Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice Please
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Advice Please Reply with quote

Hi
I am in need of some expert advice on tires.
I am presently running 205/70/15s on my 73 Thing. I have the opportunity to get a set of Michelin 205/65/15 almost new for free. Would these work on my Thing? Thanks to all in advance.
AngelDeVille
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice Please Reply with quote

The new set will be 1" shorter. 25" vs your old 26" height.

Suck it up, Buttercup!
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Advice Please Reply with quote

Do you think it will look good?
AngelDeVille
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice Please Reply with quote

Nikkoleto wrote:
Do you think it will look good?

It will look better than sitting up on blocks with no tires.

Suck it up, Buttercup!
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice Please Reply with quote

I typically run 205/65/15 on the front and 205/70/15 on the rear. I replaced the rear tires a few months ago and they measure 25.5" installed at 30psi.

They look fine with the staggered sizes but I do like the larger tires on the rear since it effects gearing.

I need new front tires now and am considering going with 195/65/15s since I cannot find any 205/65/15 that I like, I just hope they will not be too short. I think I did the calculation and it is only like 1/4 to 1/2" in diameter difference between the two.
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice Please Reply with quote

Is there anyone else running205/65/15 tires on their Thing. If so do you have a photo of what they look like? I'm getting ready to put them on mine and I'd really like to know how they look before I took the plunge. Thanks advance
NY thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice Please Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is my thing with those tires.
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice Please Reply with quote

How wide are those rims? The offset looks to be really low (0 to 10 mm?)

Any rubbing issues?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NY thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice Please Reply with quote

911pickup wrote:
How wide are those rims? The offset looks to be really low (0 to 10 mm?)

Any rubbing issues?

If I remember correctly they are 7 inches wide all around. The front is disc brakes so that may have stuck the wheels out further. It did rub a bit in the back even with the torsion bars reindexed. The front rubbed bad until I put a nice swaybar in.
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Advice Please Reply with quote

NY Thing

Your Thing looks great. However my Thing is not raised or lowered. Just normal height.
NY thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Advice Please Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is at stock height.
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Advice Please Reply with quote

Hi and thanks for the photo. I couldn't tell but did the tires stick out of the side of the fenders? Our those standard with rims 5.5? Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: