Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EMPI vs Flat 4 Fuchs - Don't waste money on Flat 4s
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetskibob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: EMPI vs Flat 4 Fuchs - Don't waste money on Flat 4s Reply with quote

I've asked on here, I've called shops that sell both. The most common answer by the venders who sell both, the Flat 4s are better, when I ask why, they say,,, "They just look more like the real ones vs the EMPI versions."

I can't imagine the mark up on Flat 4s are that much more than EMPI that ALL the shops would give the same answer that the Flat 4s are better.

Nonetheless here is the answer... I put Flat 4s on my car, they looked great, so just for curiosity, I got an EMPI 4.5 as a spare. Guess what... THEY ARE IDENTICAL!!

Here are the ONLY differences.
1) There are 2 different makings next to the valve stem, they are reverses when you compare the two wheels
2) The EMPIs include a center cap
3) The EPMI center cap fit better
4) The EMPI center cap says EMPI the Flat 4s say STUTTGART

My suggestion... BUY THE EMPIs. I only have a 4.5 to compare, and they say they make a "deep 6" but I have yet to see anyone who sells it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ian M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Empi did do a descent job on the 4.5 and 5.5,but they screwed the pooch on the deep six. I've had my hands on both brands, just got a pair of the Empi deep sixes in last week.

The spokes are too wide looking and flat on the Empi deep six for starters, it's obvious what they are at a quick glance. The chrome is pretty lousy too. The chrome looks like polished aluminum that's been DA'd and not fully polished, and has that flash plated gold look in between the spokes. Count on having to paint detail the insets! Paint detailed, they look "OK" but not nearly as good as the Flat 4s.
1.from.the.islands
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have a more recent word on flat 4 vs empi fake fuchs? I was told the empi deep 6s look better now and their chrome is better after initial poorer quality, but this came from someone who advertises flat 4s but is now trying to sell empis because the flat 4s are unavailable for some reason. Thanks.
1956vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Current comments on this subject? I have talked with shops as well but more importantly a few guys who specialize in detailing fuchs. One says EMPI all the way "Flat 4" is a waste of money and quality has gotten worse.

Another detail guy says Flat 4.

Has anyone had issues with empi chrome over time? Any current input/advice?... purchasing soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ssx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI vs Flat 4 Fuchs - Don't waste money on Flat 4s Reply with quote

Not sure if MWS makes the EMPI fuchs or not... but I just bought a car with chrome 4.5 and 5.5 fuchs. When I took them off, MWS is stamped on the back of the rims. The chrome is absolute crap. The wheels are less than a year old and flaking and peeling in places. The chrome is very, very thin and almost has a gold'ish tinge in places. I had to paint detail them to hide the flaws.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI vs Flat 4 Fuchs - Don't waste money on Flat 4s Reply with quote

Thank you for the comparison / info.
Just sitting in pure comparisonland for a second... I got a kick out of this sentence & the follow up:
jetskibob wrote:
Guess what... THEY ARE IDENTICAL!!

Here are the ONLY differences.

Mr.Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI vs Flat 4 Fuchs - Don't waste money on Flat 4s Reply with quote

Anything new on the deep 6 empi wheels? I've been doing a lot of searching and digging on this and i can't tell the difference in the. With looking at photos. The only thing I see is that there might be a slight more flatness in the center of the spokes on the empi wheels. Very slight though. Just seeing if anyone has seen first hand of the quality on them vs flat 4 of recent
Dogo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI vs Flat 4 Fuchs - Don't waste money on Flat 4s Reply with quote

Mr.Ragtop wrote:
Anything new on the deep 6 empi wheels? I've been doing a lot of searching and digging on this and i can't tell the difference in the. With looking at photos. The only thing I see is that there might be a slight more flatness in the center of the spokes on the empi wheels. Very slight though. Just seeing if anyone has seen first hand of the quality on them vs flat 4 of recent

Yes. This. No one with recent experience on chromed 6s, either empi or flat4?
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI vs Flat 4 Fuchs - Don't waste money on Flat 4s Reply with quote

Dogo wrote:
Mr.Ragtop wrote:

Yes. This. No one with recent experience on chromed 6s, either empi or flat4?

The empi 6's spokes are flatter near the cap, where the 5.5's I used up front (different brand, don't remember, from CIP1) have the slightly rounded spoke faces like they should. I've had real deep 6 Fuchs and there is a noticeable difference when placed side by side, but it's not extreme. You'd have to be a Fuchs snob to spot the difference. The 5.5's are great- properly shaped and no stampings around the valve stem.

The thing I don't like is that the "chrome" version isn't chrome, it's a sprayed on coating that looks like chrome. I wish I'd known that up front. It's great for a daily driver but wouldn't be appropriate on a show car.

5.5 front (JBW maybe?), and Empi 6" rear. Both from CIP1, both with the same sprayed on chrome finish.

This angle sort of shows the flatness of the spoke near the cap. It makes the spoke look slightly wider.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: