Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

I guess if you "really" want to buy one of these cars - specifically a Magnum - you might be able to find one if you're patient. I just Googled Magnum GT kit car and a couple of sale ads popped up from last year. Few and far between, but apparently some show up from time to time. Top dollar too, expect to pay in excess of $10K if you can find one. I guess all the factory cars were built with Mazda power.

I'd need to see one in person to decide if I really like it in terms of the flow of the lines and overall appearance - pictures don't often tell the whole story. The old-style wind-wing windows might clash with the otherwise flowing lines of the roof?

Jeff
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

This is the nicest one I have ever seen and its for sale . $13,000 or or so (It will sell for less) http://fiberclassics.org/magnum-gt-handcrafted-car-for-sale/

GS guy wrote:
I guess if you "really" want to buy one of these cars - specifically a Magnum - you might be able to find one if you're patient. I just Googled Magnum GT kit car and a couple of sale ads popped up from last year. Few and far between, but apparently some show up from time to time. Top dollar too, expect to pay in excess of $10K if you can find one. I guess all the factory cars were built with Mazda power.

I'd need to see one in person to decide if I really like it in terms of the flow of the lines and overall appearance - pictures don't often tell the whole story. The old-style wind-wing windows might clash with the otherwise flowing lines of the roof?

Jeff

woodoctr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

I think that's a pretty great deal on that car. I run the supercharged version of that same engine in my Bremen Sebring. Before I went with the supercharger we ran it just naturally aspirated for a few years and it was very fun, fast, and economical. I'd easily believe that 180 h.p. rating. Mine was bench dynoed and broken in and was producing in the 220 range. Lightweight kit cars feel "right" with rotaries in them.... and yeah, yeah, I know subies are the way to go nowadays.....to each his own.....
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

I also agree that seems like a good deal on that Magnum GT.
I recall an old feature article, probably in VW Greats about a Speedster (probably a real one, wasn't uncommon to stuff a big-bore VW in a Speedster back in those days Shocked ) that had a rotary engine. The one thing that stuck in my mind was that it revved "forever" - 10K I think was the number quoted. They were - and are still - cool engines! I was hoping Mazda would bring back the RX, 7, 9 whatever, but that doesn't look like it's happening any time soon. I guess the Achilles heel is the gas mileage, but the RPM range is incredible. I guess the overall smoothness plays a big part too. I just can't figure why Mazda didn't ever run a mechanical supercharger on the rotary. Seems like the perfect solution for the lack of low-end torque.
Jeff
woodoctr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

Yeah, supercharging makes a big difference in "driveability" in these engines as you've got torque coming on as low as 1500 rpm out to the superchargers' max. rev limit of 8500 rpm (super is spinning 3 times faster than the motor). My motor uses a balanced rotating assembly and indeed was run out to 10,000 rpm when it was initially dynoed. As for the rotaries coming back, Mazda keeps making announcements, every year or so about the new 16x (that would make it 1.6 displacement) but alas nothing has showed. With the current quality of newer seals seems like it should be here..... Buddy of mine thinks that with a displacement increase the motor would be a natural for twin charging (supercharger on the bottom end, larger turbo spinning at higher rpm).
ToyBoxFool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

Good Evening, I have purchased one of those Magnum Dino 246 GT replica's a coupe years ago. I have read as many posts about these cars and yet to find any answers to where even they were buying there parts. I am in need of the side mirrors, door locks and latches for the 3 hatches. Curious to know why they did not put the gas tank behind the driver in that hood area allowing a rear access door for filling instead of raising front hood. Any help in locating these or similar parts would be appreciated.
Vito85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

hi there, there is a Kelmarkgt free forum . org , they may be able ti help you

Im a kelmark owner and we like the magnum gt too

good luck and God bless
serf2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

I have one of the 1st Magnums produced. It never got assembled till 03 when I purchased the kit and assembled it. I also have all the original advertising and literature that was available in the mid 80's.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

serf2 wrote:
I have one of the 1st Magnums produced. It never got assembled till 03 when I purchased the kit and assembled it. I also have all the original advertising and literature that was available in the mid 80's.
Go to the Kelmark Forum. We want you there! Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
CanuckTRman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

Kylin and jmccar56 were you able to resolve the issue of who owns the rights to the Magnum GT? Do either of you have a chassis or any running gear for sale? I have a pristine body but need everything else.
serf2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

Hi All
Not sure if anyone is still following this Forum on the Magnum GT. I am getting ready to sell mine and just wanted to put it out there. I have a large collection of original sales literature and a hand written instruction manual as well as a lot of other information on them. Does anyone know if Lyle Mader is still around. If so does anyone have new contact information for him? [img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

^ That looks nicely built. Where in PA are you? Never seen the car at Carlisle in the past years Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimmy rockford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

serf2 wrote:
Hi All
Not sure if anyone is still following this Forum on the Magnum GT. I am getting ready to sell mine and just wanted to put it out there. I have a large collection of original sales literature and a hand written instruction manual as well as a lot of other information on them. Does anyone know if Lyle Mader is still around. If so does anyone have new contact information for him? [img]

[/img]

Hello, I'm a new member here and can't PM for 24 hours. I am interested to learn more about your car.

Is it currently for sale?
Thanks,
jimmy rockford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

PM sent.
jimmy rockford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

CanuckTRman wrote:
Kylin and jmccar56 were you able to resolve the issue of who owns the rights to the Magnum GT? Do either of you have a chassis or any running gear for sale? I have a pristine body but need everything else.

Hello CanuckTRman, you have a PM,

Trying to gather info regarding Magnum body shells or if possible complete cars already in Ontario.

Any info you can provide is appreciated, if you consider selling your body please let me know?

Thanks,
ghiacrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

I have seen that red magnum with the mazda engine at the local cars and coffee in Co Springs and it is real clean. I considered but the wife wanted to go topless, as in convertible. I did have a neat Kelmark I got out of Grand Junction years ago, and that was cool. I just panic in traffic knowing I am sitting in a fiberglass shell and would never walk away from any accident, so that got sold pretty quick, same with my 356 speedster. Wish I still had them though...Final note, I did work with Barry Goldstein in the 80's in N Cal for Eagle Manufacturing, putting those bodies onto Porsche 914's. That was a very interesting summer..ah memories..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimmy rockford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

Still trying to reach serf2 regarding his Magnum GT or Canuck TRman?

Thanks
bobbynickoli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

Finally finishing restoration of Magnum I purchased a few years ago. Just thought I'd put that out there. I am still looking for info on the car and the maker.

weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

Good looking car
vahe1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

hello there . I have a Magnum GT I need a rear plexiglass. Anyone knows where to locate one please PM me
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: