrong with a 17 year old wrenching on his car to keep it going. 😀 Here he is not long after we got it adjusting the valves. Before we installed the correct distributor with cap and put the 73 and up air cleaner on it
Knusprige Flicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

Well, bad luck or good luck has struck, depending how you look at it. Last night we were finalizing sone tweaks to the dwell and carb on the bug when I noticed the fuel pump looked wet around the shaft. Sure enough it was gas, although this pump appears to have a weep hole and there was a minimal amount on the gasket when I took it off. After looking at the garbage offered at the flaps, we've decided to not risk driving it on our used spare pump. We were really looking forward to driving something with some class, but it's not gonna happen. I'm about to order a rebuilt pierburg pump from a samba member so maybe it will be here when we get back from our trip. I had put a new rebuildable pump from autozone on it last year when we got the car and it literally lasted about 30 mile, luckily we had left the original rebuildable pump in the car and changed it on the side of the road, the quality of the parts offered at alot of these store is atrocious.
We are going to recognize this experience for the omen that it is, better that it happened in the garage then while on the road. I'll take pics of the pump I have when I get back, and will try to send it off for rebuild, I didnt recognize the name or markings on it. Will probably start a new thread in the technical section to show what all we've done up to this point
Thanks again folks, you're the greatest
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

Bummer....recommend Ed Fall at Vintage Werks for pump rebuild.
Knusprige Flicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll check him out
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

Just realized your car is a '73......not sure what pump it uses or if Ed builds them. But worth checking.

What is your departure date? Not enough time to get new pump before you leave?
Knusprige Flicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

We are leaving tomorrow, July 21. Planning another trip in October, VW road trip will have to wait till then. The pump that is on it is a rebuildable type, but I'll have to check to see who rebuilds them. I've read some bad things about alot of the rebuild kits, or I'd do it myself. There is a Samba member who I've noticed having classified ads with rebuilt pumps that fit my engine, looks like he's worked out a system of using the kits with modifications to make them work. Not sure of the engine size or block classification, number stamp area is blank. But it is a dual port that runs great, no oil burn or knocks, end play is perfect, valves have stayed adjusted for the past year with approximately 12000 miles driven and only very minor adjustments, mainly to satisfy my OCD. 😂
Thanks for tip about vintage werks, I'll check into his pumps
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

Ed Fall has rebuilt fuel pumps and carburetors for me. I'm happy with his work.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: