Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Road trip, NY to Charleston, SC yes/no?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip, NY to Charleston, SC yes/no? Reply with quote

snydley100 wrote:

WOW! That's brilliant!! Laughing What a difference, 1 stupid question though, the picture on that webpage shows 4 LED "bulbs", but nowhere in the description does it say "for 4 bulbs", or "each,or "one pair". How many do you get for $110?
Did you every change the headlights?
Thanks,
Snyde

Yes the CuLayer brake light LEDs are very good; that pic doesn't really do them justice. Quite bright in daylight as well and of course the "instant-on" type of reaction that is typical of LEDs.

Personally I don't usually like the character of LED light especially on an old car but I'll make an exception for these brake lights. Smile

They are $100 each - you want the red LED version and then you have to make sure you get the right one for your setup - single filament or dual filament. If your taillight and brake light are the same bulb, get the dual filament version. If you have a standalone brake light, then single filament.

Don't hesitate to message Jim (the guy who makes the CuLayer LEDs) through his site, he's very responsive and will help make sure you get the right thing.

As for headlights, I'm not sold on LED headlights based on what's currently out there. I did get rid of the sealed beams (garbage) and replace with Cibie H4 housings with Euro-spec beam pattern and H4 halogen bulbs. Properly aimed, these are fantastic headlights with a great beam pattern (if you've ever driven a car with a Euro beam pattern you will know what I mean).

Here's a great site to learn more about headlights (and where I got my Cibies):

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip, NY to Charleston, SC yes/no? Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
snydley100 wrote:

WOW! That's brilliant!! Laughing What a difference, 1 stupid question though, the picture on that webpage shows 4 LED "bulbs", but nowhere in the description does it say "for 4 bulbs", or "each,or "one pair". How many do you get for $110?
Thanks,
Snyde

Yes the CuLayer brake light LEDs are very good; that pic doesn't really do them justice. Quite bright in daylight as well and of course the "instant-on" type of reaction that is typical of LEDs.

Personally I don't usually like the character of LED light especially on an old car but I'll make an exception for these brake lights. Smile

They are $100 each - you want the red LED version and then you have to make sure you get the right one for your setup - single filament or dual filament. If your taillight and brake light are the same bulb, get the dual filament version. If you have a standalone brake light, then single filament.

Don't hesitate to message Jim (the guy who makes the CuLayer LEDs) through his site, he's very responsive and will help make sure you get the right thing.

As for headlights, I'm not sold on LED headlights based on what's currently out there. I did get rid of the sealed beams (garbage) and replace with Cibie H4 housings with Euro-spec beam pattern and H4 halogen bulbs. Properly aimed, these are fantastic headlights with a great beam pattern (if you've ever driven a car with a Euro beam pattern you will know what I mean).

Yes we had an ongoing dialog with Jim Franzen of CuLayer here from 2009 -2011 on Leds for Lowlight 6v cars. We started out trying to find a solution for the cronically under-lit rear lights of the early Ghias and finally came up with what now appear to be a generic fitment for all Ghia rear lights: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5416385#5416385
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snydley100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip, NY to Charleston, SC yes/no? Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
snydley100 wrote:

Thanks,
Snyde

Thanks again for the help! So it's $220./pair with shipping? I'm afraid I'm passing on that one. I find that to be price gouging! I'll look for a different alternative if that's the price !
Snyde
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip, NY to Charleston, SC yes/no? Reply with quote

snydley100 wrote:

Thanks again for the help! So it's $220./pair with shipping? I'm afraid I'm passing on that one. I find that to be price gouging! I'll look for a different alternative if that's the price !
Snyde

Understandable, your '74 Ghia had the most visible rear lights anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snydley100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip, NY to Charleston, SC yes/no? Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
snydley100 wrote:

Snyde

Understandable, your '74 Ghia had the most visible rear lights anyway.

It's really too bad they're so expensive because they're absolutely incredible, but my money doesn't stretch far enough to pay $110/bulb. I'll just have to find a second best alternative.
Another question. I put LED turn signal mirrors on one of my Harleys and I had to install power resistors between the turn signal + wire and ground, because without those the turn signal blinked way too fast. Is that necessary to do this for the turn signals on this application too?
Thanks,
Snyde
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip, NY to Charleston, SC yes/no? Reply with quote

Quote:
What is the "stand off" you talk about? When I go to that link it takes me to a page that has a "Muffler to Heater Hose Connector Pipe" part on it. Is this what you meant, or is there another page with the standoff on it?

Snyde, yes, that connector pipe/collar is the part I meant. It acts as a spacer for the engine lid when you slip it over the "funnel" on the Ghia's latch-
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Although I don't have a shot of the collar in place on the latch, here's a shot of my Ghia with the collar in place so you can see that it raises up the engine lid "slightly". But there's alot of exposed area for the air to come in along the sides of the lid, and some along the bottom edge especially when moving.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip, NY to Charleston, SC yes/no? Reply with quote

snydley100 wrote:
[

Snyde

$200 per pair and I believe shipping was included but I don't recall. The white LED is $110; the red one is $100. The red one is the one you want.

Quality costs money!

Regarding the Daniel Stern page, he used to have a really good lighting FAQ on that site but it looks like he took it down. Pity.
snydley100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip, NY to Charleston, SC yes/no? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:
What is the "stand off" you talk about? When I go to that link it takes me to a page that has a "Muffler to Heater Hose Connector Pipe" part on it. Is this what you meant, or is there another page with the standoff on it?

Snyde, yes, that connector pipe/collar is the part I meant. It acts as a spacer for the engine lid when you slip it over the "funnel" on the Ghia's latch-

Although I don't have a shot of the collar in place on the latch, here's a shot of my Ghia with the collar in place so you can see that it raises up the engine lid "slightly". But there's alot of exposed area for the air to come in along the sides of the lid, and some along the bottom edge especially when moving.

I see. I take it you just let gravity do the work to keep the lid down, and you don't latch it or did you alter the collar and attach it to the funnel and cut the correct size hole in it for the lid connecting "shaft"?
I'm 1 month away from leaving for Charleston to see the eclipse. I better put the Harleys up for a little while and concentrate on the few things I have to do to get this thing ready for the trip.
Gorgeous car, BTW! What year?
Thanks again,
Snyde
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip, NY to Charleston, SC yes/no? Reply with quote

I have bought from superbrights and always got good quality bulbs, reasonable prices.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/tail-brake-turn/brake+lights/
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Figment
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip, NY to Charleston, SC yes/no? Reply with quote

How do those superbrights handle the "2 filaments in 1 bulb" application?

Do they have 4 LEDs on the tail light circuit and the other 8 on the brake light circuit or something like that?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: